the home of the turntable

Pink Triangle PT Too - Modifications and enhancements

light fantastic

Re: Mark Kelly and his PCBs

Postby kitemap » 29 Apr 2008 12:32

his047 wrote:Hi Mark,
I have just bought a second hand PT Too, which may or may not have problems with the power supply. (eBay 150238910471). Regardless of this possible problem I was also intrigued by your modified power supply.
I wonder if I could get some the necessary bits and bobs from you for the modifications?
all the best

Ah, so it was you who outbid me. Never mind it was only because I wanted another second PT so wasn't going to go very high.
The seller said he would remove the listing if he could not get the power supply to work, so I would assume he sorted it.

I think that's a Helius Aurum arm you have there, same as me. It works beautifully with a Denon DL103 so I advise you try it one out.

Pictures of mine in the Gallery under 'Davids Pink Triangle No1'
:o)
kitemap

Postby his047 » 29 Apr 2008 21:22

Dear David,

yessir, I cannot tell a lie. It was I who did it.

But, no, the Power supply is not currently working. The seller contacted me and offered to pay reasonable expenses for the repair of the PS and as I have some background (though not a lot) in electronics I thought I would take a look at it myself and at least have an estimate made of for the cost of repair.

I thought the price was too good to be true and I have wanted one since 1989. Back then I opted for a SOTA Star Sapphire (Yes, another inverted Jewel bearing) but have continued to carry a torch for the Pink. I have now got another room where i can put another stereo based around a Naim system...The cartridge will be an Ortofon Jubilee and I may use a Mørch DP 6 on it instead of the Helius (though I shall spend a good time making up my mind).

Now I will just have to see what I can do to that pesky power supply. I presume that the TT will run off 12 V DC, but if it does not I have a White Noise PS (previously used to drive my Garrard 401: watch Ebay in the next few weeks) that can be used with a Linn motor (a heinous crime, I know)

Any information that you have about the TT would be much appreciated here in the Ultima Thule (Aberdeen) north of the kingdom of the evil King Ivor and his minions.

kitemap wrote: Ah, so it was you who outbid me. Never mind it was only because I wanted another second PT so wasn't going to go very high.
The seller said he would remove the listing if he could not get the power supply to work, so I would assume he sorted it.

I think that's a Helius Aurum arm you have there, same as me. It works beautifully with a Denon DL103 so I advise you try it one out.

Pictures of mine in the Gallery under 'Davids Pink Triangle No1'
:o)

his047 wrote:Hi Mark,
I have just bought a second hand PT Too, which may or may not have problems with the power supply. (eBay 150238910471). Regardless of this possible problem I was also intrigued by your modified power supply.
I wonder if I could get some the necessary bits and bobs from you for the modifications?
all the best
his047

Postby kitemap » 30 Apr 2008 09:54

I'm no expert on the PT Too as I've only had original PTs, but I do know that the PT Too's motor is AC so will not run off 12V DC.
The PT1 is 9V DC.
There are others on here that have PT Toos that will be able to Help. There is a wealth of knowledge on this forum, especially the PT sub forum.

Hope you get it up and running soon, you will never be without a PT once you've had one.

Regards

David
kitemap

Postby Abandonflip » 01 May 2008 18:41

his047 wrote:Any information that you have about the TT would be much appreciated here in the Ultima Thule (Aberdeen) north of the kingdom of the evil King Ivor and his minions.

There is much information to be had in Aberdeen... :wink:
Abandonflip
long player
long player

Postby quickie » 21 Feb 2009 21:02

Nice write up.

A couple of other mods are to put some damping material on the tear drop edge of the subchassis.

The other is to remove the bearing cap from the bottom of the motor.Any noise should pass after its run for a while.If not you will have to fit a new one.

Paul.
quickie

Re: Pink Triangle PT Too - Modifications and enhancements

Postby his047 » 30 Nov 2011 00:37

Hm, I bought the kit from Mark, but I have not had time to put it together. And now, disaster! I have lost the assembly instructions. Are there any of you out there that have a copy?
his047

Postby SimonLogan » 16 Jan 2012 23:36

Hello everyone,
I recently did some tests on adjusting the voltage of the AC motor drive phases independently and achieved a significant improvement in sound quality. I made some recordings for anyone who wants to hear what kind of difference is achieveable for a fairly strightforward modification. Please see http://diyaudiotest.wordpress.com/2012/01/14/optimising-the-pt-too-power-supply-to-reduce-ac-motor-vibration/

It would be very interesting to hear Mark's upgraded drive circuit. Did anyone on here build one in the end?

Simon
SimonLogan

Postby SimonLogan » 26 Feb 2012 21:35

tim_bissell wrote:I can make hi-res needle-drops of musical excerpts recorded on a PT1, Anni, mini-anni and PT1 Vector (all with the same arm/cart combo), but it all comes back to time again, so no guarantees at the moment!

Tim sent me some recordings. Please see this thread for the results of my listening test. https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=44427

SimonLogan wrote:I suppose the main thing is vibration, but to me if it's generating acoustic output then it's probably not running as smoothly as it could. I've been doing a sequence of experiments on motor vibration, and I hear a clear link between reduced vibration and improved sound quality (post to follow).

A couple of tests I did recently in this area.

Simon
SimonLogan

Previous

Return to Pink Triangle / Funk Firm