Replacing a Project 9cc t-bar tonearm rest

carboniferous
Post Reply
MamounaX
junior member
junior member
Posts: 9
Joined: 05 Nov 2015 06:55

Replacing a Project 9cc t-bar tonearm rest

Post by MamounaX » 23 Mar 2019 16:19

Hello all. I’m currently running a Project RPM 5.1 with the 9cc tonearm. Unfortunately the rubber strip on top of the t-bar tonearm rest has dried or lost its “sticky” properties and the tonearm slides off of it (the turntable is level). I purchased a replacement t-bar tonearm rest (part # 394-306-000). Before I unscrew the old t-bar from the tonearm mechanism and install the new one, are there any pitfalls I need to be aware of? Or is replacing the t-bar tonearm rest as simple as unscrewing the old one and inserting the new one?

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

AudioFeline
senior member
senior member
Australia
Posts: 506
Joined: 01 Feb 2016 11:05
Location: Melbourne, Australia.

Re: Replacing a Project 9cc t-bar tonearm rest

Post by AudioFeline » 24 Mar 2019 07:43

I'm not familiar with that tonearm, but it should be a matter of unscrewing one and replacing it.

Before you start: remove the headshell, or if you can't remove the headshell remove the styli. If it's a non-removable headhell and you can't remove the styli, use the stylus guard (if you have it) or make a stylus guard.

When you get the old t-bar off, try washing the rubber in soapy water to see if the sticky properties come back - they may have been lost with dust etc. sticking to it. If it works, you have a spare!

Rich2371
junior member
junior member
Posts: 10
Joined: 19 Apr 2013 17:54

Re: Replacing a Project 9cc t-bar tonearm rest

Post by Rich2371 » 27 Mar 2019 15:01

It just unscrews and lifts off from memory. It might be worth just wiping your old one and the underside of the tonearm where it makes contact with the T bar with tape head cleaning fluid , that cured mine.

MamounaX
junior member
junior member
Posts: 9
Joined: 05 Nov 2015 06:55

Re: Replacing a Project 9cc t-bar tonearm rest

Post by MamounaX » 28 Apr 2019 18:22

AudioFeline and Rich -- thanks for your replies. What happened was that some silicon (either from the Oracle Audio tonearm damping system or the arm lifter) got on the rubberized part of the t-bar. I cleaned the bottom of the tonearm where it made contact with the t-bar, and I removed the t-bar and scrubbed it endlessly in dish liquid and isopropyl alcohol. Finally, all is back to normal. Thanks again for your help.

AudioFeline
senior member
senior member
Australia
Posts: 506
Joined: 01 Feb 2016 11:05
Location: Melbourne, Australia.

Re: Replacing a Project 9cc t-bar tonearm rest

Post by AudioFeline » 29 Apr 2019 03:13

Good to hear all is well now.

Post Reply