Pro Ject Primary with Audio-Technica AT-VM95E

carboniferous
ranzoing

Pro Ject Primary with Audio-Technica AT-VM95E

Post by ranzoing » 07 Mar 2019 12:06

Hi Guys,
last year I got my Pro Ject Primary from Amazon wich comes with an ortofon om5e premounted and prealligned cartdrige.
I don't like how om5e sounds: it's so crappy, and provides a lot of distortion in the inner tracks wich i don't get to get rid of although it was perfectly alligned.

That's being said, after having read a lot of positive reviews about Audio-Technica AT-VM95E, i decided to give it a try and buy one.
It fits perfectly on tonearm: connecting cables, alligning and setting the right tracking force it's all you have to do to get the things done. This cartdrige, although cheap, provides a more precise sound and it's very good value for the money, needless to say you have a lot of options in upgrading the stylus itself with low budget.

I hope that sharing my experience will help someone.
Peace!

banerjba
long player
long player

Re: Pro Ject Primary with Audio-Technica AT-VM95E

Post by banerjba » 25 May 2019 04:55

Thanks for this - it is supposed to be a giant killer like the standard AT95e has been for 30 years. I need a new mm for my Clearaudio Concept and someone suggest the ATVM95e. I will probably try it.

By the way, I actually think the OM5e is a great budget cartridge but not suited to that arm - the OM10 stylus is actually a better choice for that very light arm. I use multiple Pro-ject tables among the fleet and the old school Debut and modern Essential have slightly heavier arms that are better suited to the OM5. I recently bought an Elipson turntable that came with the OM5 and that is also not a good fit - the OM10 I have on there is better and I will try the OM20 tips next.

That said, AT95 series will track great and have better tone. OM series is warmer and more lush - great for classical music.