I have strayed...

light fantastic
tim_bissell
Great Britain

I have strayed...

Post by tim_bissell » 12 Jun 2018 00:28

A friend gave me an attic find turntable -- a Thorens TD-160B with an SME Series II arm and B&O MMC-1 Moving Iron cartridge. Finally, after a year, I have finished the restoration - polished scratches out of the lid, stripped off the yucky scratched aluminium finish and refinished the plinth with a real oak veneer. The arm and cartridge were fine, so I replaced the bearing oil, tidied up the armboard mounting, tuned the suspension and fitted a new belt.

The cartridge has a fine-line stylus, quite pricey for its day, and the whole package looks quite attractive. I have been playing it for a couple of weeks, and it has a very seductive smoothness; now I understand what people mean by the 'vinyl' sound.

Today I finished setting up a PT1, I needed to test out the Funk FX-3, and a new/old Goldring body I picked up, with my 1042 stylus. All sorted, so I started playing some of the same tracks I had been listening to on the Thorens .....WOW! That sounds... different! So much clarity, detail and precision. I just want to listen on and on and on. Sadly work beckons, so time to sleep.

Thanks Arthur, and thanks also to Goldring for a gem of a cartridge.

-- Tim

Cloudbase

Re: I have strayed...

Post by Cloudbase » 13 Jun 2018 12:50

Hi Tim

Interesting difference there, are you saying you are more inclined to the Pink sound?

Coming from REGA and GYRODEC tables ive never owned a Thorens.

Cheers ... Alan

tim_bissell
Great Britain

Post by tim_bissell » 13 Jun 2018 20:12

Yes, definitely - I am tempted to lapse into journalistic clichés, and say I like the having the 'veil lifted' from the music, and I can't have too much 'inky blackness' around the notes!

Before the PT was a long time ago, but in addition to the Thorens I have tried various Funk turntables, a PT Tarantella and also several AC powered PTs, and really like them all. The other turntables I have tried, not so much - Technics SL150 (mk.1, not quartz controlled) Micro Seiki DD1, AR Legend... admittedly all much cheaper, but they all lack the clarity and wide soundstage of the PT and Funk turntables.

I would like to try a decent modern deck, but the cost would probably be too much for me to swallow. I guess I should be happy I like what I have!

jy3

Post by jy3 » 14 Jun 2018 13:01

Pleased you're still enjoying PT tt's Tim. Just out of curiosity did you try a FF Acromat on the Thorens, it certainly improved my previous LP12.

tim_bissell
Great Britain

Post by tim_bissell » 16 Jun 2018 10:38

jy3 wrote:Pleased you're still enjoying PT tt's Tim. Just out of curiosity did you try a FF Acromat on the Thorens, it certainly improved my previous LP12.
Good idea; not yet but I will - the Series III is VTA adjustable so I will definitely try one..

-- Tim