PT One power supply

light fantastic
bato

PT One power supply

Post by bato » 18 Oct 2015 19:22

This morning I finally made a cord to connect Channel Island Audio power supply to my Pink Triangle One. I tossed out the walwart.
I've read a nice linear power supply brings about unbelievable change. Of course, at first I didn't even consider that as a valid observation, exaggerating at best.
I had some problems with the speed, and even after changing the belt Cardas test record revealed rhythmic modulation.
Well, change is actually unbelievable.
Speed and stability is spot on and stable.
Noticeable drop in noise floor. Corus is quite good with the surface noise, and now quite a bit more of information is coming out of the groove, and its overall more clear.
Transients are more immediate, everything is tighter, faster.
All of that brings about more focused soundstage which was quite difused before, problem for which I considered to try moving coils again.
Honestly, I could not believe the change. PT One has its power supply, and my logic would not allow even remote possibility that linear 9v can bring about that much change over switching 9v.
Of course, Channel Island Audio is not just any linear power supply. I am not going to write anything about it here, plenty on the web about it.
If you do have any TT with DC motor, and you running it with any switching PSU, invest into a good linear power supply. Of course, price for CIA High Current Power Supply is same as for some entry level turntables, but then some cartridges are on the tables which are less than a quarter of the total price... Try everything, but get your priorities straight. However, I now do believe that right power supply in the right situation can make as much impact as a cartridge change!

tim_bissell
Great Britain

Re: PT One power supply

Post by tim_bissell » 30 Oct 2015 09:46

Can't argue with that! The sound (+stability) change from the original PT wall-wart to a Maplin £20 linear regulated power supply was not subtle. I'd be interested to hear the difference between the (now discontinued) Maplin supply and a more expensive one. I've got a proper bench supply, so I guess I should try that.

-- Tim

Finger Painter

Post by Finger Painter » 30 Oct 2015 10:37

change from the original PT wall-wart to a Maplin £20 linear regulated power supply was not subtle
I used the same Maplin PSU in my PT days. Otherwise it is amazing what differences a good PSU can make to the sound........except in the case of my Oracle. Their all singing, all dancing PSU was dreadful and just had to move it on.

The biggest change I recall was using a Heed Orbit 2 on an Ariston. Monster changes.

I keep popping in to the 'PT Section' as I am still after another!

Armbored
Great Britain

Post by Armbored » 11 Nov 2015 11:43

Just picked up a PT1, in very good original condition. I would like a Rega armboard, any spare ones going around I could purchase?

Mike

Armbored
Great Britain

Post by Armbored » 11 Nov 2015 12:49

Also, would this power the PT as everyone says the wall wart is a bit rubbish...?

http://www.itemaudio.co.uk/power-suppli ... upply.html

bato

Post by bato » 11 Nov 2015 17:04

If I didn't stumble on CIA, I would use the same type of converter, but 9v.
Some are saying 12v is OK; I didn't try it - don't know would the motor like it.
A "bit" is understatement. Honestly.

backtotheblack

Post by backtotheblack » 03 Dec 2015 21:23

regulated voltage is fairly easy to do

12vac output transformer of around 20-30va
LM7809
bridge rectifier
cppl capacitors
resistor and led if you like.

12v transformer gets sent to bridge rectifier which turns AC into DC you then add a bit of smoothing via a capacitor then onto the regulator LM7809 (for 9v) then onto another capacitor for more smoothing. output = 9vdc at around 1A

http://electronics.stackexchange.com/qu ... ltage-regu

if you have a look at the LM7809 spec sheet it has different circuits for better regulation but with more components.

after saying all of that you can purchase http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LM7809-Step-D ... Sw~OdVWMAw and then buy a 240-12v transformer and presto.

just make sure that you properly sink the LM7809 to a BIG heatsink or direct to the case as they get a bit hot.

cost including case, sockets etc.etc around £30 or more if you use a fancy case.

tim_bissell
Great Britain

Post by tim_bissell » 05 Jan 2016 22:44

Just for the record, I opened an original PT1 power supply with a cracked plastic case...

Four diodes and a 1000uF smoothing capacitor

-- Tim

PinkTrichard

Post by PinkTrichard » 06 Jan 2016 18:51

Ah Nostalgia's not what it used to be

I was looking at that power supply thinking "nothing like mine". But mine is a freak. Although I changed the turntable I kept the power supply. And mine was the original fix for the humming transformer inside the plinth - and Arthur literally went to Woolworths to buy a power pack. So mine is a brown device with selectable voltage and polarity. I had completely forgotten that wasnt a standard issue

BTW - I may well have a Rega armboard spare shortly.

Armbored
Great Britain

Post by Armbored » 07 Jan 2016 22:05

Interesting, is that pretty standard for a PS?

PinkTrichard

Post by PinkTrichard » 08 Jan 2016 15:48

That's pretty standard for a PS then. These days it would be SMPS.
I've just finished chatting to the boards designer, and we may have a play when we get together next. But there should be voltage regulation on the board (LM317) - so adding a regulated supply shouldn't make a difference. I suspect there were a few variations , and none of us can remember what happened when #-o

Adding a battery certainly does make a difference. I have a bag of bits on the filing cabinet for me to build a higher current regulated mains or battery supply. Just need a bit less work on the desk... :?

Armbored
Great Britain

Post by Armbored » 08 Jan 2016 15:58

One of the things I love about Pink Triangle as a company, the 'organic' nature and erm... shall we say 'constant improvement'? :-)

tim_bissell
Great Britain

Post by tim_bissell » 09 Jan 2016 13:41

I know you mean it (partly) tongue-in-cheek ... but I agree!

As Richard mentioned, that was a fairly standard approach for a basic PSU in those days; no PCB or anything fancy, but it did the job (just).

@ Richard - If your friend is able to produce a (limited) run of PCBs + parts or a parts list I would be interested in one or two...

Also, about your tease over the armboard - what's replacing your F•XR? must be something pretty special ;-)

-- Tim

PinkTrichard

Post by PinkTrichard » 09 Jan 2016 15:43

Tim

I'll have a word with Owen, he sometimes has spare boards in his loft. If there's demand I'm sure we could get some made. Schematics were never a strong-point of PT in that era sadly, but I'll ask.

I'm not planning on changing the FXR. I'm planning on changing the armboard. Arthur and I are working on a project to "pimp" my PT discreetly into an Anni, based on me waving Phil Kings "Modifications and Enhancements" under his nose, saying "I fancy doing this, what do you think"? To which his reply was colourful, and included the perfectly fair point I would probably seriously injure myself trying. So being the gent that he is, and owing me not a few, he agreed to hold my hand and lend me the facilities (ie do it for me)

Having said that, in talks (last week) on what is the reference statement record player we are aspiring to, AK47 came up - but I won't hold my breath. It's the same mount anyway :?

pcourtney

Post by pcourtney » 16 Jun 2016 18:55

Hi Richard,

hopefully there is demand for a well designed linear PSU, my PT1 serial no 80 really needs a better PSU than this old Woolworth's one :-)

just realised that was 36 years ago - how time flies !

all the best
Peter

NB are you now in France ?