Glass platter mats?

light fantastic
Big Al

Glass platter mats?

Post by Big Al » 30 Nov 2015 19:25

Did any other PT owners read the review in this month's Hi-if Choice on the use of a glass platter mat? The reviewer used it on an acrylic platter and reported a positive (or just different?) effect. 4/5 stars! Can someone please restore my faith? I do use an Acromat on my LPT but that is from the house of Arthur and is therefore no sin! [-o<

willb

Re: Glass platter mats?

Post by willb » 01 Dec 2015 19:25

No - just picked up HFW today.

I expect the next 'great upgrade' will be to put a wool mat on the glass platter mat!

Stick with Arthur's ideas for Pt's and you won't generally go far wrong!

abril
long player
long player
Georgia

Post by abril » 01 Dec 2015 21:55

Just another latest is greatest con
Magazines keeping their advertisers happy.
Gave up on hifi r--s years ago. =D> =D> =D> =D>

Zebbo

Post by Zebbo » 01 Jan 2016 13:35

A suspended Pink would never take the extra weight.
Also, you wouldn't be able to use the puck if your deck has one.

PinkTrichard

Post by PinkTrichard » 02 Jan 2016 08:41

There was a lot of fuss about this on another forum for technics modifications. Like a wool mat or a rubber mat, it will be different. And some people like different. But the concept is back to front. Glass has good properties as a support but poor properties as a termination. (ie good platter , poor mat)
So Arthur currently uses a bonded glass structure he calls strata for the platter on vector and safire with achromat bonded to those. The rigidity and non-resonance of strata make it a good platter Base to put UNDER achromat.
As zebbo says, there are issues with the suspension trying to put this on a pt. It shifts the centre of balance and would require the suspension wedges to be made from aluminium.
We have discussed having a go as part of my project to upgrade my pt1,but abandoned it for now. In truth, I am only marginally convinced of the potential benefits on a pt, and it's a lot of work for possibly a very slight gain. It looks pretty on safire, and works well on the technics platter he makes. But the technics acrylic is thinner than a pt over a big surface , and rigidity is therefore more significantly improved with a bonded glass in that situation.
But glass for the platter - not the mat. And ideally strata. Straight glass still rings like a bell at the edges.