the home of the turntable

HOMC upgrade.

carboniferous

HOMC upgrade.

Postby Budddhacide » 27 Nov 2017 23:55

Hi all. I posted a similar thread in another forum but it didn't get much traction. I just want to know which HOMC carts are good fits for the 9cc Evo arm. I had been thinking about a dynavector but another member basically said it's too high end a cart for my arm, and may not be well suited anyway due to the arms mass. I'd love second opinion on that, but also would like to know which HOMC carts work well and would provide a sense of upgrading from my 2m black. Thanks.
Pro-ject 6perspex, 2m black, dynavector 20x2
Little bear t10, bugle 2, AR PH6
Neat Motive SX3, Harbeth SHL5
Rogue Cronus Magnum v1 amp
Klipsch Sub-10
Akai 635 RTR, NAD M51 DAC, Furman 15pfi
Budddhacide

Canada

Re: HOMC upgrade.

Postby readargos » 28 Nov 2017 18:24

Since you are looking for a HOMC, I will presume you're looking at carts in the $1,000 range, as most of the HOMC tend to be more entry-level MC for users who don't have a sufficiently high-gain, low noise phonostage or step-up transformer, and are looking to get into the MC sound while minimizing the associated costs that a LOMC can bring.

The Hana cartridges are quite popular right now. You can get their high output shibata stylus for about the same price as the 2M Black. I believe there are reviews in The Absolute Sound, Analog Planet, and TNT Audio. From what I have read, the Hana carts emphasize subtlety and finesse, with a slight warmth.

Since Sumiko is the U.S. importer for Pro-Ject, a lot of their 'tables are sold with Sumiko carts for the Super Pack option in the States. Their Blackbird received great reviews, and was said to provide most of the advantages of pricier MCs while being more suitable as a daily driver (because of it's more affordable cost). From what I have read, the Blackbird is a fairly neutral cartridge with large soundstaging and prodigious bass and macrodynamic swagger. Given the Blackbird came out over 10 years ago, it has fallen off a lot of the recommended component lists in the magazines. (It was reviewed by Michael Fremer way back in 2004 and was Stereophile Class B.) You get a boron cantilever with the Blackbird. Unfortunately, the price of boron has gone up in recent years, so the Blackbird has crept up in price to over $1,000 (U.S.). However, many dealers will give you a trade-in credit if you have another Sumiko cartridge that you're upgrading.

Sumiko also has the Blue Point Evo III, but it's probably not better than the 2M Black.

A final consideration is a HOMI cartridge, like those from Soundsmith. The Soundsmith Carmen is the only one of the cartridges I'm suggesting that I've actually owned. It tended toward subtlety, finesse, and inner detail. I found it slightly too laid back and/or polite for my preference, but a lot of audiophiles like this type of sound, and it is currently Class B Stereophile Recommended cart (reviewed by Herb Reichert). It did a wonderful job, for instance, of making Dylan vocals intelligible.

My impression of Dynavector (I have never owned one, so this is mostly from reading reviews and forums), is they have that rare combination of transparency, richness, dynamics, and detail (kind of like Cardas' Golden Reference cable line). It may require weighting the headshell to get the tonearm effective mass in the ballpark for a more medium-compliance cartridge. My RPM 10.1 comes with a headshell weight, but you can pick them up cheaply from places like LP Gear if you need to buy one. I wouldn't think the Dyna carts in your price range (the 20X2L or the 10X5) would be too much cartridge for the 9cc EVO. I previously owned the RPM 9.2, and it is a very nice tonearm. It may max out the overall limits of your turntable, but I don't think it would be too much. The Dyna carts are very popular with the Rega RB series of 'arms (and on Rega 'tables in general), but the RB 'arms do have slightly higher effective mass than the 9cc.

Let us know what you decide, and how it works out for you.
Pro-Ject RPM 10.1, Ortofon 2M Black; Rega P25-24V+TTPSU, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Michell Technoarm, Isokinetic Sub 2, GT Acrylic Platter; Musical Fidelity kW Phono, A308cr Pre-, Power & CD; Cardas Golden Ref Phono, IC, & Speaker, Cross PCs; JMlab Electra 915; M&K 700 MX
readargos

United States of America

Postby Budddhacide » 30 Nov 2017 03:09

Thanks so much for this reply. The table actually came with various weights for the headshell. Probably for this Reason. I have considered the sumiko, but at the same time I have been watching its price almost double. I wish I had the option to bundle one but didn't. I will look at hana. I've not heard of them. But I do appreciate the reassurance on the dynavector, because I am drawn to it. Cheers!
Klipsch Sub-10
Budddhacide

Canada

Postby readargos » 30 Nov 2017 17:00

I'm leaning toward the Blackbird myself (the new low output version) because I think it will work with my listening priorities and system, and those who have bought the 10.1 Superpack with the Blackbird tend to like it. I also have a Blue Point No.2 that I can trade in (which is a more entry-level HOMC, but definitely not as good as the Ortofon 2M Black or Bronze or Soundsmith Carmen.)

