PT Anniversary

light fantastic
Team GCR

PT Anniversary

Post by Team GCR » 10 Apr 2013 19:29

Hello,

I just joined the forum today.

I have a Pink Triangle Anniversary that was rebuilt a couple of years ago by Arthur at the Funk Firm with various upgrades as he suggested.

It is currently fitted with a FX-R arm and a Lyra Titan i cartridge.

Kind regards,

Robin

backtotheblack

Re: PT Anniversary

Post by backtotheblack » 10 Apr 2013 21:35

lucky lucky man. bet it sounds fabulous :-)

tim_bissell
Great Britain

Post by tim_bissell » 10 Apr 2013 21:42

Welcome!

I often wonder what Arthur does with all the leftover bits; does he give them back to you, or is there a stash of lovely Escap DC servo motors and PT speed controllers at Funk HQ?!

-- Tim

backtotheblack

Post by backtotheblack » 10 Apr 2013 22:18

if he does keeps the bits (which i doubt as they belong to the customer) and you phoned and asked him he would say no i don't have any. even though he's looking at a box full.. but i can sell you this wonderful new upgrade.

Alex M

Post by Alex M » 10 Apr 2013 22:24

Arthur did explain before I sent my TOO off to him for Vectoring that he would keep all the old bits, including PSU and motor. Mind you, he did send my old bearing back to prove to me that it was buggered...

I would love to hear a Vectored Anni with an FX-R, by the way - I bet yours sounds great!

Alex

Team GCR

Post by Team GCR » 11 Apr 2013 14:11

tim_bissell wrote:Welcome!

I often wonder what Arthur does with all the leftover bits; does he give them back to you, or is there a stash of lovely Escap DC servo motors and PT speed controllers at Funk HQ?!

-- Tim
No I didn't get any leftover bits back but to be honest, what would I have done with them? They would probably just sat in a box or a drawer doing nothing....

Team GCR

Post by Team GCR » 11 Apr 2013 14:20

Alex M wrote:Arthur did explain before I sent my TOO off to him for Vectoring that he would keep all the old bits, including PSU and motor. Mind you, he did send my old bearing back to prove to me that it was buggered...

I would love to hear a Vectored Anni with an FX-R, by the way - I bet yours sounds great!

Alex
Yes likewise it was all explained and discussed before the turntable was sent off. To be honest the hardest decision was to take the step to swap the SME V for the FX-R.

Well if you are ever up in the Midlands PM me and come hear it.

Kind regards,

Robin

Zebbo

Post by Zebbo » 18 Apr 2013 22:33

Team GCR wrote:
Yes likewise it was all explained and discussed before the turntable was sent off. To be honest the hardest decision was to take the step to swap the SME V for the FX-R.
Robin
Well I bet you're glad you did now eh? :D
I had an SME IV on mine and it just didn't cut the mustard.

Alex M

Post by Alex M » 19 Apr 2013 11:57

Zebbo wrote:I had an SME IV on mine and it just didn't cut the mustard.
Interesting - I have a IV on my Vectored TOO and it sounds mighty fine. Mind you, I haven't heard the FX-R (and in some ways I don't want to, since I can't afford one!).

What was it you didn't like about yours with the SME on it?

Alex

Zebbo

Post by Zebbo » 19 Apr 2013 13:16

Hi Alex
It was difficult to pin down why. I tried it with a couple of cartridges but the end result was always the same, it was just doing it's job take it or leave it. If you concentrated on any particular part of the music it was difficult to find fault but it just didn't have the "tingle factor". The Audiomods 5 that replaced it has it in spades and made the IV sound ordinary. It's obviously a synergy thing. I was gutted as it's a beautiful thing and I'd always lusted after one but it wasn't to be, not on the Anni at least. I don't know how Robin has gotten away with the FX.R as when I tried one on my Anni I couldn't shut the lid as it fouled the weight! I never got the chance to hear what the FX.R could do musically as the one supplied to me had obviously been assembled wrong and the, non-adjustable, azimuth was way out. I wasn't over-enammered about paying £1100 for an RB300 with a new arm wand glued in to it anyway and that just finished it off for me. :|

Team GCR

Post by Team GCR » 26 Apr 2013 11:37

Alex M wrote:
Zebbo wrote:I had an SME IV on mine and it just didn't cut the mustard.
Interesting - I have a IV on my Vectored TOO and it sounds mighty fine. Mind you, I haven't heard the FX-R (and in some ways I don't want to, since I can't afford one!).

What was it you didn't like about yours with the SME on it?

Alex
Hi Alex,

There was nothing wrong with the SME at all it sounded great but Arthur convinced me to try the FX-R offering to take it back and re-fit the SME if I was not happy with the results when I got it back. In fact I still have the SME, it is sat in it's box on top of my tumble dryer in the garage!

Team GCR

Post by Team GCR » 26 Apr 2013 11:44

Zebbo wrote:I don't know how Robin has gotten away with the FX.R as when I tried one on my Anni I couldn't shut the lid as it fouled the weight! I never got the chance to hear what the FX.R could do musically as the one supplied to me had obviously been assembled wrong and the, non-adjustable, azimuth was way out. I wasn't over-enammered about paying £1100 for an RB300 with a new arm wand glued in to it anyway and that just finished it off for me. :|
Hi,

Yes the FX-R does foul the lid but I've never regarded that as a major issue. I guess maybe it helped in my case that the whole thing was fitted and set up by Arthur so it was good to go out of the box when I got it back.

I would also be the first to admit that it is entirely possible that the PTA might sound better with the SME V but not that easy to do a back to back comparison and so much changed at the same time what with the upgrades and changing the Kiseke cartridge for the Lyra that how much of the improvement was down to the FX-R is impossible to say. I guess the important thing is it sounds wonderful and that is really all that counts.

Just need to get my speakers sorted now as at the moment I am not able to listen to music!

backtotheblack

Post by backtotheblack » 26 Apr 2013 13:14

now if Arthur and Jeff got together i'm sure they would come up with something interesting AudioFunk-X.VI

Team GCR, your a lucky man having an SME-V just sitting in it's box doing nowt. i used to dream of owning one of those on a PTTOO or Anni. my dream is half fulfilled as i'm waiting on the postie :-)

rolleye

Post by rolleye » 26 Apr 2013 15:55

how about an Inspired-AudioMods arm

been using this for over a year now and sonically it's really very good, its based on an AudioMods arm but using an Inspire X100 armtube all wired with Cardas. Works great on a PT :D

It would be interesting to try out an FXR-II armtube though, maybe a 12" one.....Arthur(cough, cough)

SimonLogan

Post by SimonLogan » 17 May 2013 21:50

rolleye wrote:.. its based on an AudioMods arm but using an Inspire X100 armtube all wired with Cardas. ..
That looks interesting Rolleye; what's the history behind that? Is it readily available or some custom build?

Thanks,
Simon