PT Anniversary

light fantastic
rolleye

Re: PT Anniversary

Post by rolleye » 19 May 2013 13:15

Hi Simon, its custom built, I had an early kit version of the AudioMods arm and came across Bob Isherwood's (Inspire Audio) X-100 arm on his website, I rang him, explained what i needed and he duly obliged. On its return i re-fitted the new armtube to the AudioMods along with some better quality bearings in the armbase.

I'm using it at the moment on a PTToo with an Asak MC cartridge and Trichord Delphini phonostage and the combination sounds really good. :D

I've been meaning to have another chat with Bob about a 10" version (which will still fit the PTToo) to see how that works so must get back to him.

Ross

SimonLogan

Post by SimonLogan » 20 May 2013 18:15

Ahh yes, I remember this thread now:viewtopic.php?f=45&t=40050

Thanks,
Simon

horfield

Post by horfield » 02 Jul 2013 14:34

Hi Robin,
Can you remember how much Arthur charged for your anniversary upgrade and what did he do? There is something wrong with my motor mounts or the way the the motor is connected and I am looking to have it fixed. The problem is that the pulley leans toward the platter. I have had to put some rubber (cut off bit of pencil eraser), under the black disc thing that holds the motor to straighten it. I don't like doing this because it may add vibration to the aerolam subchassis. The rubber mounts themselves seem a bit flimsy. Is this the case on all anniversary desks? Is there any other anniversary owners out there who have had similar problems? I would like to have this fixed once and for all. If there are any Anni owners that could do this for me (please), i'd be happy to pay.
Neale (Bristol).

natty_dredd

Post by natty_dredd » 27 Jul 2013 16:54

I had that on my first Anni - the mounting furthest from the platter had come unstuck and was lifting. I think it was the cause of some major pitch wobble (but since took it apart to do up before selling about 2 years ago and not yet put it back together! Hoping the instability was solved). I'd guess that the belt size was slightly wrong or it was just time taking its toll on the glue.

Team GCR

Post by Team GCR » 28 Aug 2013 19:20

horfield wrote:Hi Robin,
Can you remember how much Arthur charged for your anniversary upgrade and what did he do? There is something wrong with my motor mounts or the way the the motor is connected and I am looking to have it fixed. The problem is that the pulley leans toward the platter. I have had to put some rubber (cut off bit of pencil eraser), under the black disc thing that holds the motor to straighten it. I don't like doing this because it may add vibration to the aerolam subchassis. The rubber mounts themselves seem a bit flimsy. Is this the case on all anniversary desks? Is there any other anniversary owners out there who have had similar problems? I would like to have this fixed once and for all. If there are any Anni owners that could do this for me (please), i'd be happy to pay.
Neale (Bristol).
Hi Neale,

Apologies for not replying sooner but only just noticed your post.

To be honest I can't remember the cost now or the exact details. To be honest the best thing would be to contact Arthur as I imagine he can fix your PT and upgrade it to whatever extent (he persuades you) or you choose.

Regards,

Robin

Hercules the Senegal

Post by Hercules the Senegal » 29 May 2014 23:25

I have an Anni with an SME V and Lyra Lydian.

It sounds remarkable. What benefits does an "upgrade" by Funk Firm bestow on it?

I would be horrified to spend money to get something back I wasn't happy with!

tim_bissell
Great Britain

Post by tim_bissell » 30 May 2014 13:03

Hercules the Senegal wrote:I have an Anni with an SME V and Lyra Lydian.

It sounds remarkable. What benefits does an "upgrade" by Funk Firm bestow on it?

The Funk Firm upgrade is quite expensive and extensive; it is a new DC motor and improved speed controller electronics (definitely better from my observations and others' comments) and a new sub chassis, losing the aerolam layer so it is just a carbon fibre sheet/end-grain balsa sandwich. The motor is mounted on the sub chassis, like the Anniversary, but now was the vector drive system, with two idler pulleys and the motor pulley arranged in a triangle around the 'sub platter' so that the platter is supported evenly rather than being pulled towards the motor pulley by the belt tension. There is also an Achromat and new carbon fibre top plate (to accommodate the holes for the idler pulleys) but if you can drill the glass I think you could keep the original top plate.