The Hana line are very hot cartridges currently because of the price-to-performance ratio. Out of Japan, they make OEM carts for other manufacturers, and decided to introduce their own line. A few guys in the Rega forum have one. (I also spend time there, since I have both Rega and Pro-Ject 'tables.)

Glad to know the tonearm on the 6Perspex has the headhsell weights. I wasn't sure if Pro-Ject did that for their more mid-level 'tables. Pro-Ject is a lot of bang for the buck.

I'm curious about the Dyna carts, too, especially since they have long been a popular pairing with Rega 'tables. Their 17D3 is another cart that, like the Blackbird, is supposed to provide a heaping helping of MC goodness at more real world pricing.
Pro-Ject RPM 10.1, Ortofon 2M Black; Rega P25-24V+TTPSU, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Michell Technoarm, Isokinetic Sub 2, GT Acrylic Platter; Musical Fidelity kW Phono, A308cr Pre-, Power & CD; Cardas Golden Ref Phono, IC, & Speaker, Cross PCs; JMlab Electra 915; M&K 700 MX
readargos

United States of America

Postby willboy » 30 Nov 2017 19:24

A 1.5g headshell weight was supplied with my 2Xperience Classic, which was needed to balance my Hana EH in the 9cc arm. Probably helps with compliance as well. Combo sounds very good indeed partnered with a Pro-ject Speed Box S and a neutral phono stage in the form of a Rothwell Simplex MM.
Pro-Ject 2Xperience Classic, Hana EH, Pro-Ject Speed Box S, Rothwell Simplex, Kenwood 3020SE, Castle Richmond 3i.
willboy

Postby Budddhacide » 01 Dec 2017 03:58

Well I came across a sale on the dynavector for a grand Canadian.could Help buying it. That's like +20% off.

So looks like I bet o try anyway. So can I ask,the purpose of the weight is to increase compliance by raising the weight of the arm+cart? If someone could tell me what I'm doing and why.
(Talk to like me like child, lol)
Klipsch Sub-10
Budddhacide

Canada

Postby willboy » 01 Dec 2017 11:52

I was in a similar quandary with the Hana EH not so long ago and was advised to have a read of the attached gcaudio link. I don't know how to attache the vinyl engine cartridge resonance evaluator, but you will find it in the 'Tools' section. Just enter your tonearm's effective mass, which I believe is 8.5g, to find out the suitable compliance. The gcaudio link will explain things a lot better than I can.

Looks like your Dynavector 20x is border line, so a 2g headshell weight, if you have one, should be fine and bring it more into the green zone.

https://www.gcaudio.com/tips-tricks/ton ... mit=Submit
Pro-Ject 2Xperience Classic, Hana EH, Pro-Ject Speed Box S, Rothwell Simplex, Kenwood 3020SE, Castle Richmond 3i.
willboy

Postby willboy » 01 Dec 2017 13:46

Probably won't make much difference, but I forgot to include the weight of the cartridge nuts 'n bolts so a 1.5g weight might be preferable to 2.0g
willboy

Postby gofar99 » 01 Dec 2017 22:30

Hi, I used a DV10X5 in one a while back. Nice. Great sound and tracking. Easy to mount as well.
Good Listening, Bruce
DIY Custom Direct Drive,Jelco,AT33PTG/II,Hana EL
Empire 598,Origin Live,DynaVector Karat 23RS-MR,Grado Woodie
Sota,Jelco, Benz MC Gold
Transcriptor Saturn,Vestigial Arm,ADC XLM
gofar99
contributor

United States of America

Postby Budddhacide » 01 Dec 2017 23:26

Thanks to both of you. willboy I spent the day studying the link you posted and calculator. Ivedone this before and have the hi fi test record. I didn't have as thorough an understanding as Ido now though. Ishould be ok with a weight. I also have the fluid damper so Il post back when I get it and manage to set it up.
Klipsch Sub-10
Budddhacide

Canada

Postby Budddhacide » 16 Dec 2017 01:51

Sorry to be posting in multiple threads. I just want
To confirm that the dyna is installed. I used a 1.5g headshell weight and the resonance (using the HiFi news record) is perfect. Didn't take long to get it tracking right and I'm on my first few albums now. It's quite a cartridge.
Klipsch Sub-10
Budddhacide

Canada

Postby readargos » 18 Dec 2017 23:36

Thanks for posting back and letting us know how things have worked out for you!
readargos

United States of America

Postby Budddhacide » 19 Dec 2017 01:46

Who else would care? Lol?
Klipsch Sub-10
Budddhacide