Tone arm connectors on project arms.

carboniferous
Budddhacide

Tone arm connectors on project arms.

Post by Budddhacide » 15 Dec 2017 03:33

Hi all.This might seem trivial, but I'm wondering how dainty the connectors are on my Evo. I'm going to try to change cartridges soon, but last time I tried on my technics I mucked it up immediately. I'm nervous because there is no headshell so the wire goes through the arm, so if I break it it's going to be a major headache. Any thoughts on how to best go about it?

droidlike

Re: Tone arm connectors on project arms.

Post by droidlike » 15 Dec 2017 19:25

I'll start from this video at min 05:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQDa7suJn64

willboy

Post by willboy » 15 Dec 2017 21:37

Not trivial at all - those skinny little Pro-ject wires are a PITA to work with. I use the same method as the Mr Framer video. . I've seen some folk connect the wires prior to mounting the cartridge, which you might prefer, it ain't for me though. Only installed one cartridge to date in my recently acquired 2Xperience/9cc carbon. Had a RB300 previously. Obviously gripping the actual wire with a tweezers, which is what I use, would undoubtedly end up with a snapped wire, so I decided to go with those little black blobs of insulation being careful to grip them just firmly enough to do the job - it seemed to work ok. Try to make sure that you work from a comfortable position, which might mean you have to move your turntable from its rack or shelf. I take mine to my kitchen table where there's plenty of daylight and I can sit comfortably to do the job.

Good luck

Budddhacide

Post by Budddhacide » 15 Dec 2017 22:42

Ok, thanks. I'm glad I'm not over thinking it. It seems the engineering could be way better for these things.

willboy

Post by willboy » 16 Dec 2017 00:06

Try not to over think it too much...it is fiddly to do but ain't exactly on the same level as brain surgery. Will it give you more confidence if I tell you that I have pretty bad arthritis in both hands. That said, I do require a bit of assistance off my good wife, but that's more to do with the actual mounting of the cartridge

Budddhacide

Post by Budddhacide » 16 Dec 2017 01:48

Thanks All. I managed it. Managed to adjust the tonearm height too (slow clap). And I hear you willboy. For me it's lower back pain. I can only stand over the thing so much before I'm in a world of pain. Definitely doesn't Help the fine motor skills.:)

willboy

Post by willboy » 16 Dec 2017 02:57

Nice one! Sorry to hear about your back. Chronic pain ain't much fun is it. Three fingers on my deformed right hand are all but useless. Forefinger and thumb are not too bad though so ok for gripping tweezers and a small screwdriver. :)

Budddhacide

Post by Budddhacide » 16 Dec 2017 03:27

Thanks man. Back at you. Whatever, if I didn't hurt myself I probably wouldn't be as nuts for audio - which brings me so much joy (neurosis notwithstanding, lol). Cheers.

willboy

Post by willboy » 16 Dec 2017 09:28

Tell me about it! I used to be the active outdoor type but uncontrolled rheumatoid arthritis, which is a far worse disease than most folk think, put a stop to all that. Always liked my music, but have gone a little crazy about it since my mobility has gone downhill. Though not as mad as you by the look - that's some nice gear you have there. I bet it sounds wonderful with your new Dynavector... successfully installed I may add. :) If my old Castle speakers should ever give up the ghost then a pair of those Neat Motives would be on my shopping list though I suspect they might be a little too bright for my taste? The Harbeths would probably suit me better but are way out of my price range.

Budddhacide

Post by Budddhacide » 17 Dec 2017 06:17

My mother has has RA for her whole life. Not to be taken lightly. And thanks, I've been pretty thrifty. This is really the one area I spend money. Definitely hooked beyond common sense.

The NEATs are lovely. Not bright at all. In fact I wanted to buy their new flagship bookshelf with the double top tweeters, but I there was no hope of finding them used. Considering their size they are incredible. Not bright at all, and really good bass for their size. To be honest the upgrade to the Harbeths was a relatively marginal improvement. Better to be sure, but I bet NEAT's in the same price point would better them substantially. Audition some if you can, I cant say enough good things about them. Cheers!

willboy

Post by willboy » 17 Dec 2017 07:48

Thanks, that's good to know. I'm a big fan of nicely veneered small standmounts and will definitely have a serious look at those NEATs when the time arrives.

Nice talking with you.

Budddhacide

Post by Budddhacide » 18 Dec 2017 01:07

You too! Thanks again for your Help.