New PT-1 to me seeking upgrade advise

light fantastic
downforce

New PT-1 to me seeking upgrade advise

Post by downforce » 04 Sep 2015 18:55

Greetings to All,
My current setup is a Pink Triangle PT1 with a Rega RB300 and Ortfon 2M Black.
I am seeking an increase in Low level information. In other words, the Bass,
while deep, is rather weak in the Mid and Lower regions compared to the highs.
I am using the Rega Tungsten counterweight.
Wondering about a different Cart-Grado Sonata, AT-33, DV20x or a
different tonearm (SME 309, Wilson Benesch Act.05, Rega RB 1000).
Thoughts would be appreciated!

basket weaver

Re: New PT-1 to me seeking upgrade advise

Post by basket weaver » 04 Sep 2015 23:26

I had this set up with a ronda red and a denon 103r. I rewired the rega arm, changed the counter weight and generally did everything I could to make it sound great (as I had heard years before when the PT1 was new on the sceen). eventually changed the arm to a gold syrinx pu2 and never looked back. absolutely brilliant by comparison. I would never go back to the rb300 on the PT1.dull dull dull.
Phil

downforce

Post by downforce » 05 Sep 2015 20:03

Thanks Phil, I appreciate your exuberance! Could you however, be more specific? Compared to the Syrinx, does the Rega lack:
Bass slam?
3-dimensionality?
Transparency?
Boogie ability/pacing?
Also, what cart are you using/recommend?
I ask, because right now I am playing Neil Young and he is in the room with Me..
Cheers,

Mario

basket weaver

Post by basket weaver » 06 Sep 2015 03:28

Mario
First 'in the room' OMG album was Joni Mitchell. Ladies of the canyon.

I had the Rega on the PT1 for about 5 years and the Syrinx has been on for the last 4. From memory the Rega had plenty of detail but was not as vibrant as the Syrinx. I can remember thinking soon after changing, that the Rega had been quite monochrome and had been masking the dynamics of the cartridge.

If your looking for a recommendation, I would keep the 2m black (I hear its a fantastic cartridge) and look at upgrading your arm as a next move.

I'm now using a Benz Micro Glider SL. It appears invisible. quite a trick.
Phil

stuartypoorty

Post by stuartypoorty » 06 Sep 2015 14:21

There's a Syrinx here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from= ... acat=14969

Just scroll down...

Johnny at Audio Origami can work wonders with these arms.

No affiliation to the seller.

Ben Randall

Post by Ben Randall » 06 Sep 2015 17:46

A Helius Orion has just been listed on EBay (not by me, there's no way I'm parting with mine), together with the PT arm board for it. Makes a superb pairing with the PT1 as many will testify. Perhaps the definitive combination.

The PT1 can handle much better arms than an RB300 and both the syrinx and the helius will easily outperform the Rega.

Recently I have added an Origin Live belt and a Swagman Lab 9v DC linear power supply to my PT1 with impressive results (and not that much money). Can happily recommend both. When time allows, I will post a bit more detail on the PSU, but early impressions are great.

It's a great deck and I'm pleased it's brought Neil Young into your living room. That's exactly why I refuse to play a Pogues LP on mine! :lol:

downforce

Post by downforce » 09 Sep 2015 22:28

Ok-the Syrinx PU3 seems to be the one to get-can't see me boring a hole in the plinth for the needed arm support on the PU2. Helius arms are rear on this side of the pond also.
This begs the question with no answer: How do these arms compare to an SME or a WB?

bato

Post by bato » 29 Oct 2015 14:16

While I have no experience with WB, SME might be too "clinical" in combo with PT1. YMMV, equipment depending, etc...
When I resurrected my PT1, I had Helius on it in dire need of repair as well. However, I had Nottingham Ace Space 9" at hand from previous project. Curious how the table will behave, I made armboard (which evolved later) and got blown away.
I know that "unipivot should not go on suspended table" but this one is simply awesome. Satanfriendly had same combination.
My latest armboard is made of maple, and I am getting ready to make another one out of nice piece of really dark and hard ebony.
What power supply are you using?

downforce

Post by downforce » 04 Nov 2015 19:54

Sorry Bato-just looked at my email. I am using the standard Walwart plug-in.
Curious about your armboard experiments. As ia have access to harwoods.

