VTA (SRA) Adjustment for Pro-Ject Tonearms

carboniferous
jjgr

VTA (SRA) Adjustment for Pro-Ject Tonearms

Post by jjgr » 29 Mar 2019 12:29

Is anyone here aware of a VTA adjustment tool for Pro-Ject tonearms - similar to the EASY VTA adjust tool for Jelco tonearms?: http://purusaudio.pt/easyVTA.html.

I've searched all over - and can't find anything that would make VTA/SRA adjustment easy and repeatable. My Pro-Ject 9 aluminum tonearm has been great, but there is definitely wobble in the tonearm column when making VTA adjustment using the grub screws, and i'd really love to have a way to dial in my VTRA/SRA with some level of repeatable precision.
This would seem to be a useful thing for all Pro-Ject tonearms - as they all have this same basic constraint (excluding the top end arms that look like Jelcos) - someone could make a decent return i would think for such a product.

Cheers!
J

MikeFaulkner

Re: VTA (SRA) Adjustment for Pro-Ject Tonearms

Post by MikeFaulkner » 24 Apr 2019 16:35

Been thinking about the same over the past few weeks. Are you thinking about something that you can adjust 'on the fly' or something to make the process easier? TT here is an Xpression III.

jjgr

Post by jjgr » 25 Apr 2019 12:52

Either would be a much needed and welcomed improvement! Anything that improved the accuracy (i.e. removed/reduced the "wobble" of the column in the collar), makes it possible to easily listen to one setting then adjust slightly up or down, or even to do so "on the fly" would be great (though i don't view "on the fly" a must have - it's probably a more "marketable" product). TT here is an MMF 7 with one-piece 9" aluminum, re-wired, tonearm. I'd like to upgrade to an RPM 10 Carbon, but can't abide this one design flaw.

MikeFaulkner

Post by MikeFaulkner » 26 Apr 2019 07:36

I agree, it is a pretty poor way of adjusting the arm. I'm thinking of going down the DIY route. Looking at the device linked above has given me a couple of ideas, not for 'on the fly' but rather for easily getting the arm parallel to the platter and then tightening up the grub screws.