Primary E - motor noise - how to proceed?

carboniferous
encoderaudio
Hungary

Primary E - motor noise - how to proceed?

Post by encoderaudio » 18 Jul 2019 06:10

Hi Guys,

First of all, sorry about that this is my first post, but I'm totally pointless...

In May, 2019, I bought a Primary E turntable, brand new.
Everything is OK with it, except that I have to record some stuff to my computer.

Actually, I'd like to record a bunch of samples from the inner, endless groove from my records, you know, that rhythmyc crackle inside the record.

I noticed, that I have a hum...180-220 Hz.

I checked all the cables, used different audio interafces, moved the turntable, etc.

I think this comes from the motor.

I can hear the motor, which is OK, not a big deal, but is it normal that it bleeds to the music???

A vinyl end sample :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/efjakr79xkv1u ... 1.wav?dl=0

This sample has been recorded with the belt removed, needle on the record...this is what you can hear :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/96vyq9xjulqvm ... 2.wav?dl=0

Of course, I've called the shop where I bought it, they told me I should call the main Pro-Ject distributor in Hungary.
I did.
They told me ... well in a polite way ... this is what you get for that amount of money ...

Now.

I've never ever experienced this problem with my old DUAL turntable. Never. Ever!
I've used that in the same HIFI environment, in the same room, with the same cables, with the same AMP, on the very same furniture.

I wrote to Pro-Ject in their Facebook page, that I'd like to reach them directly.

My main problems with this :

- it is really really not OK that I can hear that noise, specially now, that I know where it comes from ... I can hear it all the time!!
- also, it is 2 months old! I don't have another one just to check that this is normal, I mean the noise. What if it is faulty already and the motor will die soon?

I'll wait a bit more, but I'm sure I won't let this situation go with this "this is what you get for your money" stuff...for that amount of money, I could buy a direct drive cheap USB DJ thing, or, for a bit more, and LP120.

Any ideas?

vanakaru

Re: Primary E - motor noise - how to proceed?

Post by vanakaru » 18 Jul 2019 07:00

I would return it as faulty. Turntables should not produce noise. I think that the shop is responsible and they should be contacting the distributor if they like to do so. Do not let you push around. I am sure you have Consumer Protection Agency in Hungary. To contact them would be my next step if the shop refuses to take it back.
With cheap(if you think that 150EUR is cheap) gear it is not worth to try to fix the problems.

H. callahan

Post by H. callahan » 18 Jul 2019 07:15

This tt isn´t even entry-level, i would say. W+F of 0.29% ain´t good, speed variation of 0.8% neither is and they even don´t tell you about rumble.
So it is very likely that all the Primary Es have this ammount hum. If you want a reasonable tt for 150€ today you have to go vintage.

encoderaudio
Hungary

Post by encoderaudio » 18 Jul 2019 09:23

For sure, I've read about this motor noise issue in the past few days, yet, it should not be audible like this.
Actually, you can't use the turntable with headphones and you can't record from this.

For now, I fixed this, I bought an LP120 from Thomann, just because I really have to record a lot from records and I simply do not have time for this fight with customer service, but I won't this let go.
Right now, this is an expensive letter weight...

In the meantime I've got the mail address for the centre through the Pro-Ject FB page, we'll see...

@Callahan, yes, I know, but I wanted something new, to avoid things like this. If it is new, there is warranty ...

encoderaudio
Hungary

Post by encoderaudio » 18 Jul 2019 12:41

Hah...the FB conversation is erxtremly funny, I'll summarise it to you guys, you won't believe this sh*t :D

H. callahan

Post by H. callahan » 18 Jul 2019 14:04

Why don´t you use your Dual?

The problem today is you cannot get a new and reasonable tt for 150€. You had to pay 500€ or more to get something acceptable, which then just was acceptable and nothing outstanding.

If you don´t return it all one could try was to tweak this Primary E to hopefully reduce its hum.

encoderaudio
Hungary

Post by encoderaudio » 18 Jul 2019 14:25

How can you tweak it?

H. callahan

Post by H. callahan » 19 Jul 2019 02:25

Try to reduce vibrations by damping. Can´t say how much could be achieved but probably every tt can be tweaked to some extend regarding vibrations/hum.

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 19 Jul 2019 03:46

It is a fact of "modern life" that there are a lot of hucksters out there pushing crappy product, always with a lot of hype, promotional pizzaz and thinly veiled lies. You can't make a silk purse out of a pig's ear, no matter how well you sculpt a pile of s**t, in the end, all you have is a pile of well sculpted s**t.....well, you get the idea. As mentioned by others, you cannot reasonably expect high returns from low investment. This hobby can be very fulfilling and satisfying, but make no doubt...it does demand a certain attention to detail and a similar willingness to follow a reliably defined route...which includes investing adequately in quality equipment. Push-button, mass produced, "modern technology" does not begin to provide the input one needs to truly enjoy the vinyl experience. There is probably decent new equipment out there (I'm personally totally dedicated to vintage equipment), but until one is willing to invest in equipment up to the standards of the original equipment that gave birth to the hobby, less than desireable returns must be expected. I am truly sorry, and actually mad that the problems that you are experiencing with a manufacturer/distributor are fouling your vinyl experience. Nothing short of boycott of products will turn this around, with shoddy product being pitched to the public, using an amazing history of vinyl appreciation as the lure. I hope you are able to resolve the whole thing positively....but as mentioned...perhaps you should embrace your vintage possibility with the Dual. Keep the faith.... :(

H. callahan

Post by H. callahan » 20 Jul 2019 04:13

Just for clarification, by tweaking you won´t be able to turn the Primary E into a decent machine. All one could do was to reduce its flaws, but only to some extend. When the construction is inferior you cannot tweak it endlessly, unless you swap the construction.

Henley
Great Britain

Post by Henley » 29 Aug 2019 14:44

Ask your dealer for a high power it, this will probably fix the issue.