Newbie getting PT Too

light fantastic
unixphone

Newbie getting PT Too

Post by unixphone » 25 Dec 2017 00:45

Metry Christmas guys,

I bought an old dual 1019 and completed my first turntable setup a month ago.
It is pretty fun to learn a turntable items like styli and cartiages.

I just bought myself a Christmas on ebay ($800)
https://m.ebay.com/itm/Pink-Triangle-PT ... cvip-panel

Since this turntable is much more expensive than the dual, anything i should be aware of?

basket weaver

Re: Newbie getting PT Too

Post by basket weaver » 25 Dec 2017 02:34

Congratulations. great deck. loads of info in the PT forum.
Be careful with bearing. Try to remove or fit the platter separately to the bearing. Thumb pressing down on the brass centre pin as you lift the platter. if you try to lift the platter together with the centre bearing, the suction/vacuum of the bearing can suck it back down and shatter the bearing.
The advert mentions spiked feet, Not sure why you would want to mechanically connect the deck to the supporting surface. probably best to stick with the supplied rubber feet (if they're still in place).
Because these decks have such soft suspension, The deck will do its job better if you use a light/flexible arm cable. If you use a heavy or stiff arm cable, you're connecting the arm and sub chassis to the outer frame. Which slightly defeats the reason for having a suspended turntable. Looping the cable inside the deck can Help.
Levelling the deck can also be interesting. Again the soft suspension has an effect. heavy and light records will change the level of the platter altering the arms effective bias. Probably best to start with a medium weight record and go from there.
regards
Phil

unixphone

Post by unixphone » 25 Dec 2017 05:33

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I am trying to build up more solid information before the turntable arrivial by reading the maual.
Unfortunately, i cannot find PT Too under:
Belt Drive Turntables link.

Shall i just read the PT one or PT anniversary?

Cloudbase

Post by Cloudbase » 25 Dec 2017 09:55

Great choice, you should have good results once up and running. The PT1 and Anniversary both run dc motors which is a difference to the AC PToo but the main difference really is the Anni has the armboard floating in the same plane as the platter. AFAIK the others just float the platter. If this is correct then it makes balancing the arm board a non issue for you.
Like basket weaver says be careful, the bearing is easily damaged if you accidentally drop the housing onto the ruby? surface.
Other than that prepare to be delighted with your new TT :)

unixphone

Post by unixphone » 25 Dec 2017 10:30

Thanks. I will be extra careful with the bearing.

Do you think $800 was a reasonable price? I am into vintage stuff and he was the only person selling Pink Triangle turntable on ebay.... And, i read some posts PT2 can be upgraded :)
Can you guys reommend me tonearm that will go well with PT2? (Not sure is it possible, my budget is used one for $200 for now)

Cloudbase

Post by Cloudbase » 25 Dec 2017 11:07

Yes I think $800 is a decent price, hopefully everything will be good when it arrives and the new cover alone would be worth approx $100 by itself.
It comes with a SME armboard. If you can source or make up an armboard to take a REGA fitment then this will allow you to source a cheap arm to get up and running. The PToo will take a better arm as and when funds allow (more than 200 bucks i mean)
Keep the SME board you never know ! There's lots of info re REGA or REGA equivalents fitments etc. Just a suggestion, i use an ORIGIN LIVE arm and its a good match for my PT TT.

unixphone

Post by unixphone » 25 Dec 2017 11:47

I would love to buy ORIGIN LIVE arm.

Since i spent hours explaining to my wife why i bought an Amp, speakers and now a second truntable, i probably should keep my budget as “low” as possible.
So,, buy a rega armboard and rega tonearm until i get approval probably is my best option.
Dumb question. Any rega armboard and tonearm will do?

Cloudbase

Post by Cloudbase » 25 Dec 2017 21:33

I believe all REGA armboards use the same dimensions so yes any REGA arm will fit but its an easy check. That's what mine came with. Something like a JELCO arm uses a different pivot point so for example if you use a REGA board this will then later allow a range of aftermarket arms as options should that be your decision. ORIGIN LIVE being the same as REGA just made it an easy swap on my deck. Mine was second hand and although more expensive than $200 it wasn't hugely expensive at about $400 as far as I remember.
Of course the small square mounting boards are penuts compared to the arms mounted on them, they just need to match.

