Debut Carbon DC with Acryl-It + Ortofon 2M Bronze?

carboniferous
willwill

Debut Carbon DC with Acryl-It + Ortofon 2M Bronze?

Post by willwill » 08 Dec 2017 14:06

Upgrading a cart is not an easy piece... Now I have OM 20 but I think my system could benefit from new cart.

They say that 2M cart is designed for Rega and Pro-Ject arms. Or Pro-Ject Arm is made for 2M carts. So probably it is a good match.

But I also have acryl platter and it changes VTA slightly. It is said that fine line styluses are sensitive for VTA. Will it be a problem? I don't have original steel platter any more.

And the electronics. 2M differs from OM electronically. I think I have little too low mids but will it be better or worse? Some had said that OM (regular OM, not Super) is not good match with regular phono pre-amp with no adjustments. Funny thing is that Pro-Ject does not give any riaa specs on Pre Box DS2 Digital: http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?p ... es&lang=en. Henley, could you help me?

But just thinking. Propably I buy it anyway. Another options is to buy OM30 stylus but Bronze just looks cooler...

Henley
Great Britain

Re: Debut Carbon DC with Acryl-It + Ortofon 2M Bronze?

Post by Henley » 14 Dec 2017 15:55

The problem will be identical to the one you have now as the ride height for an OM series is the same as the 2M series. It will mean a slight loss of high end detail but if you're happy with current performance, there is no reason why you would not be happier with a 2M.

Regarding phono pre-amp incompatibility, absolute tosh! They will all work fine with any MM pre-amp.

I would very much doubt that you would have cause for regret if you upgraded.

Doc Diego

Post by Doc Diego » 14 Dec 2017 19:02

VTA on the Pro-ject tonearm is adjustable so changing cartridges and an acrylic platter shouldn’t be a problem.
My OM40 has a very flat frequency response and continues to sound very musical even after 20+ years.

Henley
Great Britain

Post by Henley » 15 Dec 2017 10:50

Doc Diego wrote:VTA on the Pro-ject tonearm is adjustable so changing cartridges and an acrylic platter shouldn’t be a problem.
My OM40 has a very flat frequency response and continues to sound very musical even after 20+ years.
No it is not. The Debut carbon arm (and models below) have no VTA adjustment. Only the Xpression, RPM1 and above have this facility.

willwill

Post by willwill » 05 Jan 2018 15:26

Any idea why acrylic platter is thicker? Thinner would be flimsy?

I put my OM 20 for sale. Hope getting the Bronze next week.

willwill

Post by willwill » 09 Jan 2018 08:14

And ordered. Propably I'll get it on thursday...

willwill

Post by willwill » 18 Jan 2018 10:00

And here it is... https://www.instagram.com/p/Bd-vlgiAYoz ... =willboify

Color fits nicely my curtains.

At first it did not blow my mind. OM 20 was also already quite good. Bronzw has more detail and inner tracks sound better I think.

I have been playing records all the week and at saturday I'll re-check all settings when I get back my digital scale and Ortofon protractor. Now I used printed protractor and scale suplied with cart.

gonzoflick
United States of America

Post by gonzoflick » 28 Nov 2018 03:11

How do you like the bronze now? I just put one on my debut carbon. It sounds a little flat at the moment so hoping it will break in with a fuller sound soon.

Henley
Great Britain

Post by Henley » 28 Nov 2018 08:49

gonzoflick wrote:
28 Nov 2018 03:11
How do you like the bronze now? I just put one on my debut carbon. It sounds a little flat at the moment so hoping it will break in with a fuller sound soon.
Give it about 20 hours to run in, everything should loosen up and be more fluid.

gonzoflick
United States of America

Post by gonzoflick » 28 Nov 2018 12:39

What did u use for alignment? I used Conrad Hoffman arc protractor.

willwill

Post by willwill » 09 Jan 2019 19:36

Mine sounds pretty sweet. Vocals felt little bit distant but I put some acoustic panels to ceiling and now it is good. Vocals never bothered me in digital sources. Funny.

I use this protractor: https://www.ortofon.com/protractor-p-452

I am quite happy at the moment. Power cable was too short so I had to make a new one. Maybe all show no go but it looks nice! https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nweofxu4d14z ... qsU5a?dl=0

Bubbawat
United States of America

Post by Bubbawat » 14 Dec 2019 16:14

I am a new member, but browsing this board helped me make my decision so thought I would share my experience. I recently upgraded from a 2m blue to a 2m bronze on a debut carbon esprit sb with the acrylic platter. The 2m blue vs my friends 2m red was noticable, especially on bass clarity and extension. Lots of chatter out there talking about the blue being as good as the tt deserves. Some chatter about not sure the difference is worth it. I am a critical listener with horns for high and mid and a quality sub to get extension below 80 hz.

First to the two detracting comments - this turntable shines even more with the bronze and it is noticable greater extension and clarity through all frequencies. Very little to distract from the music. The negatives that it is too clear (CD like) is now viewed as a compliment. Excellent change. Clearly no height issues with cart. Yay....

Install easy since replacing same size cart. Marked the screw heads with tape and make fine adjustments using the Ortofon protractor. I really think this is an outstanding and easy change. May be at the end of upgrade to this tt which is very cool by me.