Back in the Pink

light fantastic
Ivor Pinkun

Re: Back in the Pink

Post by Ivor Pinkun » 10 Mar 2019 14:35

Daniel - yes I agree and I'll probably end up getting it fixed one way or another. It's just disheartening that it can't be a simple repair job. I'm still mulling over the options. Thanks for the Claymore link. Would love to hear one of the new ones!

Dr Groove - thanks for sharing. It's encouraging to hear of the improvements and makes me more inclined to get mine fixed rather than give up on it. BTW, I like your choice of test music. Avalon's one of my perennial favourites. Back in the day my local dealer used it for demo too.

thezenroom

Post by thezenroom » 11 Mar 2019 03:22

Ivor Pinkun wrote:
10 Mar 2019 14:35
........... I'll probably end up getting it fixed one way or another. It's just disheartening that it can't be a simple repair job. I'm still mulling over the options.
.............. and makes me more inclined to get mine fixed rather than give up on it.....

The Heed orbit is a relatively easy swap, and the ISOkinetik-ISOdrive is the exact same unit but £100 cheaper:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ISOkinetik-I ... 1744886147
(although if you opt for the ISOkinetik-ISOdrive then buy it direct from the ISOkinetik website)

(The Mose/Hercules is another option, but £100 more than the Heed Orbit)

All these options are external power supplies which power your existing motor in exactly the same way as your PTtoo power supply (rewriting the AC sine-wave).

Ivor Pinkun

Post by Ivor Pinkun » 11 Mar 2019 17:22

Thanks. That sounds an interesting option and I had a quick look at the products.

I'm unsure how they would fit. Is it possible to get one that directly replaces the PT psu and plugs straight into the back of the deck?

Daniel - apologies, maybe I should start a new thread rather than hijack yours!

thezenroom

Post by thezenroom » 11 Mar 2019 20:17

Ivor Pinkun wrote:
11 Mar 2019 17:22

Is it possible to get one that directly replaces the PT psu and plugs straight into the back of the deck?
I'm fairly sure that with the ISOkinetik-ISOdrive (or Heed) you simply put an IEC plug on your turntable power cord and then plug it into the back of the ISOkinetik-ISOdrive unit. So it's basically a drop in replacement for your PTtoo power supply unit.

Contact ISOkinetik directly through their website. And they should be able to give you PT specific instructions.
Attachments
s-l1600-6.jpg
(78.77 KiB) Downloaded 50 times

thezenroom

Post by thezenroom » 11 Mar 2019 21:17

Ivor Pinkun wrote:
09 Mar 2019 15:19
abril wrote:
09 Mar 2019 10:30
Still trying to decide what to do about it.
What exactly is the problem?
It runs slow at both 33 and 45 settings. Also there is a small amount of vibration which can be felt if you put your hand on the top plate.
Ivor, I've just re-read the thread.

Your problem could be one of three things:

1) Faulty PTtoo power supply unit.

2) Faulty motor.

Or 3) the small circuit board mounted next to the motor could be faulty (this pcb/circuit board usually only has a couple of capacitors and resistors on it).

So really you still need a repair man to diagnose the exact problem, because you don't want to spend £299 on a new power supply unit until you know that it will solve the problem.

P700DEE
England

Post by P700DEE » 12 Mar 2019 00:57

Hmmm Currently thinking what to do with mine. I have two PT Too , three Pink power supplies and a Heed to try. Looked into a DC kit from Mark Baker but it's not cheap especially once you look at adding the better control unit. I have recapped the two original power supplies and now the temperature has risen it looks like both work and will still run at 33 so maybe just the wires come off for 45. Interested in anyone who can repair? Need to re-wire the motor on the second Pink as the cable detached at the board switch. When I finally get some more time with a soldering iron I'm going to mod the output from the Heed to a din so I can swap easily from Pink supply to Heed and back. If all else fails I will upgrade a deck to OL DC as everyone seems to think it is better.

Ivor Pinkun

Post by Ivor Pinkun » 12 Mar 2019 14:29

Thanks zenroom. Good point and I'll have to look around for someone who can diagnose where the problem lies.

If it does turn out to be the psu then I'm still unsure how a replacement such as the Isodrive would connect as the PT Too has a captive lead with din(?) connector going from t/t to the psu. Therefore any replacement psu would need to connect to this cable I presume? Anyway, that's not a priority until I know whether the psu is the issue of course.

thezenroom

Post by thezenroom » 14 Mar 2019 20:56

Ivor Pinkun wrote:
12 Mar 2019 14:29
I'm still unsure how a replacement such as the Isodrive would connect as the PT Too has a captive lead with din(?) connector going from t/t to the psu.
You would replace the din connector with the IEC connector pictured above.

Your problem could be one of three things:

1) Faulty PTtoo power supply unit ::::: You could find a local member with a working PToo power supply that you can then plug into your deck. This would prove if it's the PS or not.

2) the small circuit board mounted next to the motor could be faulty :::: It's been 10 years since I've had a PToo so I can't remember if it has a small circuit board mounted next to the motor (this pcb/circuit board usually only has a couple of capacitors and resistors on it). You could check by having a look-see inside. Hopefully it doesn't have one and that would just leave checking the motor.

Or 3) a faulty motor :::: To check the motor you would need a multimeter (set to ohms) to check the coils. The motor has 2 coils, to check them you need to disconnect the wires (otherwise if one coil is broken you could still measure a circuit if the other coil is good) .... That's an PT export motor in the first picture: once the wires are disconnected you need to check there is a circuit between the red wire and the yellow/black wires. And then check there is a circuit between the blue wire and the yellow/black wires. If there is a circuit on both coils and their ohm measurement are roughly equal then the motor is fine.

Incidentally if your motor has the plastic attachment on the bottom as in the second picture, then it's worth checking this is not too tight. Just unscrew the central part a quarter turn and check the speed of the deck. [You could take the opportunity to unscrew the central part and put a single drop of oil in there, then screw back the central part till you just starts to feel pressure, then undo a quarter turn. Then the motor should turn freely by hand]

If you're not technically minded then maybe you know someone with a multimeter who could make those checks.

And lastly, or firstly check your main turntable bearing is lubricated and turning freely, this can easily effect the speed if it is not.
Attachments
P1030770.JPG
(219.24 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
P1030771.JPG
(198.54 KiB) Downloaded 29 times

Ivor Pinkun

Post by Ivor Pinkun » 16 Mar 2019 18:14

Thanks very much, that's excellent information. I'll have a closer look at the deck as soon as I have the time and see if I can make those checks.