Official Pro-Ject Fix For Turntable Rumble Now Launched

carboniferous
steffner

Re: Official Pro-Ject Fix For Turntable Rumble Now Launched

Post by steffner » 04 Jun 2012 17:45

I know there was talk earlier on in this thread about replacing the motor in these turntables. I'm getting ready to do it and i'll let you know how it goes. I attempted to contact Sumiko 2x concerning this issue with no reply. What I wanted to know is if it's possible to replace the motor in the Pro-ject XpressionIII with one from a Music Hall 2.1 (spare from previous turntable).

The reason for this is that I tried all the previously mentioned methods and still got some rumble. But mine was coming from the motor itself. I pulled the motor out and held it in my hand and turned it on and the motor was vibrating something fierce. I manually turned the spindle and it wasn't smooth at all which leads me to believe that it is the motor itself (along with the mounting). I'll put the other motor in and see how that goes.

Stephen.

Garven
Canada

Post by Garven » 05 Jun 2012 14:49

steffner,

Your description of the motor vibrating is very much my situation too. In fact I've found that any of the methods where the motor and bracket are allowed to vibrate freely, no matter what kind of suspended mounting, sorbothane grommets, blu-tack, etc., results in more resonant noise than firmly securing the bracket with transit screws. Adding blu-tack between the bracket and the plinth when screwing it down seems to help dampen and direct resonance transmitted from the motor, but it's still there. My motor vibrates quite a bit when I hold it and also does not turn smoothly when I turn the spindle manually. I actually just ordered a new stylus for my cartridge and will be talking to my dealer when I pick it up, so I may price a new motor at that time.

So I'm curious to hear how your motor change turns out.

steffner

Post by steffner » 06 Jun 2012 01:55

Garven:

I completed the motor replacement last evening. I did take pictures and will post them when I figure out how. Anyway, the replacement was pretty easy. There are only 4 wires to solder up and I was able to do it without cutting any of the original motor wires (just in case). The hardest part was getting the height right on the motor pulley. If it was too high it would rub on the platter and too low and it would bind in the motor housing. The operation is smooth with no physical vibrations coming from the motor itself. How this will translate to any plinth transfer is anybody's guess.

So tonight I was able to check on the timing and it seems correct with my strobe. I'll have to wait until tomorrow night to test the rumble out when hooked up to an amplifier. (I have a 4yr old which kinda limits what you can do after he goes to bed). I'll write more about the sound 'benefits' then.

Anyway, the replacement Music Hall 2.1 motor is pretty much identical to the stock one. They are both 16v motors. The only difference is that the Pro-ject motor has a yellow sticker on the bottom whereas the Music Hall had a little one on the side.

Garven
Canada

Post by Garven » 07 Jun 2012 13:07

Great! I'm looking forward to your impressions.

Chuckstar-uk

Post by Chuckstar-uk » 22 Aug 2012 22:44

How tight are you supposed to tighten the new mounting screws? Are they supposed to be loosely screwed down but so that the new grommets are not deformed or screwed to the point that any further turns would be obviously over tightening but enough that the grommets are squished?

Kernow

Post by Kernow » 05 Nov 2012 15:45

I'm planning on buying this upgrade soon for my RPM4, but maybe not if it looks like I'll be paying £30 for two rubber gromets! Can anyone confirm you do actually get a different pulley and belt still with the UK upgrade kit?

Kernow

Post by Kernow » 05 Nov 2012 22:13

sod it, just bought one.

Kernow

Post by Kernow » 10 Nov 2012 11:23

arrived, time to split some sorbothane blobs! :P

Kernow

Post by Kernow » 10 Nov 2012 13:52

Took me a bit longer than the fabled ten minutes, mainly because whenever I fitted the belt it'd pull the motor off center. It definitely sounds better though... I think.

Kernow

Post by Kernow » 11 Nov 2012 21:41

Few more hours listening, this upgrade is worth every penny, really upgraded my RPM4 significantly.

Post by Guest » 13 Nov 2012 01:02

I'm surprised that no one seems to have tried the Herbie's dampers on the tonearm base and the platter bearing housing, nor the Audio Additives damping sheets on the underside of the plinth, such as I described some time ago in regards to my MMF-2.2. In fact, I've been able to reduce the number of the arm dampers to just the one large one on the base.

Vorig

Post by Vorig » 18 Jan 2013 21:59

Anyone know how to get this in the U.S.? I want it for my Debut III. Do I need the 50hz version or 60hz?

ejk

Post by ejk » 19 Jan 2013 23:17

Vorig wrote:Anyone know how to get this in the U.S.? I want it for my Debut III. Do I need the 50hz version or 60hz?

In the U.S. its 60 Hz. Give these guys a call. Got mine from them

http://www.audiotwo.ca/

Vorig

Post by Vorig » 20 Jan 2013 17:05

Thanks. So just to confirm, Pro-ject has resolved the faulty timing issue with the 60hz band/pulley? Earlier posts on this thread indicated that the 60hz version was discontinued due to timing issues.

phaze267

Post by phaze267 » 25 Jun 2013 18:01

I know this is an old thread, but I'd like to share my experience with my RPM5. Following other's suggestion I placed small rubber grommets under the 4 screws that hold the motor-retaining belt. The belt was positioned in the grooves of the grommets. I also added a few small washers to raise the grommets so that the belt didn't touch the plinth. This is nothing new, but it seems to work quite well.

Then I placed 2 larger rubber grommets under the transport mounting screws and tightened the screws a little (like the fix kit). This actually seemed to add a little rumble. I swapped out the stock belt for an 19.5" medium round belt, and was surprised that this made the rumble a lot worse. So I went back to the stock belt.

I removed the 2 grommets under the transport screws and used the round belt again. Sill too much rumble.

In conclusion, for my turntable, I found that adding the 4 grommets and washers to hold the motor retaining belt seemed to be the best fix. The round belt only seemed to make things worse.