VC-S cleaner vacuum arm strips

carboniferous
omegabri

VC-S cleaner vacuum arm strips

Post by omegabri » 16 May 2017 16:15

Hi guys

Normally I'd be far from concerned over the small cost for the replacement self adhesive brush-pile strips that are fitted to the vacuum arm of the VC-S cleaner.
I have a VC-S cleaner, and have to firstly say it's a superb piece of kit! It works a treat. However, I have (as most) quite a large record collection. Upon receiving my new Pro-Ject VC-S cleaning machine (a few weeks back) I decided to slowly work through my entire collection, and give all my lps a 're-clean' (I record bath washed and re-sleeved all my vinyls previously as I received them, before being played)...Anyway, working through the lps I noticed a vacuum arm strip coming off, the other not totally secure to the aluminium arm?
I've now just put my thrid set of strips on, in as many weeks, and just ordered a further two sets! At £3.50 for 2x 4 inch strips I got curious as to whether anyone had found the source for it? I can buy similar 'brush pile draft strip' as a 6 metre length for only £5....That's over 50x 4" strips for jyst over the cost of 2x Pro-Ject strips!! But, the size is slightly too large, compared to the Pro-Ject strip. My search goes on...

So......there's my question: Has anyone ever sourced the correct size strip?, in a roll?

Cheers :)
Bri :wink:

readargos

Re: VC-S cleaner vacuum arm strips

Post by readargos » 16 May 2017 20:40

I'm interested in the answer, but don't have recommendations. Could you cut the bulk strips you found to an appropriate size?

A few suggestions. I will presume you're cleaning the old adhesive before attaching new strips. If not, you can use lighter fluid applied to a cloth or kitchen paper or cotton swabs/pads, or products specifically made for removing sticky residue. (In the U.S., e.g., there is a product called Goo Gone.) Perhaps acetone (nail polish remover) would work, as well. Then wipe with alcohol or window cleaner to ensure a clean contact area for the new strips. Of course, keep the lighter fluid or acetone away from your records.

After replacing the strips, be sure to allow a few hours (up to overnight) for the adhesive to set before you resume cleaning. It could also be the fluid you're using is attacking the adhesive and weakening it prematurely.

omegabri

Post by omegabri » 16 May 2017 20:49

Hi..

Cutting the bulk length strips wouldn't be an issue. It was the height of the actual pile that was the issue. The strip provided withthe machine is on approx 1 - 2 mm. Most 'draft' strips are min 3 - 5 mm
Yer. The arm was thoroughly cleaned, however I must admit to carrying on once the new strips were in place.

omegabri

Post by omegabri » 20 May 2017 15:41

Samples coming this weekend. Previous ones had too much pile. They were standard door draft strip size.
I'm hopeful I've got the right size coming next :)

I'll keep you posted :D

readargos

Post by readargos » 22 May 2017 15:08

Yeah, I had tried standard door draft pile, and it was indeed too high to get much suction.

misterdog

Post by misterdog » 01 Jun 2017 22:58

Is the pile of the alternative strip man made fibre ? I would dubious about using something that may impart static back into the vinyl.

I sourced pure cotton velvet strip and matching double sided tape for my DIY machine.

£ 2.10 for 10 Metres mine was 10mm wide I think this listing is wrong..

omegabri

Post by omegabri » 03 Jun 2017 23:51

Got it. A company called Hairy Worm do a 4mm high pile that's the same, as far as I can see. It's grey, and not white, but that's the onky visual difference. I've not tried the sample I have, but its a LOT cheaper :wink:

I'll keep you posted

misterdog

Post by misterdog » 04 Jun 2017 10:53

Adding the link for the velvet ribbon would help...

https://www.namaste-uk.com/search.php?j ... 2373b6746f

omegabri

Post by omegabri » 08 Jun 2017 16:17

http://www.thehairyworm.co.uk

Its their 4mm, self adhesive.
I've still not had cause to change my fitted ProJect strips yet, so I've not actually tried my sample, but would imagine its perfect :D

Tom_Technics

Post by Tom_Technics » 24 Nov 2017 13:49

omegabri wrote:http://www.thehairyworm.co.uk

Its their 4mm, self adhesive.
I've still not had cause to change my fitted ProJect strips yet, so I've not actually tried my sample, but would imagine its perfect :D
Have you tried it yet?

omegabri

Post by omegabri » 08 Dec 2017 07:26

:lol: after all that looking, I've not actually tried it yet.

Load more lps planned for new year, so will try some then and report back to you :wink:

omegabri

Post by omegabri » 03 Jan 2018 15:19

Hi all

Just tried the new strips, once I'd cut them to size. Done a handful of lp's, and have to say that the strips work brilliantly. No different than the Pro-Ject supplied strips, only you can cut these to exactly the right length to fully cover the length of the vacuum arm, and it works out dramatically cheaper!

I layed cut strips in a book, just to take out the natural curve of the rolled up lenght that got delivered, but other than that, bingo! :)

Bri..

Hydrology

Post by Hydrology » 29 Jan 2018 12:22

Bought the same strips from The Hairy Worm and they work great!

omegabri

Post by omegabri » 30 Jan 2018 22:05

Hydrology wrote:Bought the same strips from The Hairy Worm and they work great!

Glad to hear :wink: :wink:

Hydrology

Post by Hydrology » 01 Feb 2018 13:02

No that I care too much now that we have a cheaper replacement option, but how often does ProJect recommend to replace the adhesive strips? I'm sure I did read it somewhere but cant for the life of me remember where.