New PT-1 to me seeking upgrade advise

light fantastic
P700DEE
England

Re: New PT-1 to me seeking upgrade advise

Post by P700DEE » 24 Dec 2015 16:54

While we are updating history and recommendations.
Bought PT1 circa 1984 with LVX
Upgraded to Rega RB300 when that was launched, quite an improvement.
Bought second hand Zeta after hearing a friends (also on a Pink). Big improvement and never replaced :)

abril
long player
long player
Georgia

Post by abril » 25 Dec 2015 08:56

Merry Xmas to all you PT enthusiasts.
Had my PT1 for a few years now and love it with the Mission 774 original, mounted the arm on a aramid armboard after using a homemade CF/balsa/aluminium board ,also used a simple ally board in the past ,positively dislike the MDF one.
Have also used a Nima on a homemade CF/balsa/aluminium board which I liked equally but that is now on my LPT because of it being a standard Rega fit.

avinunca1

Post by avinunca1 » 25 Dec 2015 18:02

Merry Christmas.
I love my Zeta. It made a hell of an improvement to bass response after my 774.
It's possibly a little restricting when it comes to cartridge choice. I couldn't for instance in theory use a Benz Micro because of compliance issues.
If anyone is considering a new beefier psu have a look at the board Andrew has produced over on the audio-talk forum. Andrew is an electronics engineer. He's sure to have some to spare at £3 to £4 each. http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/phpBB3/view ... 3&start=90

PinkTrichard

Post by PinkTrichard » 25 Dec 2015 22:13

avinunca1 wrote:Merry Christmas.
It's possibly a little restricting when it comes to cartridge choice. I couldn't for instance in theory use a Benz Micro because of compliance issues.
If anyone is considering a new beefier psu have a look at the board Andrew has produced over on the audio-talk forum. Andrew is an electronics engineer. He's sure to have some to spare at £3 to £4 each. http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/phpBB3/view ... 3&start=90
Looks interesting, but how beefy does a pt need? And why would it be better than the velleman?

avinunca1

Post by avinunca1 » 26 Dec 2015 00:42

PinkTrichard wrote:
avinunca1 wrote:Merry Christmas.
Looks interesting, but how beefy does a pt need? And why would it be better than the velleman?
It isn't necessarily better than the Velleman. As for a beefier supply - it may
help the motor pitch stability. I believe this is the experience of people who have tried this. My K-Drive certainly delivers though I don't know how much is down to the motor.

tim_bissell
Great Britain

Post by tim_bissell » 26 Dec 2015 12:30

The PT1 with Escap motor draws around 0.31A at 33 rpm, a little more at 45 (I will note down the figures when I get a chance to set up a test rig again). My original PT power supply was unregulated; it shows 18V with no load, and judging by the size, maybe 0.5-1A at 9V.

I think a 1 Amp at 9V power supply (such as the Velleman kit, or a built-up example of the audio-talk PCB) is perfectly adequate, more important for speed stability is Voltage regulation. If the PSU delivers a regulated 9V for varying current requirements from the speed controller, the speed control feedback mechanism will only have to deal with the one variable (the motor) it was designed to compensate for.

I am sure the K-Drive has voltage regulation in its PSU, as well as other optimisations.

-- Tim

abril
long player
long player
Georgia

Post by abril » 26 Dec 2015 14:03

My original PT power supply was unregulated; it shows 18V with no load,
So you got 18V with the original supply too :shock:

PinkTrichard

Post by PinkTrichard » 26 Dec 2015 14:43

Oops
Last edited by PinkTrichard on 26 Dec 2015 15:53, edited 1 time in total.

PinkTrichard

Post by PinkTrichard » 26 Dec 2015 14:47

My PT1 has the original "woolworths" wall-wart. I was responsible for this innovative modification. My VERY early PT1 had the internal transformer and induced hum in my ortofon cartridge. Arthurs solution was to get the transformer out of the box. It uses 9v centre positive

I have just tried my cheapest ever HiFi mod to rapturous enthusiasm from my test ears - Mrs S, who announced much wider soundstage and better imaging. Given that from where I was standing off-axis I could hear tighter bass, and better rythmn - this demands further investigation

http://i1315.photobucket.com/albums/t58 ... yejtmw.jpg

avinunca1

Post by avinunca1 » 26 Dec 2015 15:21

Wonderful thing the PP3. I fitted one per channel to bias the first valve in my
phono amp. May last a tad longer there mind.

backtotheblack

Post by backtotheblack » 26 Dec 2015 21:21

how much currant does the PT1 motor use/need?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultra-low-noise ... SwnH1WXhsX is a very clean supply up to 1A and is multi volt via solder bridges. will also require an 11vac transformer for 9vdc output http://sklep.toroidy.pl/en_US/p/TTSA003 ... to-50V/307

PinkTrichard

Post by PinkTrichard » 27 Dec 2015 14:14

Thanks
Looks an interesting option to try. And thanks (everyone) for not noticing the spelling howler

PinkTrichard

Post by PinkTrichard » 28 Dec 2015 08:19

A late thought. Has anyone else tried the humble PP3? If so , how does it compare with the linear power supply you use? I finally crawled under the hifi unit, prised off the shelves, and took another look at the "wall-wart" that shipped with my PT. Yes its Chinese - but it is almost certainly a regulated linear device rather than an SMPS. It's limitation would appear to be 300ma of current. A bit close to the wire. I might just buy rechargeable PP3's and a charger! Unless an LM317 and a bigger current reservoir create a similar effect.

abril
long player
long player
Georgia

Post by abril » 28 Dec 2015 11:09

How long is a PP3 capable of keeping the PT1 running for?
Was under the impression the motor draws about 300mA so that would give less that 2 hours on a typical battery.
By the time you have paid for a couple of rechargeables and the charger you can buy or build a perfectly adequate regulated linear supply.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/HQ-1-Power-Supp ... power+1823
You will need case and transformer to go with it

PinkTrichard

Post by PinkTrichard » 28 Dec 2015 12:16

abril wrote:How long is a PP3 capable of keeping the PT1 running for?
Was under the impression the motor draws about 300mA so that would give less that 2 hours on a typical battery.
By the time you have paid for a couple of rechargeables and the charger you can buy or build a perfectly adequate regulated linear supply.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/HQ-1-Power-Supp ... power+1823
You will need case and transformer to go with it
No I appreciate that. There's history here - and I am avoiding contacting either Owen or Arthur on this one for now. Anni and Pip 2 were both launched in battery versions (as was DaCapo in "DC" guise). There was some discussion as to how much this was a marketing point rather than a true performance one. But - a battery is not the same as a regulated rectified supply. And I compared a PP3 with my "wall wart" - which appears to be a regulated linear supply - albeit close to the wire at 300ma. So it is not automatically a given that if I build, buy, or get Owen to make me a posh regulated supply, the result will be comparable with the battery. Which of course, could lead to the "dark side" and a battery supply with a bit more than 2 hours life. Just wondered if there was any feedback from forum members, before making a nuisance of myself :)