Life before PT-help me understand

light fantastic
downforce

Life before PT-help me understand

Post by downforce » 16 Oct 2015 22:05

Hi all,I am hesitant about posting this, but here it goes:
Before my PT-1 purchse I was quite happy with my AR ES-1/RB-300.
It is a rather good combination; with lots of mid-bass, and foot-tapping ability.
Enter the PT-1 and suddenly, I cannot go back.It is rather disturbing to think I that I thought I had a perfectly good tt when all along I was just filtering out the distortions-Has anyone else experienced this?
Please fire away...

stijnkraft

Re: Life before PT-help me understand

Post by stijnkraft » 16 Oct 2015 22:30

If you had actual distortions, are you sure your previous player was set up right?
Cause even a plastic peace of crap can be adjusted to not distort.

downforce

Post by downforce » 16 Oct 2015 23:31

My mistake.
What I meant by distortions can be clarified by saying veils have been lifted
with the PT.
It is like wiping a dirty window clean, soundwise.

Finger Painter

Post by Finger Painter » 17 Oct 2015 00:03

I think it is simple to understand. PT's are possibly one of the most neutral turntables you could ever own. They don't add anything and they don't take away anything.

I had one for some years and the only thing I disliked was it was all rather 'brittle'. Not the sound but the deck itself. It is wonderfully engineered in its own way, but just lacked that sense of being robust.

Would I have another? Of course I would.

stijnkraft

Post by stijnkraft » 17 Oct 2015 11:12

downforce wrote:My mistake.
What I meant by distortions can be clarified by saying veils have been lifted
with the PT.
It is like wiping a dirty window clean, soundwise.
Ah, colorations :D.
Could very well be true :)

tim_bissell
Great Britain

Post by tim_bissell » 17 Oct 2015 12:07

I had the same thing with my first PT, and much more recently when listening to an F•XRII vs. Rega RB300 on a Saffire. Same cartridge, music and it was background noise vanishing, leaving the music in clearer relief. All down to Arthur's quest to reduce resonance and dissipate vibration...

-- Tim

Zebbo

Post by Zebbo » 17 Oct 2015 21:23

I'd been through quite a few TT's in my vinyl quest and was about to give up on it before I got my Export, then it all fell into place nicely, (apart from it costing me an arm and a leg to get my Anni). :lol:

downforce

Post by downforce » 18 Oct 2015 01:42

So, the fact is, the majority of turntable owners have and are currently living with turntables
That is in some ways far from the sonic truth is, well, disturbing. Enjoyable yes, but not the
Ideal...deep, mon.

Zebbo

Post by Zebbo » 18 Oct 2015 08:38

Sorry, that didn't make a huge amount of sense to me, am I missing something?

stijnkraft

Post by stijnkraft » 18 Oct 2015 14:24

Hifi is always myfi.
It's a matter of taste in most cases.
Look at the brands that are biggest, they are usually not the brands that get closest to the truth, even on this forum :D.

minio

Post by minio » 01 Nov 2015 19:21

I love my Pink Triangle Anniversary. It has a Helius Scorpio 3 and Audio Technica OC9 and used with Naim amps and JPW AP2 speakers.

Blows the streamer ootw!

johnlebeau

Post by johnlebeau » 08 Nov 2015 06:28

I know the feeling. Years ago I had a SOTA vacuum table with an ET2 tonearm. One day I discovered myself picking records for the sonics and not the music because the SOTA wasn't really satisfying. I sold the table and went on the great turntable search. I listened to a lot of very highly regarded tables but everything had the same detached aloofness of the SOTA.

Then I heard the Pink. It was an Anniversary with a Wilson Benish arm, I don't remember the cartridge. I did not want to stop listening. And afterwards I could not get that table out of my head. Needless to say, I now have an Anniversary and have never looked back. I have never heard a more satisfying table. I pair mine with a Linn EKOS tonearm, it's a better arm than people give it credit for, and it works very nicely with the PT. (As does the ITTOK for a lot less money.)

Now to really blow your mind, get yourself a Funk Firm (same guy that made the PT) Achromat. It takes a table you thought couldn't be improved and kicks it up to a whole new level. Cheapest upgrade you'll ever do.

JDB82

Post by JDB82 » 14 Jul 2016 02:36

The achromat will give that same veil lifting effect on non PT tt's, that is true. I had one for my sl1800mk2, but mine had a dip in it. I sent it back and FF told me thats just the way it is. Maybe the slimmer achromats do not have the same problem. I wont accept a mat, that when rotating on the platter, you can see a dip come around like you can see a warped record doing the same.
I had a very unpleasant experience with FF. They acted like me being upset about the problem, was out of line or over the top. I dont see how they can say that, maybe give potential buyers of 1200 achromats a heads up with the manufacturing before they buy.
I like their TT design philosophy, makes good sense imo.