the home of the turntable

Pro-ject The Classic (new turntable)

carboniferous

Pro-ject The Classic (new turntable)

Postby Guest » 23 May 2016 13:06

Just came across Pro-ject's new turntable, called The Classic. It isn't even on Pro-ject's web site yet but some dealers have listed it:

http://snvinyl.co.uk/epages/eshop943300 ... ts/PROJ650
http://www.harrowaudiohifi.co.uk/project-the-classic

It's nice to see a new turntable in a more traditional design.

Re: Pro-ject The Classic (new turntable)

Postby Trio KD1033 » 23 May 2016 13:28

That does look nice. It's got a touch of old school Thorens about it.
Trio KD1033

England

Postby Guest » 23 May 2016 14:04

I tell a lie - The Classic is mentioned in their May newsletter, which is available on their web site:

http://www.project-audio.com/inhalt/en/ ... 120516.pdf

I'm wondering how you change the speed, as it says the speed-change is manual. Surely it isn't necessary to remove the platter to move the belt. Perhaps there is a suitably sized window/hole in the platter.

I was amused by the line "Project Audio Systems tries to sell not only to the audiophile community, but to music lovers".

They announce a lot of new products in the newsletter, including versions of their established models (such as the Debut) with an S-shaped tonearm. There's also a new range of phono-preamps in a retro style.

I think this year we are seeing many new products as a result of the 'vinyl revival'.

Postby nuso » 23 May 2016 14:27

I had a chance to take a look at new Classic in person, it was introduced on Munich show. I made few shots and posted them in a thread here.

I'm wondering how you change the speed, as it says the speed-change is manual. Surely it isn't necessary to remove the platter to move the belt. Perhaps there is a suitably sized window/hole in the platter.

Nope, there's no window in platter for change of speed, and it is indeed manual.

Cheers, Rado
nuso

Czech Republic

Postby trev57 » 23 May 2016 14:56

Strange, but the sub platter looks exactly like the sub platter on a Polish made unitra fonica deck from the eighties, the unitra decks were actually quite good, I wonder if the decks of today will still be around in forty plus years, does MDF hold together that long?.
trev57

France

Postby nuso » 23 May 2016 15:19

Even my Micro DD-40 and Dual 435 have chassis made of MDF, I see no problem there. Subplatter itself seems to be made of plastic (looks like ABS material to me).

nuso

Czech Republic

Postby Guest » 23 May 2016 15:28

Sorry Rado, I didn't see your post about it, but I don't normally look in the Pro-ject section. You took some nice photos. I think a window in the platter for speed change would have been a useful feature. It certainly looks a lovely machine. I wonder whether they'll eventually do a version with an S-shaped tonearm, as they are doing for many of their other models.

Postby paki976 » 23 May 2016 15:29

nuso wrote:Strange, but the sub platter looks exactly like the sub platter on a Polish made unitra fonica deck from the eighties

I think it's the same subplatter used on Tesla turntables (and the NAD clone), so I suppose what once was to be Tesla it's now the Pro-ject manufactoring?

Fabrizio
paki976
contributor

Italy

Postby trev57 » 23 May 2016 15:54

What makes me jolly is the old audiophile hook, make it look as simple as possible and people think it's top notch pricey audiophile stuff, seems to be an eye to brain thing not necessarily a whats it sound like thing. I'm of the opinion that a lot of this stuff is a bit pricey for what it is, you can buy an all singing all dancing giant TV for the price of some not to special decks, profit margin must be énormément.
trev57

France

Postby Guest » 23 May 2016 17:31

I imagine the engineering involved in developing and manufacturing a mechanical system that can track a record microgroove without damaging it and faithfully reproduce the sound encoded within it is quite demanding. So I doubt that the profits are énorme. They are also catering for much smaller numbers than with TVs. How many Classics do they expect to sell, I wonder?

Postby trev57 » 23 May 2016 17:55

The engineering is nothing new, all been done before, no research and development involved whatsoever, you have a motor mounted on a bit of MDF, a belt which drives either a sub platter or platter which rides on a bearing, an arm with a cartridge on the end, connected to an amp, simple. Then it's down to how quiet the motor and bearing are, how well the speed is controlled and how well it's insulated from its surroundings. Record players are a problem when it comes to choice, as you can't set ten up in your living room and do a comparison. Years ago I worked for a TV and hi-fi company, I used to go out and set up and demo the stuff, I would be a rich man now if I had a pound for every time the client said it sounded a lot better in the shop, shops also have a tendency to lead you towards buying items with a higher profit margin, or items they are having trouble shifting, not always in the customers best interest. So in conclusion, the projects look a nice bit of kit but are basically a record player, nothing overly special.
trev57

France

Postby AudioSoul » 24 May 2016 00:16

It looks like a modernized AR turntable to me. Of course the AR shars some of the same looks as the old Thorens turntable....
AudioSoul
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby spacecadet » 24 May 2016 07:27

I personally think it's kind of ugly. I know the style they're going for but I think it looks reminiscent of what a particularly cheap turntable of that era and style would have looked like, with the very minimalist controls and that extra-chunky tonearm. I think the Onkyo CP1050 at least does a similar *look* better, although I know it's not a particularly well regarded turntable overall.
spacecadet

United States of America

Postby Tonybro » 24 May 2016 07:36

This table looks to be a parts-bin raid and the motor/pulley, sub-platter and arm look to be the same as my Pro-ject Debut SE III. That means the plinth and platter are different as is the counterweight.

That's not a criticism btw, my SE III is a nice basic deck.

At least they are trying slightly new things....
Tony
Linn LP12, Hercules II, AudioMods Classic, Ortofon Cadenza Red
STD 305S SME3009 II Shure V15 III
Linn Axis Basik Plus Arm Denon DL-110
Technics SL1200 Mk2 'Blooey' AT150MLx
Tonybro
long player
long player

United Kingdom

Postby nuso » 24 May 2016 09:58

nuso

Czech Republic

Next

Return to Pro-Ject Audio Systems