Armboards

light fantastic
Notraddad
Scotland

Armboards

Post by Notraddad » 09 Nov 2019 20:11

I have a heavy armboard with 3 holes. When I try to mount an RB 300 arm it leans too far over so the platter is only about 2mm from the top plate on the right side. I have considered reducing the circular piece underneath that is weighted. Does anyone know if it is full of lead shot that would roll out if I were to drill into it? It also seems impossible to get the substantial arm cable to go through the appropriate slot. In particular as the cable exits below the honeycomb chassis. Also, the hole in the board is offset to one corner...Is that to accommodate a 12" arm?

wine man
Great Britain

Re: Armboards

Post by wine man » 11 Nov 2019 19:02

A Rega arm requires just one hole in the board for the central pillar & cable. Each PT board is machined and weighted specifically for both the fixing and geometry of each arm. It sounds as if you are trying to mount the RB300 into a non - Rega board (it definitely shouldn't have 3 holes). Where did the armboard come from?

Cloudbase

Re: Armboards

Post by Cloudbase » 11 Nov 2019 20:22

I think the Rega 3 point thingy is used as a spacer so it can be used on the TT but usually just bolt the arm direct to the armboard.

If your TT is an Anniversary where the platter floats on the same springs as the armboard then adjust the "sleds" to balance the weight of the arm/platter including the cartridge as well.
I havnt owned anything other than a LPT (no springs) or an Anniversary so cant comment on other models but arnt the platters unsprung on those turntables?

As for the weights on the armboard, they can be removed. More info on what equipment you have would help.