The upgrade costs the same whatever suspended PT is used; whilst not wasted on an Anniversary, it is better value if applied to a PT TOO, Export or original PT - plus the earlier PTs came in a variety of woods (teak, walnut, rosewood) rather than just black or natural ash.

The benefits are that it sounds better (IMHO, and no doubt Arthur's as well!)

-- Tim

Zebbo

Post by Zebbo » 30 May 2014 14:21

Hercules the Senegal wrote:I have an Anni with an SME V and Lyra Lydian.

Hercules, before you go spending a fortune on upgrades, have you heard your Anni with any other arm than the SME? I had an SME IV on mine for a while but found, as many others have, that it robbed the deck of it's life and vitality.

Hercules the Senegal

Post by Hercules the Senegal » 30 May 2014 18:25

Yes, I had a Linn Ittok on it for about 2 weeks (I was given it by someone who said it would be an improvement) and it sucked all the life and vitality out of the deck as well as colouring the sound dreadfully.

The SME V is by far the best arm I've heard - very neutral, very dynamic.

usherbeboy

Post by usherbeboy » 02 Jun 2014 17:04

Getting onto another subject - I read somewhere that unipivot arms worked best in PT decks ?

Rush 2112

Post by Rush 2112 » 13 Nov 2014 10:34

Hi everyone just joined today. I have an Anni SE with SME V and Koetsu Rosewood Signature, currently looking for a couple of spare belts, tried some from eBay but they were too small and contacts at various times with Funk hasn't yeided quick or productive responses. Can anyone help ? Regards, Mark

Rush 2112

Post by Rush 2112 » 13 Nov 2014 10:45

usherbeboy wrote:Getting onto another subject - I read somewhere that unipivot arms worked best in PT decks ?
Well I know Graham arms were used on PT and Naim Aro too but the established pairing was always SME/Rega etc

Rush 2112

Post by Rush 2112 » 13 Nov 2014 10:48

Hercules the Senegal wrote:Yes, I had a Linn Ittok on it for about 2 weeks (I was given it by someone who said it would be an improvement) and it sucked all the life and vitality out of the deck as well as colouring the sound dreadfully.

The SME V is by far the best arm I've heard - very neutral, very dynamic.
My view too I heard it with an Ittok and it was terrible, I use the SME V and have never felt the need for change !

tim_bissell
Great Britain

Post by tim_bissell » 13 Nov 2014 12:41

Rush 2112 wrote:Hi everyone just joined today after a recommendation via the art of spam forum. I have an Anni SE with SME V and Koetsu Rosewood Signature, currently looking for a couple of spare belts, tried some from eBay but they were too small and contacts at various times with Funk hasn't yeided quick or productive responses. Can anyone help ? Regards, Mark
Have you tried contacting Analogue Seduction; they stock Funk Firm belts and my be able to do better for you. If your current belt is OK, can you measure its length (lay it flat, measure, double) and maybe its thickness/height (original PT was 5mm x 1mm x 440-sh I think). If not, perhaps someone with an Anniversary can measure the belt length.

Anyway, with the belt dimensions you could order one of the internet.

It is worth still politely and patiently plugging away at Funk, as although Arthur is perpeptually busy, he does get round to things eventually. Perhaps we should organise a group buy of Anni belts on VE; there are enough owners here :D

(btw mine is still in storage, otherwise I would measure the belt)

-- Tim

Rush 2112

Post by Rush 2112 » 15 Nov 2014 19:40

Thanks Tim, I don't have any issue with Arthur, in fact I met him many years ago at Chantry Audio and found him very likeable and enthusiastic.