bato

Post by bato » 11 Nov 2015 22:13

Biggest surprise was power supply. I stumbled upon CIA 9v high current ps, price was right and I am now firm believer that good power source can make huge difference. I posted details in recent PT1 power supply post.
Since I couldn't use original metal armboard I started playing with different woods:
1 - void free plywood; nice, but just nice.
2 - common "white" maple, furniture grade; not good in highs, brings in a bit of sibilance.
3 - Koa; great highs, but enough loss in bass / bass-mid to piss me off.
4 - Bubinga; everything there, but too polite.
5 - rock maple, canadian, with large swirls similar to birds eye; really good, I am still using it.
I still have hickory, cherry and teak to go through. I missed a chance to get a nice peace of black ebony, will try to get it.
Also, it matters how much are bolts tight.

downforce

Post by downforce » 13 Nov 2015 21:57

Mucho choices there! Personally I've tried 3 different options when I had the AR.
Bolivian Rosewood and Bird's Eye Maple were good; worst sounding(and best looking!) was black acrylic.
Wondering though, about the Aerolam-Balsa available across the Pond.
Also, Symposium Acoustics can make an armboard version of their Svelte Shelf.
The price when I looked into it for the AR was $200. Pricey, but should be worth
the cost on something as revealing as the PT..

Steve Morris

Post by Steve Morris » 17 Nov 2015 21:23

+1 for the PT/Helius combination, I bought my PT new in the eighties with a Helius Orion arm and Audio Technica AT 32E MC Cartridge. This turntable still gives me enjoyment almost every day, I have had several cartridge changes an AT33E, DNM Aciore, AT33E again and am currently using an ATOC9 with another brand new AT33E waiting to be used. As you can see, I like my moving coil cartridges especially the Audio Technica's.
I just love the sound from my PT, to me I have never heard better.
I have experimented with power supplies including batteries but am currently using the original one which I recapped a couple of years ago.
I may just look at upgrading the power supply in the not too distant future.

abril
long player
long player
Georgia

Post by abril » 30 Nov 2015 20:19

[quoteI have experimented with power supplies including batteries but am currently using the original one which I recapped a couple of years ago.
I may just look at upgrading the power supply in the not too distant future.][/quote]

By a long way the cheapest upgrade for my PT1 was a simple LM317 regulated supply that can supply at least 750mA.

If you have the original supply try measuring the output voltage ,see what it is,my original outputted 18V no load!

PinkTrichard

Post by PinkTrichard » 21 Dec 2015 16:59

Oh lovely to see a thread I feel at home in and recognise
First time I heard a PT1 was with a PU2 auditioning Beyer electrostatic headphones. When at the factory I loved it with a PU3 - although I would agree that the Helius Orion (with Technics U205 cartridge) was my favourite. That said,I actually used it with a Mission 774 for 15 years, and that was superb too - maybe just a bit "dry" compared with the more lush Orion. OK - I've never ACTUALLY used a SME V or IV or 309 on the deck, but would expect them to work just fine - given how well they perform on Anni

If I were looking for a bargain 2nd hand arm to go with a 2nd hand deck (which obviously a PT1 is) then I would look for the Mission 774. If you are into "new prices" both the Funk F5 and FXR / FX3 work absolutely superbly

I had an F5 on for about 4 months, and have had an FXR on for about a year and both are an absolute match made in heaven. F5 will give more bass "slam" but the refinement on FXR is that "Pink Triangle thing" for me.

Frankly, this TT is in my opinion 2nd only to the Anniversary - and I am looking at doing some modifications with Arthur to get it "almost to Anni". But even "standard" it punched way above its weight, and the market prejudices of the time

Abandonflip
long player
long player

Post by Abandonflip » 24 Dec 2015 13:11

Been a while since I was last here - Season's Greetings to all on the forum!

It's great to see people still enthusing about the PT's in their various guises, and going through the experiences I did as an owner. A lot of the same conversations are going on now as when I first experienced a PT, and a lot of the component matches are as relevant now as they were then.

It's difficult to encapsulate my experience in a short thread (and the whole thing is very subjective anyway), but my tuppence on arms I've used:

SME III on PT - not a bad place to start, but moving coils need not apply
Alphason 100S on PT - soooo detailed, sooo smooth. A thing of beauty
Zeta on Too/Anni - owned this for years, weight and authority to die for
SME V on Too/Anni - dull, dull, dull so needs really careful cartridge matching
WB Act2.0 - more detail and subtlety than I'd ever heard, just needed more slam
Rega RB300 on Too - not mine, and pleased about that. The PT deserves better

Cartridge matching is important, and so is armboard material as other forum members have observed. I've tried aluminium, MDF, balsa/aluminium and aramid (all genuine PT offerings) and not all of the arms worked on all of the boards.

In this regard, PT ownership has to be the hobby that just keeps giving...!