basket weaver

Post by basket weaver » 25 Dec 2017 23:22

Getting a Rega armboard may be a little difficult. DIY is a good option. folded perspex, folded aluminium and lightweight timber are all good options. just keep it low density and rigid.
If the deck is running Ok, money is probably better spent on the arm and cartridge. In its day. it was top of the tree.
You can definite improve on what you already have (it looks bit unused) clean and oil the bearing surfaces, polish the pulley wheel and inner surface of the platter which the belt pulls on. clean the belt with soapy water. if you get a new belt, check its not a little too short (as some are) as this will pull the suspension out of true. check the tightness of the bolts holding the spindle to the sub-platter. Etc,etc,etc. the list goes on but it all makes a difference. Think musical instrument.
Arm choice. Get what you can. Arm first cartridge to match. Rega based arms have a solid reputation but you may do better off-piste with Helius, Mission, Syrinx, Logic. etc. All are good with the PT. The mission 774 original would be an excellent match and it fits on an sme board.
Apologies if this is euro-centric. not familiar with American market.

unixphone

Post by unixphone » 26 Dec 2017 02:05

Since the auction comes with SME board, shall i just get an used SME 3009 tone arm? Is there any other tone arm will work with the SME board?
After the tonearm and cartridge, do i need to buy headshell?

https://m.ebay.com/itm/SME-3009-Tone-ar ... fa7ba8a8:g:

Can i just get this and a rega arm?
https://m.ebay.com/itm/MICHELL-TecnoDec ... SwiWlZ0jvb

unixphone

Post by unixphone » 26 Dec 2017 19:48

Alright, i think i know what i want now.

Used Regan 250
New Denon-DL 160
MICHELL TecnoDec ARM BOARD for Rega Tonearms - Great DIY boar

If this won’t, please let me know.
:)

jy3

Post by jy3 » 27 Dec 2017 11:48

Congratulations on your purchase. I've been using a PTtoo with a Rega 250 for more than a year and am very happy with it. [much better than my previous and far more expensive LP12] I had the arm rewired and purchased a better stub/counterweight. Someone on here can possibly give details for a new armboard or you can look at previous threads to find the dimensions.
Good luck.

tim_bissell
Great Britain

Post by tim_bissell » 27 Dec 2017 15:51

unixphone wrote:Alright, i think i know what i want now.

Used Regan 250
New Denon-DL 160
MICHELL TecnoDec ARM BOARD for Rega Tonearms - Great DIY boar

If this won’t, please let me know.
:)

Used Rega 250 is fine, I don't know if a DL-160 would suit, but it may well do..

Michell Technoweight may well a good upgrade (I have one waiting to go on my Tarantella / RB300)

But if by armboard you are referring to the horizontal square the arm is attached to, then I am not aware of any Michell offering which will fit.

What you need is a 4" (102mm) square of something rigid, with 6mm (1/4") mounting bolt holes drilled on the corners of an 80mm square in that board. I will attach a template I posted earlier for the positioning of the 25-29mm (1"+) hole for the arm pillar.

This board needs to be no more than 12mm (0.5") thick, and needs to to be lifted from the subchassis so that the top of the armboard is about 31mm (1.25") above it, using rigid spacers.

Popular materials for the board are black acrylic (e.g. Perspex) or a 0.5" carbon fibre/end-grain balsa sandwich.

The Funk Firm used to make them, they may still do so, but they are not listed on the website. I make them, and postage may not be too expensive from the UK to the US. Equally, you may be able to to it your self, or know someone who can.

cheers,

Tim

tim_bissell
Great Britain

Post by tim_bissell » 27 Dec 2017 15:54

Also, the PT TOO was pretty much a PT1 with a synchronous AC motor (a la Linn, Thorens, AR etc.) replacing the brushless DC server motor, so for setup details etc, use the PT1 instruction sheet.

Where it says 'ask your dealer, that's what you pay him for' then have a good read through these pages, and ask us if you can't find what you want!

unixphone

Post by unixphone » 30 Dec 2017 03:06

Thank you for all the information.
After reading all the reply, I have decided to go with Mission 774 original.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mission-774-or ... 2749.l2649
I bought it for USD $370.

Hopefully, I did not pay too much for the PT or the Mission 774.

The only thing I need is a Cartridge that can goes well with this tonearm and the TT. Budget is less than $200... :)
I have been searching many websites but I cannot find any videos or websites showing how to install tonearm for PT. The only thing I found online is "Pink Triangle Too turntable Motor power supply upgrade"
Does that mean I need a local professional to install for me?

Thank you for all the inputs. I felt like I am a huge step closer to complete the setup.