the home of the turntable

Pro-Ject Debut III - problems with skipping

carboniferous

Pro-Ject Debut III - problems with skipping

Postby Painkiller » 12 Aug 2017 19:24

Hello

I have a Pro-Ject Debut III that I bought new on offer last year, as I wanted to get into listening to vinyl. It is an older model - not a Carbon. It came with an Ortofon OM10 pickup. I am unsure as to what the actual model name of the turntable is. The dealer that I bought it from called it: "Project Debut III TF OM10 Ltd." See the following picture to see what it says on the box:

I am a complete novice when it comes to turntables, so forgive me if my question is an ignorant one - when it comes to turntables I am practically completely ignorant. So please, when reading this, keep in mind that I know absolutely nothing about turntables. This is my first one. The issue I'm having is the following:

I haven't played THAT many different records so far, but I have played a fair amount, and had the following results:

New records (meaning never played before - bought new) usually play flawlessly to my ears. But I also have a vast collection of used records, and I am having problems with some of them skipping pretty badly, even though the records look mint optically. I've read that the OM10 is poor at tracking, could this be the issue? There is no consistent pattern to the skipping - some records will skip on the first tracks, others will play a couple of tracks flawlessly and with great sound, only to skip like crazy on the last track(s)of that particular side. And some records just skip at various points.

Is there an easy way to check whether my turntable is set up wrong, whether it's just the OM10 that is poor at tracking, or whether it's the records that need cleaning or something?

I set up the turntable myself, based on the manual that was included with the turntable. However, I have never done it before, and have zero knowledge about how things are 'supposed' to be, so it is not unlikely that I have done something wrong. However, the fact that it sounds great (for what it is - a budget turntable) when it does play records properly, leads me to believe it might not be the setup that's the issue. I also put one of those Pro-Ject Cork It mats on it, instead of the felt mat that came with the turntable.

I have ordered one of those Hi Fi News Test LP's - will this help me find out if I've set up my turntable wrong?

As a sidenote - when I turn on the motor, it makes a few grating noises upon startup - maybe 3 or 4 grating noises, which then dissapear. Is this normal?

Sorry for the lengthy post. Just a newbie looking for advice here. :P
Painkiller

Denmark

Re: Pro-Ject Debut III - problems with skipping

Postby otho » 12 Aug 2017 22:04

Hi Painkiller there should be know grating sounds at startup ,have you set the correct tracking weight for the om10,plus is the anti anti skate weight set up right
otho

United Kingdom

Postby Painkiller » 12 Aug 2017 23:30

Hello otho

Thanks for your reply. I followed the instructions that were in the manual for the turntable, and in a video that was published by Pro-Ject. So as far as I know, I've set things the way I was supposed to (to the best of my knowledge, being a complete novice at this). However, I have not measured the tracking weight as I am not sure how to do that, maybe one of you more experienced guys could give some directions with that.

With regards to the grating sound - I don't remember it doing that from the start, but maybe I just didn't notice it in the beginning because I was new at this. But there is definitely a weird grating noise coming from the motor or underneath the platter right when I turn on the turntable. It sounds a couple of times and then dissappears once it's up and running.
Painkiller

Denmark

Postby otho » 13 Aug 2017 12:07

Hi Painkiller the tracking force range for ortofon om10 is from 1.25-1.75G use tracking force gauge from ortofon (small scales to weigh the stylus force) plus set cartridge track alinment you can down load this from tools on vinylengine and print it out free,they do sell these electronic stylus gauges on ebay UK Professional Digital Stylus Force Scale Gauge Precise MC MM for LP Turntable have just bought one myself. I have a project debute 2 that wiil be about 13 years old and have up graded it with new turn table belt, acrylic plater, om20 stylus,plus Q-UP automatic tone arm lifter .......Otho :D
otho

United Kingdom

Postby Painkiller » 13 Aug 2017 13:06

Hello otho

Thanks for the advice, I will look into the things you wrote and see if it helps.

Here is a video of the startup noise. Forgive me for the poor quality, I did this with my webcam. The video quality is poor but you can clearly hear the audio noise upon startup. The loud clicking noise is just me pushing the on/off button.

https://vimeo.com/229455300

Here it is, playing a completely new record, 180 gr, and it sounds great to my ears, and no tracking problems. Sorry, couldn't resist a bit of air-guitar in the background. :P Again, I apologize for the poor video quality (webcam), but the sound is fine for a webcam microphone.

https://vimeo.com/229455336

Here it is, playing a used record from 1990 (normal vinyl weight), and it shows the skipping that I'm talking about. It skips in the same places every time. Could it just be a dirty record? Right at the climax of the song! :cry:

https://vimeo.com/229456858
Painkiller

Denmark

Postby raphaelmabo » 13 Aug 2017 14:21

If the cartridge skips some tracks on used records but seems to work fine on new ones, then I would suspect dirt in the grooves. Clean the records. It's very common that grooves collects dirt and they can be dirty ecen if you don't see it on the records' surface.
() Thorens TD 203, TP82 with Benz Micro MC Silver, Thorens MM02
() Marantz CD63 KI Signature, Pioneer A575, Alchemist TS-1D
() Alchemist Nexus, Alchemist Axiom
() Infinity Reference 50, ALR Jordan Entry 2M
raphaelmabo

Sweden

Postby Painkiller » 13 Aug 2017 14:52

Thank you for the answer. I will try that first, and see if it helps. When it does play, it sounds very nice, and the problem does only seem to occur on used records as far as I can remember. So you are probably right. If this doesn't work, I'll then look into the other options as a further remedy to try and solve this problem.
Painkiller

Denmark

Postby Painkiller » 13 Aug 2017 15:37

Hmm, I just opened a sealed new copy of "Stained Class" by Judas Priest (Mobile Fidely Sound Lab version), and it's skipping all over the place. :cry:
Painkiller

Denmark

Postby otho » 13 Aug 2017 19:18

Hi Painkiller you should not have that noise at the start up ,it needs looking into,and if its set up correctly there should be know skipping .If you cannot sort it out Henelys HiFi maybe be able to help ,they have a turn table servicing Dept...otho :)
otho

United Kingdom

Postby willwill » 23 Aug 2017 11:59

I never had problems like that with OM 10. Try rebalancing tonearm. If this is not done correctly your tracking force can be faulty. It is good idea to have a scale. I use one from ebay/dx.

I have that startup noise some times too. But just with acrylic platter.
willwill

Finland

Return to Pro-Ject Audio Systems