Pink Triangle PT1 Lead block?

light fantastic
AndyN01

Pink Triangle PT1 Lead block?

Post by AndyN01 » 27 Dec 2015 14:46

Hi all,

First Post so please excuse if this info is lurking somewhere that I've missed.

I have a PT1 (I think, triangular speed selector) with Audio Technica AT1100 arm.

While trying to track down a channel problem (turned out to be a arm cable duff connection to the phono plug) I "found" a block of lead (?) about 20mm cube rattling around under the tone arm bolts. It looks as if it was stuck/glued (?) to something at some point in history.

Any insight into what this is/does and where it should be would be greatly appreciated.

Hope you all had a good Xmas. Looking forward to a vinyl filled 2016.....

Regards,

Andy.

PinkTrichard

Re: Pink Triangle PT1 Lead block?

Post by PinkTrichard » 27 Dec 2015 15:11

Hi Andy

Theres a Pink Triangle section of the forum where this might have got picked up. The lead block is to make the tonearm plus weight mass correct. The turntable was designed so that the centre of mass of the sub-chassis is at the centre of suspension - the transit bolt, providing the mass at the armboard is correct. So when Pink Triangle supplied armboards, they were not just holes cut for the right arm - but adjusted to make the total mass of the armboard and arm correct

abril
long player
long player
Georgia

Post by abril » 27 Dec 2015 15:54

Was probably glued to the underside of the armboard,and as the glue has dried out it has fallen off.
Might be worthwhile glueing it back to the top surface of the subchassis under the armboard or very close to it.

AndyN01

Post by AndyN01 » 28 Dec 2015 09:06

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Andy

tim_bissell
Great Britain

Post by tim_bissell » 31 Dec 2015 19:26

AndyN01 wrote:Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Andy
I would stick it on the top side near the back, and with non-permanent adhesive (e.g. Evo-stik or double-sided tape) you will need to adjust the suspension afterwards!

-- Tim

ProfTournesol

Post by ProfTournesol » 21 Apr 2016 02:05

Incidentally the weight that the turntable is balanced at is when using an 800g tonearm. My Stogi Reference weighs 800g and Arthur told me that was way I didn't need any weighting with lead or anything else