Debut Carbon Esprit 2M Blue (Red Cartridge) on Onkyo A9010 - Muffled Sound

carboniferous
terryoverall

Debut Carbon Esprit 2M Blue (Red Cartridge) on Onkyo A9010 - Muffled Sound

Post by terryoverall » 24 Oct 2019 13:43

As per the subject, I swapped my Essential 2 out for the Debut Carbon Esprit & placed my 2M Blue stylus on the factory installed Red Cartridge.

I’m using the Onkyo 9010’s built in Phono but when compared to the Essential 2 the Debut sound sounds muffled, and lacking in top end.

Could it be the sound stage in the Onkyo? Or is it worth me changing the Red cartridge over so it’s back on the Blue and setting up from scratch. I’m quite used to doing this as I had to several times with a faulty 2M Blue on the Essential 2.

Or, do I try a separate Phono stage, which to be honest is not my preferred option?

Addendum; the Essential had the Phono stage built in.

Answers on a postcard!

JaS
engine room
engine room

Re: Debut Carbon Esprit 2M Blue (Red Cartridge) on Onkyo A9010 - Muffled Sound

Post by JaS » 25 Oct 2019 09:16

I'd definitely try swapping the cartridges around, if only to rule it out as the source of the problem. Going through the setup again wouldn't be a bad idea too.

If all else fails see if your dealer will loan you a phono stage; I've never heard a 9010 so I couldn't say if it's phono stage is any good :-k

terryoverall

Re: Debut Carbon Esprit 2M Blue (Red Cartridge) on Onkyo A9010 - Muffled Sound

Post by terryoverall » 26 Oct 2019 16:50

Bingo!

Took the plunge and bought a separate Project Phono stage.

The difference is night and day. As good a budget amp the a9010 is, the internal Phono is clearly not much cop.

Lesson learned.