PT1 resurrection

light fantastic
rosea
England

PT1 resurrection

Post by rosea » 31 Mar 2019 13:01

I'm in the fortunate position of soon being able to have a room where I can set up a music system based around a Pink Triangle PT1.

I would classify myself as a lapsed Hi Fi enthusiast, I had a Saturday job and then spent a summer working at Laskey's (yes I'm that old) and built up a reasonable system over the years however over the last 25 years or so I've hardly listened to 'music'. The system I ended up with was PT-1, Linn Ittok LVII, Ortofon MC20, Audiolab 8000a (original model with DIN sockets) and Heybrook HB2 speakers. I'm intending to recommission every thing except the speakers which are no more.

I bought the PT1 (s/n PT 4553) in 1984 for £449 (plus £205 for the Ittok and £125 for the cartridge), paid extra for a rosewood plinth but had a clear lid. I had the bearing replaced sometime ago by Pink Triangle, in south London.

My plan is;
  • Establish a baseline using the turnable as is, with a Musical-Fidelity X-LP phonoe pre-amp
  • External low-noise regulated PSU (eBay)
  • Get the turntable overhauled at True-Point (I did speak to them a few years ago but never followed through on it).
  • External AC PSU for the X-LP.
http://www.jumare.co.uk/images/pink_triangle.jpg

Although not strictly relevant to this sub-board I also want to include digital, initially using an old Rotel RCD-820BX as a transport with a Musical-Fidelity X-Dac. I'd love to get an Audiolab CD/CDT or a Musical -Fidelity X-Ray. I'll probably build a DAC so I can connect (USB) to a PC for streaming.

I also need to sort out speakers, I have seen that Wilmslow Audio do a HB2 inspired kit.

I'm not adverse to a bit of DIY improvements, but not sure where to post a thread on the system as a whole.

medwaybeat

Re: PT1 resurrection

Post by medwaybeat » 03 Apr 2019 13:32

What a great set up.
I'd guess amp, phono and stuff here viewforum.php?f=85
Would be interested to know how you got on with your X-LP PSU upgraded as I have one.

rosea
England

Post by rosea » 03 Apr 2019 15:08

For the X-LP psu I was thinking of buying something like this;
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Upgrade-Audi ... %7Ciid%3A1

I'd ike the Mobile Fidelity X-PSU but they don't come up very often and are expensive.

jy3

Post by jy3 » 04 Apr 2019 16:42

A very nice look PT 1 rosea. I think the Swagman LPS look ideal.