Used Project RPM 9 Carbon maintenance?

carboniferous
dnb4

Used Project RPM 9 Carbon maintenance?

Post by dnb4 » 19 Apr 2019 00:47

I will be receiving a used RPM 9 Carbon soon and wondering what I should do for routine maintenance before putting it in play. Unable to find anything on-line and I am tired of looking! Thanks!!

Big Al

Re: Used Project RPM 9 Carbon maintenance?

Post by Big Al » 19 Apr 2019 12:06

There is likely to be little to do apart from the usual routine of setting up the cartridge properly. Check the condition of the belt. It may well need to be replaced unless otherwise advised by the seller. If the motor pulley is less than spotless then use isopropyl alcohol to carefully clean it. Then enjoy and if the upgrade bug does hit then invest in the Oracle damping kit for the arm - see separate thread.

willboy

Post by willboy » 20 Apr 2019 09:40

It wouldn't hurt to clean and relube the platter bearing.

dnb4

Post by dnb4 » 21 Apr 2019 06:14

Thank-you Big Al and willboy!! The table arrived today while I was away, but our dog walker was with our dogs and she brought the 2 boxes in the house. When I returned this evening, I unpacked and inspected it. One of the magnetic legs was apart and the magnets stuck together and it took me and the wife to get the magnets apart and the leg back together. Those are some powerful magnets!! One of the connecting pins for the 5 pin tonearm plug was bent, no big deal to get it aligned and the plug connected. Leveled the plinth and called it good for the night. Tomorrow will clean the motor pulley and the platter bearing and use some lithium grease on the bearing. The tonearm is loose so I will have to align it to the platter, print a protractor, mount the cartridge (Ortofon OM 40 Gold), adjust downforce, VTA, azimuth and antiskate, connect it and hear what it sounds like. Thanks again!!