PT1 resurrection

light fantastic
rosea
England

PT1 resurrection

Post by rosea » 31 Mar 2019 13:01

I'm in the fortunate position of soon being able to have a room where I can set up a music system based around a Pink Triangle PT1.

I would classify myself as a lapsed Hi Fi enthusiast, I had a Saturday job and then spent a summer working at Laskey's (yes I'm that old) and built up a reasonable system over the years however over the last 25 years or so I've hardly listened to 'music'. The system I ended up with was PT-1, Linn Ittok LVII, Ortofon MC20, Audiolab 8000a (original model with DIN sockets) and Heybrook HB2 speakers. I'm intending to recommission every thing except the speakers which are no more.

I bought the PT1 (s/n PT 4553) in 1984 for £449 (plus £205 for the Ittok and £125 for the cartridge), paid extra for a rosewood plinth but had a clear lid. I had the bearing replaced sometime ago by Pink Triangle, in south London.

My plan is;
  • Establish a baseline using the turnable as is, with a Musical-Fidelity X-LP phonoe pre-amp
  • External low-noise regulated PSU (eBay)
  • Get the turntable overhauled at True-Point (I did speak to them a few years ago but never followed through on it).
  • External AC PSU for the X-LP.
http://www.jumare.co.uk/images/pink_triangle.jpg

Although not strictly relevant to this sub-board I also want to include digital, initially using an old Rotel RCD-820BX as a transport with a Musical-Fidelity X-Dac. I'd love to get an Audiolab CD/CDT or a Musical -Fidelity X-Ray. I'll probably build a DAC so I can connect (USB) to a PC for streaming.

I also need to sort out speakers, I have seen that Wilmslow Audio do a HB2 inspired kit.

I'm not adverse to a bit of DIY improvements, but not sure where to post a thread on the system as a whole.

medwaybeat

Re: PT1 resurrection

Post by medwaybeat » 03 Apr 2019 13:32

What a great set up.
I'd guess amp, phono and stuff here viewforum.php?f=85
Would be interested to know how you got on with your X-LP PSU upgraded as I have one.

rosea
England

Post by rosea » 03 Apr 2019 15:08

For the X-LP psu I was thinking of buying something like this;
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Upgrade-Audi ... %7Ciid%3A1

I'd ike the Mobile Fidelity X-PSU but they don't come up very often and are expensive.

jy3

Post by jy3 » 04 Apr 2019 16:42

A very nice look PT 1 rosea. I think the Swagman LPS look ideal.

nimmen
Barbados

Post by nimmen » 17 Oct 2019 09:01

Your plan sounds good to me.
I acquired pt1 recently and will do some upgrades:
Change belt.
Change wall wart to proper psu, might be using SL012000TB as it is easy DIY, also specs look pretty good, but still need to check other options.
Change tonearm to origin live modified rb 250 with audio note silver wiring.
Change RCA cables to audio note an-v.
And obviously some slight adjustments, like suspension, etc, bearing and motor on my unit sound/feel great, no noise or issues.
I will be using dynavector mc cart for a while, it came with the unit(and does sound better than expected), will save some cash for iq-3 later.
Maybe those upgrades sound a bit overkill for such deck, but we will see...