Anniversary issue

light fantastic
stuartypoorty

Anniversary issue

Post by stuartypoorty » 25 Sep 2019 20:02

I just switched on my Anniversary to test a strobe disc and the platter is no longer revolving.

I know these things happen and the deck was functioning perfectly a couple of days ago.

The power supply lights up green and red as usual, looking inside the top plate grille I can see the operating light.
Only thing I did was move one of the pots to adjust the speed and then the issue arose.

Any suggestions?

cgm18

Re: Anniversary issue

Post by cgm18 » 26 Sep 2019 04:04

Maybe return the pot to its original position first?

Does the platter rotate at either speed with the aid of a gentle push? or removing the platter platter does the motor rotate either speed under no load condition?

With lights on for the PSU it appears that power is getting to the PSU. It could possibly be connections, switch off & unplug everything, make sure connectors are clean & re-instate, maybe it will come back.

If still not playing then I would say either motor or power supply, could measure the voltage's supplied to the motor at either speed, if no voltage present then it's inside the PSU controller, fuse, capacitors blown or domed on top.

stuartypoorty

Post by stuartypoorty » 26 Sep 2019 08:16

Hello cgm18,

Thanks for those suggestions, I’ll work through them and see if I can locate the problem.

My thinking leans towards the power supply as the acrylic speed switch selector (which is usually wholly green or red in operation) now shows two spots of colour when rotated. Still the correct colours but the switch isn’t completely bathed in red for 45rpm or green for 33.

The other options are Andrew at Brady’s in Warrington or True Point in the Wirral: although this would mean sending the unit - if it is that - for repair.

Cloudbase

Post by Cloudbase » 26 Sep 2019 18:11

Hello stuartypoorty

Not sure if this helps much but I took some readings from my Anniversary psu board when I first got it just in case they ever came in handy to know later.

Psu output values (33) Red-Blue = 1.07 vdc (45) 1.38vdc
Blue-Yellow both speeds = 1.5vdc
Transformer is RS 196.505 30va sec o/p = 15 volts

Drive type 11 revision 1.2

.... Alan

stuartypoorty

Post by stuartypoorty » 26 Sep 2019 18:59

Hello Cloudbase,

Thanks for the information which may prove helpful to any technician who works on the deck.

Spent time today speaking with Andrew Davies at Doug Brady’s which used to be fairly convenient when I stayed in Lancashire. As ever he was patient, insightful and pointed me in the direction of some troubleshooting. As I’m considerably further north now and reliant on public transport popping over to Warrington isn’t so convenient. A courier would just be too risky.
It may be the Power Supply or the Anniversary motor, difficult for me to determine.

All said, I have emailed True Point to enquire about spares and interestingly their reference 3 speed control unit which is an apparent drop in replacement. The images on the True Point website look encouraging.
Worst case scenario: I opt for the True Point control unit only to find that it is the Premotec motor that has malfunctioned (however, they supposedly have a very good operational lifespan)

The truly bizarre thing is that last night a neighbour popped around with a package for me.
My friend, Rainer Horstmann who develops the Dereneville turntables and tonearms in Germany, sent me a strobe and associated disc for the Anniversary - failing eyesight means that I can no longer read the old Goldring strobe disc - which was absolutely perfect at 33rpm, when I switched to 45rpm and moved one of the speed pots this is when the problem arose.

Never a dull moment, no won’t be spinning that for a while either.

Cloudbase

Post by Cloudbase » 26 Sep 2019 19:06

Have you tried giving the speed pots a quick squirt with something like Deoxit or some other contact cleaner, cant really do any harm and it might just be the pot(s) that have gone a bit iffy contact wise.

Another thing you can try is to power the motor direct with a 1.5 volt battery preferably with the platter belt off (id drop the o/g motor supply wires off first though) If the motors good it should just spin up.

stuartypoorty

Post by stuartypoorty » 27 Sep 2019 06:26

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the tips.

stuartypoorty

Post by stuartypoorty » 15 Nov 2019 16:37

“ A couple of power resistors that were sitting very close to the PCB and over time they cooked the PCB tracks” so says my technician.

Fortunately, a combination of available True Point Audio components and a bit of tlc by way of Loud & Clear in Edinburgh will hopefully remedy matters and the Anniversary will be rewarding me with many more years service.

This personal delivery approach means that I didn’t have any transport concerns.

Considering too, replacing the deck phono out socketry with some WBT gear (has anyone attempted this...?) as the stock plugs are lightweight.

Also, I have learned via Charles Melling at True Point that there are many interesting developments for Pink Triangle owners who wish to preserve or enhance their decks. Well worth a look at the TP website or getting in touch directly.

Can’t wait to spin some vinyl again.

Cloudbase

Post by Cloudbase » 17 Nov 2019 15:58

Hey

That's good news, enjoy spinning them records =D>

.. Alan