PT Export repair

light fantastic
Danielo91

PT Export repair

Post by Danielo91 » 20 Aug 2018 20:50

My Export has started to spin in the wrong direction!
I need advice on which repair option to take.
1. Funk Firm power supply and motor upgrade ( the vx cheapest option)
2. True point audio tr-drive.
3. Any othe ideas to get it spinning again.

Thank you.

willb

Re: PT Export repair

Post by willb » 21 Aug 2018 14:22

It sounds as though you've got a capacitor issue (not surprising after 25years!).
I assume it is the standard board not the GTi as these are split-phase (2 amplifiers), so do not use a phase-shift capacitor.

Generally it is a large orange Philips polyester 0.68uf, which was the wrong value for the types of motor they were fitting in the 90's :( Replace it with 250V OR 400V rated 0.39uf or at least 0.33uf polyester or polypropylene cap - (an X2 type would be fine).

E.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2pcs-0-39uF- ... Swt4xaZ66G
or https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAP-FILM-PP- ... SwCQZZJIpF

As it fits across the motor terminals, you could always carefully cut off the old one and screw the replacement across the red/blue wires in the termonal block if you are unable to re-solder it. This would easily be the cheapest option!

It would though, after all this time, be good to give the board a full re-cap (and fit a mains switch in the lead at the same time). This makes for virtual trouble free future use as it is switched 'off' most of the time rather than 'on' so it doesn't overheat and dry out the capacitors :) . Try and post a pic if possible so I can confirm what you have.

I've used an export psu (bought virtually unused on e**y in about 2005) which still has original caps fitted as it is wired through the mains switch on my Systemdek. Only replaced the film cap and upgraded the power resistors and rectifier to lower noise types ('cos I do stuff like that occasionally :P ) - but the rest is all original.

ATB

Danielo91

Post by Danielo91 » 21 Aug 2018 15:00

Thank you willb.
I hadn't thought about a DIY job because last time I tried to solder my speaker cable a gave my self third degree burns and if my wife sees me fiddling with the turntable again we are having a divorce.

Having said that, I am tempted. I think it's the GTI board as it was a replacement for the original board which failed. I will post a pic if I decide to take this route.

I have spoken to both Arthur at Funk and Charles Melling at True Point.
They both recommend an upgrade to DC motor. I am totally confused.

Option 1) True Point will fit Origin Live DC motor £315
Option 2) True Point will fit their own DC motor £300
Option 3) True Point will fit a better DC ( four wire ) for £700
Option 4) Arthur at Funk firm will fit VX Dc motor for £480

There may be an option for a K drive motor from Arthur but I haven't confirmed.

Funk firm is just down the road from me where as True Point would require postage and all the potential problems there.

Do you know anything about these motor kits? Is the VX worth £180 more than the Tpoint or OL.

Thank you in anticipation

willb

Post by willb » 21 Aug 2018 18:50

Fairplay on the soldering - we have to consider long-suffering partners occasionally!

DC motors can be much better - Funk's VX has been improved a couple of times and OL ones are popular, but as Funk are near you this would seem to be the best option.

If it is the GTi board I'm slightly confused as to why it's having phase issues - possibly failing electrolytics in the amplifiers. (one channel not working the same as the other) :( .

I've sorted one out for a friend a while back and tested it in the Systemdek. It did sound slightly more 'solid' than the standard psu much as you'd expect.

I'll await the pix with interest.

Cheers.

Danielo91

Post by Danielo91 » 21 Aug 2018 20:38

Thanks Willb for your sage advice. I will let you know how I get on over the next couple of weeks and post photos.
Cheers

backtotheblack

Post by backtotheblack » 22 Aug 2018 22:13

another option is to replace with Rega 24v upgrade kit. you remove the existing motor and electronics and replace with with the rega kit and swap over the pulley from the old motor to the new.

if you require better performance and 45rpm then you can always upgrade to the rega nuo power supply which has speed accuracy control built in.

Danielo91

Post by Danielo91 » 22 Aug 2018 23:48

Thank you for this information. Looks like good value. Would this be a better unit than the Origin Live kit? Is it a difficult DIY job?

Danielo91

Post by Danielo91 » 02 Mar 2019 22:10

Ok. Just thought I’d update.
Sent my Export to Charles Melling at True Point and had an OL DC motor fitted.
Spinning again and sounding better than ever!
Asked him to make me a pink triangle badge. Not original I know, but there was one on the PT 1 in the demo room when I bought my first Pink in the 80’s and I thought it looked great.
Attachments
31890F11-BE64-4027-BB57-63EC80E4C515.jpeg
(269.54 KiB) Downloaded 96 times
EA6E33A6-3C24-44F0-BDFA-BE80DAB341C3.jpeg
(271.54 KiB) Downloaded 91 times

Dr Groove

Post by Dr Groove » 09 Mar 2019 20:30

I also have the LPT-gti
Same issues. Mine would sometimes slow down and start up in reverse. I went through replacing the caps on the board
But ultimately the motor itself was at least
The core of the problem. I also ended up with the OL motor and power supply and I am very happy as she sounds much better than before. Not just the speed, it really increased my dynamic range in my opinion.
I am a DC proponent now! Best of luck and it is so worth keeping and fixing.

Danielo91

Post by Danielo91 » 09 Mar 2019 20:32

Totally agree . Thank you.