the home of the turntable

New Pink Triangle owner

light fantastic

New Pink Triangle owner

Postby karatestu » 15 Dec 2017 16:06

Hello I'm Stu and I have just purchased a PT1 with dc motor, Alphason HR100S and Linn Asaka cartridge. It was owned by Les Worstenholme of Avondale audio (Chesterfield) and he has kept it in excellent condition. He has also made his own Avodale Audio power supply which resides in it's own enclosure.

I have never heard a Pink before and so have bought this blind as it were. Not picked it up yet and I am getting very excited about it's arrival. I do have an LP12 [-X but that will be shown the door very swiftly if the PT1 lives up to expectations. Also trying to get my hands on a 1970's Pioneer pl-71 so I can give all 3 a good bake off.

I hope to be active on the forum soon (this is my first post)

Stu
karatestu

Re: New Pink Triangle owner

Postby tim_bissell » 16 Dec 2017 14:54

Hi Stu,

Welcome to VE, and congratulations on an excellent choice! It sounds like you have a sound start, with a good arm and cartridge, and a decent power supply to improve the speed controller's grip. Aside from the sonic qualities of the PT, setup is much easier than the Linn, with spring adjusters round the side of the plinth. If you are interested in the setup and getting the best from it, it is well worth a read through the threads on this sub-forum, right from the beginning.

There is a very high signal to noise ratio, and lots of useful tips and background information to be picked up.

-- Tim
tim_bissell
contributor

United Kingdom

Postby abril » 17 Dec 2017 09:22

Welcome
You will wonder why you ever had an LP12.
Remember hearing one many years ago through a Lecson pre-power,boingggg said Zebedee [-X
Please remember however they are quite fragile-but then you are not going to be throwing it around :wink:
abril
long player
long player
contributor

Georgia

Postby karatestu » 29 Dec 2017 13:40

Thanks for the welcome.

No i wont be throwing it around. :D

I wont be sad to see the LP12 go if the PT1 betters it.

What are peoples view on funking up a classic table like the PT1 ? On one hand it would be a shame to modify an old deck like this but on the other what if vector etc bring irresistible improvements .

Regards, Stu
karatestu

Postby abril » 29 Dec 2017 19:47

Hi
By a long way the most important upgrade for the PT1 is a decent PSU,it appears you already have that.
Les
abril
long player
long player
contributor

Georgia

Postby karatestu » 31 Dec 2017 08:57

Thanks Les.

I am a big fan of Les w's work at Avondale Audio. The Taps psu for the LP12 is excellent so i expect this psu he has built for the PT1 to be be the dogs danglies.

I should learn to be satisfied and stop yearning for the next improvement. I did contact AK about what could be done to the PT1 but the email he promised on the phone never came. That does not instill me with much confidence about dealing with the funk firm.

Stu
karatestu

Postby jy3 » 31 Dec 2017 11:40

You could try contacting these people Stu, I'd also be interested to hear what they have to say.
http://www.true-point.co.uk/
jy3

England

Postby Cloudbase » 31 Dec 2017 13:56

Welcome to the forum karatestu

I would just suggest you get the thing up and running and see how things are before trying to change things. If your psu is already "fully formed" that's a good start anyway. Unlike an LP12 its not a case of get a TT then spend the next 10 years altering it to get it to work right spending vast sums in the process.
It kinda works straight out the crate seeing as it was basically designed right to start with.

Hope you enjoy the PT I know I do mine. :wink:
Cloudbase

England

Postby karatestu » 03 Jan 2018 15:54

jy3 wrote:You could try contacting these people Stu, I'd also be interested to hear what they have to say.
http://www.true-point.co.uk/

Thanks for the link, very interesting. I least I know where to get belts from now :D

Cloudbase wrote:Welcome to the forum karatestu

I would just suggest you get the thing up and running and see how things are before trying to change things. If your psu is already "fully formed" that's a good start anyway. Unlike an LP12 its not a case of get a TT then spend the next 10 years altering it to get it to work right spending vast sums in the process.
It kinda works straight out the crate seeing as it was basically designed right to start with.

Hope you enjoy the PT I know I do mine. :wink:

I totally agree. I will probably leave it as it is. It is after all a piece of turntable history. Not sure of the serial number until I pick it up.

Thanks,Stu.
karatestu

Postby karatestu » 04 Jan 2018 20:26

I have been busy reading the archives here. There is a wealth of information, thank you everyone for providing this resource. Now my head hurts with all the reading and still more to do.

It will be interesting to see what Les W at Avondale audio used for the power supply. He is a bit of a wizard with these things. As far as i can tell from what i have read the PT1 motor control board accepts 9V dc and there is an LM317 regulator which regulates and reduces the voltage further.

LM317 3 pin regulators are far from the last word in regulation. They do benefit from a regulator or gyrator in front of them but ultimately add noise of their own. If the motor benefits from as litle noise as possible then maybe this lm317 should be replaced with a better regulator or improved such as is shown of martin clark's website (acoustica.org)

Has anyone done this ? And how important is low psu output impedance for the motor and its control circuitry ? If the current demand is constantly changing then this would suggest to me that low output impedance is very important. That would mean big ass high VA transformer, schottky rectifiers, snubbers, good quality smoothing caps and high quality, low output impedance regulators.

Maybe i am barking up the wrong tree here ?

Stu
karatestu

Postby Cloudbase » 06 Jan 2018 17:25

If you already have a usable and properly designed PSU (sorry ive lost the thread a bit on where you are PSU wise) what are you hoping to achieve? If there are improvements to be made and you fancy a spell of experimenting as it can be fun how about supplying the board with a battery supply just to see if you can hear any sonic differences.
I have an Anniversary with a standard PSU ie not the battery version and its perfectly good enough for me. No idea if a battery supply would improve my Anni it might but for moi life's too short and my ears are probably too insensitive ??
Worth a try for you though perhaps? If you measure the actual motor supply (on mine quite small and 2 voltages for the 2 speeds) it may be possible to bypass the board altogether!
Cloudbase

England

Postby Cloudbase » 06 Jan 2018 17:51

Actually scrub that last suggestion, if the motor feedback circuit increases the current as the load changes that would probably be lost. Not sure of the feedback sensing circuit. Maybe just try a battery supply into the board as a trial run.
Cloudbase

England

Postby karatestu » 06 Jan 2018 20:26

Thanks Cloubase.

The Avondale Audio psu that comes with the deck will be extremely good as i have other psu's made by Les. My problem is i am a constant tinkerer and love playing around with different things.

I could try a battery supply but i read that it sits on dynamics but then i will never know unless i give it a go. I have lots of parts knocking about - various different transformers, big caps, rectifiers, regulators (including some ALWSR's - super regulators using an opamp with vanishingly low noise and output impedance). It would be easy for me to try different things like big 500VA transformer and not lose any money if it was no better than the Avondale.

Regards, Stu
karatestu

Postby abril » 06 Jan 2018 21:05

Don't forget all you are looking for is a decently stable supply for a DC motor.
A commercial LM317 based supply with a capacity of over 700mA has worked perfectly well for me,all it is there for is to supply sufficient stable current for the motor to react to demands.
I have an Eagle supply I got through A----n that cost me less than £20 that works beautifully.
Certainly makes a major difference over the original PT supply.
abril
long player
long player
contributor

Georgia

Return to Pink Triangle / Funk Firm