VC-S cleaner vacuum arm strips

carboniferous
omegabri

Re: VC-S cleaner vacuum arm strips

Post by omegabri » 01 Feb 2018 15:13

Don't know, but I guess I usually change the strips every 50 or so lp's - just to keep things clean.

tomstephens89
Great Britain

Post by tomstephens89 » 02 Jan 2019 19:47

Glad I found this thread. I’ve just ordered 10 meters of the 4mm self adhesive hairy worm for the same price as 3 little sets of Project strips.

Yellow Hound

Post by Yellow Hound » 03 Jan 2019 08:18

I am looking at buying a VC-S machine so this is very much of interest.
Can I just check - is it the woven or brush pile that is best?
Thanks.

tomstephens89
Great Britain

Post by tomstephens89 » 03 Jan 2019 22:27

Yellow Hound wrote:
03 Jan 2019 08:18
Thanks.
I’ve ordered the brush pile.

Yellow Hound

Post by Yellow Hound » 04 Jan 2019 07:07

tomstephens89 wrote:
03 Jan 2019 22:27
Yellow Hound wrote:
Thanks.
Thank you!

tomstephens89
Great Britain

Post by tomstephens89 » 07 Jan 2019 21:14

Yellow Hound wrote:
04 Jan 2019 07:07
tomstephens89 wrote:
Yellow Hound wrote:
Thanks.
Thank you!
An update for you. I have just received my 10m of the Hairy Worm 4mm Brush Pile Strip.

When I opened the parcel and saw it for the first time my heart sank a bit and I thought to myself 15 odd quid wasted. It looked a lot bigger and too ‘heavy duty’ in my opinion.

So I cut two lengths, and flattened them out for a bit, then tried to stick them onto the vacuum arm.

This stuff is a LOT thicker than the Project strips (black or white version), also the backing is quite hard and stiff.

Anyway I fought a battle getting the ends of it to stay attached, even left the arm with the strips clamped between some desk items for half an hour.

Looked good so far, got the arm on the machine with a rubbish old test record. Hmmmm the thickness of the strips meant the arm doesn’t drop down as reassuringly as the stock strips.

Never mind I thought, few goes round, it works. But..... onto the second side....

Oh wait the strips have peeled off totally.

Conclusion:

These strips are too thick, too stiff and the adhesive is crap. I took photos comparing the genuine with this I will upload later.

Yellow Hound

Post by Yellow Hound » 08 Jan 2019 06:34

tomstephens89 wrote:
07 Jan 2019 21:14
Yellow Hound wrote:
tomstephens89 wrote:

Thank you!
An update for you. I have just received my 10m of the Hairy Worm 4mm Brush Pile Strip.

When I opened the parcel and saw it for the first time my heart sank a bit and I thought to myself 15 odd quid wasted. It looked a lot bigger and too ‘heavy duty’ in my opinion.

So I cut two lengths, and flattened them out for a bit, then tried to stick them onto the vacuum arm.

This stuff is a LOT thicker than the Project strips (black or white version), also the backing is quite hard and stiff.

Anyway I fought a battle getting the ends of it to stay attached, even left the arm with the strips clamped between some desk items for half an hour.

Looked good so far, got the arm on the machine with a rubbish old test record. Hmmmm the thickness of the strips meant the arm doesn’t drop down as reassuringly as the stock strips.

Never mind I thought, few goes round, it works. But..... onto the second side....

Conclusion:

These strips are too thick, too stiff and the adhesive is crap. I took photos comparing the genuine with this I will upload later.
Thanks - I was about to place an order.
Back to the drawing board?

tomstephens89
Great Britain

Post by tomstephens89 » 09 Jan 2019 15:48

Yellow Hound wrote:
08 Jan 2019 06:34
tomstephens89 wrote:
07 Jan 2019 21:14
Yellow Hound wrote:

Thank you!

Conclusion:

Thanks - I was about to place an order.
Back to the drawing board?
I should say so. Im still confused by the positive comments RE the 4mm hairy worm earlier in this thread. Has the product changed or something? Because what I got is like I say, very very different from the project strips.

Yellow Hound

Post by Yellow Hound » 09 Jan 2019 15:51

I have just ordered the Project machine, along with a few sets of replacement arm strips.
I wonder whether it would be worth sending a sample of the Project material to The Hairy Worm company to see if they could match it?

tomstephens89
Great Britain

Post by tomstephens89 » 09 Jan 2019 21:55

Yellow Hound wrote:
09 Jan 2019 15:51
I have just ordered the Project machine, along with a few sets of replacement arm strips.
I wonder whether it would be worth sending a sample of the Project material to The Hairy Worm company to see if they could match it?
I have had a stroke of luck! I tried again with the hairy worm. This time left my cut strips to flatten for a couple of hours in a book under weight.

I then stuck them on the arm and strapped the ends down using Velcro cable ties, left it for an hour and it’s stuck down good.

A few records through it later and all seems good to me!!

I videoed it for you:

https://youtu.be/IH4cBy6rhPg

Yellow Hound

Post by Yellow Hound » 10 Jan 2019 06:57

tomstephens89 wrote:
09 Jan 2019 21:55
Yellow Hound wrote:
I have had a stroke of luck! I tried again with the hairy worm. This time left my cut strips to flatten for a couple of hours in a book under weight.

I then stuck them on the arm and strapped the ends down using Velcro cable ties, left it for an hour and it’s stuck down good.

I videoed it for you:

Thank you very much!
My machine is being delivered today although it's going to get confiscated as it's a birthday present (birthday is next month). Bought it early as I got a good price on it from Juno.

tomstephens89
Great Britain

Post by tomstephens89 » 10 Jan 2019 12:11

Yellow Hound wrote:
10 Jan 2019 06:57
tomstephens89 wrote:
09 Jan 2019 21:55
Yellow Hound wrote:

I videoed it for you:

Thank you very much!
My machine is being delivered today although it's going to get confiscated as it's a birthday present (birthday is next month). Bought it early as I got a good price on it from Juno.
Run about 20 LP's through with the new strips and they are still stuck fast and doing the job well.

tomstephens89
Great Britain

Post by tomstephens89 » 14 Jan 2019 18:44

I celebrated too soon. About 30 off LP’s and it’s peeling off on one end. I ripped them off and cleaned the area with IPA.... then got another 2 that had been flattened in a book for days. But oh no.... they are still lifting at the ends.

Total rubbish. The adhesive is not strong enough to even hold the natural curve down.

Yellow Hound

Post by Yellow Hound » 16 Jan 2019 06:43

tomstephens89 wrote:
14 Jan 2019 18:44
I celebrated too soon. About 30 off LP’s and it’s peeling off on one end. I ripped them off and cleaned the area with IPA.... then got another 2 that had been flattened in a book for days. But oh no.... they are still lifting at the ends.

Total rubbish. The adhesive is not strong enough to even hold the natural curve down.
Ah no!

tomstephens89
Great Britain

Post by tomstephens89 » 14 Sep 2019 09:41

Hi again all, been a while but I thought i'd update you.

I have found a product that works in place of the overpriced replacement project strips.

Its felt tape! This one right here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1

I got 15ft of the 3/4 inch. I flattened a cut length under some books for a day and then cut it long ways in half with a stanley blade to give me two perfect strips.

Still going strong after a good few cleaning sessions and no showing any signs of letting go!

Its also quite thin compared to that hairy worm, much closer to the thickness of the stock strips which means you get good suction contact.