CX - another forgotten vinyl format

Postby philmch » 19 Oct 2017 14:35

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5XCvsNUkmI

Old it might be but it's news to me. :?
philmch

United Kingdom

Re: CX - another forgotten vinyl format

Postby mrw00ds » 20 Oct 2017 08:33

Fascinating, as are all of Techmoan's videos! Funny that, as CX was partly dreamed up to hold back the march of the CD, today CD is effectively a dying medium and vinyl is still going strong :lol:
Pro-ject "The Classic" TT / Funk Firm Achromat / Denon DL110 / Arcam rPhono pre-amp / Cambridge Audio 851c CD player / Sony TA-FB 940r amplifier / Monitor Audio Bronze BX5 speakers / Chord interconnects / Audio Quest Type 2 speaker cables
mrw00ds

Postby JDJX » 21 Oct 2017 16:47

Yeah, CDs were pushed onto the public by the bean counters.

Also, from what I remember, most (if not all) of the encoding systems for reducing vinyl noise) exhibited what what was called a "pumping sound" (to one extent or another) as the system struggled to decode and eliminate the unwanted sound. It was always a bit of a trade off that the purists rejected.

Perhaps, if it were to be introduced today, with modern digital technology, it would be more successful.
*Thorens 165 with M97xE
*Lounge Audio phono pre
*NAD C-350 amp
JDJX
long player
long player

Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

United States of America

Postby philbrown » 21 Oct 2017 21:37

There were dbx encoded records as well.
Phil Brown
philbrown

Postby james73_2008 » 21 Oct 2017 22:32

philbrown wrote:There were dbx encoded records as well.
Phil Brown

Yes. Techmoan already did a video about them way before his one about CX records.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qtxPSR8q98

James H
AT450E / Audio Origami RB250 / Michell Technoweight / Rega Planar 3 / PEEK Bearing / GT Ref Sub-Platter & White Delrin Platter / OL DC-Kit Mk12 PCB / Premotec 9904-120-18105 3W Motor / Maplin 9V 3.2A AC-AC PSU / M.Lim Motor Isolation Base / Creek OBH-8 MM & OBH-2 PSU / Glaschu, Alba.
james73_2008
contributor

Scotland

Postby Vinylfreak86 » 22 Oct 2017 08:59

CD is dead, but with vinyl I don`t think they will invent something like dbx, cx or quadraphonic again. This was all marketing steps to buy new turntables and records,but weren`t economically successful. CD was economically a huge success, but now the party is over. Compact disc opened the doors of digital music playback, so the invention became the victim of own revolution. And old relict vinyl record came back.
Vinylfreak86

Slovenia

Postby mrw00ds » 22 Oct 2017 13:22

Vinylfreak86 wrote:CD is dead, but with vinyl I don`t think they will invent something like dbx, cx or quadraphonic again.

No, and I think playback from modern cartridges and turntables is so good these days it's not needed. More people have RCMs now so surface noise is less of a problem. With my current set-up dynamic range is already impressive without any enccoding systems, as is the lack of surface noise. We've come a long way.

Quadraphonic listening for music has never really caught on, in the same way that 3D films and video haven't, though they keep trying to reinvent it every few decades!
Pro-ject "The Classic" TT / Funk Firm Achromat / Denon DL110 / Arcam rPhono pre-amp / Cambridge Audio 851c CD player / Sony TA-FB 940r amplifier / Monitor Audio Bronze BX5 speakers / Chord interconnects / Audio Quest Type 2 speaker cables
mrw00ds

Postby plyscds » 22 Oct 2017 17:20

On certain fronts we seem to feel quite secure in the future of the vinyl format. But when you factor in the shrinking number of good gear repair sites, the fact that most retail stores are more interested in selling clothes, bedclothes, and curtains instead of vinyl related products, the fact that former music centered stores are now more interested in selling t-shirts, cheap DVDs and drone kits, and the fact that most new cars are only equipped to play virtual music which comes from subscription services or downloads stored on thumb drives, I see a much less rosy future for any physical music playback system. I never see anyone carrying records or CDs to the cash registers in stores that still carry those selections. They've even stopped carrying Crosley products. CD collections left in stores are pitifully bereft of variety, and you have to look carefully to find a new receiver with a built in phono preamp, much less a tape monitor loop.
plyscds
contributor

United States of America

Postby Vinylfreak86 » 22 Oct 2017 19:19

plyscds wrote: I never see anyone carrying records or CDs to the cash registers in stores that still carry those selections. They've even stopped carrying Crosley products. CD collections left in stores are pitifully bereft of variety,

That is because of webshopping. Majority of people buy vinyl on internet, it is more easy to get what you want. I also bought all hifi components on the web, because I got what I want and it was cheaper like in local store.

plyscds wrote:and you have to look carefully to find a new receiver with a built in phono preamp, much less a tape monitor loop.

That is not reality. Actually all of new japanese amplifiers have built-in phono stage also on entry level. A few years ago reality was different, that is why there are a lot of cheap phono preamps still on the market. I see also otputs for tape recording on majority of them.
Vinylfreak86

Slovenia

Postby Nigel Gomez » 23 Oct 2017 16:37

Vinylfreak86 wrote:CD is dead, but with vinyl I don`t think they will invent something like dbx, cx or quadraphonic again. This was all marketing steps to buy new turntables and records,but weren`t economically successful. CD was economically a huge success, but now the party is over. Compact disc opened the doors of digital music playback, so the invention became the victim of own revolution. And old relict vinyl record came back.

You have been saying "CD is Dead" for a while.Yet I can find almost anything on CD on Amazon and E bay to this day.It is not dead.I think you want it to be dead though because you blame CD's for the near death of vinyl back in the day.It is easier to get something on CD and for much cheaper than vinyl these days.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/featu ... d-20160204

https://www.amazon.com/New-Future-Relea ... ode=465672
Man Cave:Pro Ject Xpression Carbon Classic/Ortofon 2M BLUE/Pro Ject Phonobox S/Audioengine A5+ Bookshelf Speakers/Audioengine S8 Subwoofer
Living Room: Technics SL 210/ M55E(JICO stylus)/Fisher RS 616 Receiver/TEAC V66C Cassette Deck/Onkyo C 7030 CD Player/Soma three way Floor speakers
Nigel Gomez

Trinidad Tobago

Postby philbrown » 25 Oct 2017 17:02

[quote="JDJX"]Yeah, CDs were pushed onto the public by the bean counters.

Actually, not. The format was pushed by Norio Ohga, so he could have uninterrupted classical recordings. And the maximum recording recording time was keyed to a symphony he liked, 82 minutes or so. The bean counters arrived later.
Phil Brown
philbrown

Postby JoeE SP9 » 25 Oct 2017 18:48

philbrown wrote:
JDJX wrote:Yeah, CDs were pushed onto the public by the bean counters.

Actually, not. The format was pushed by Norio Ohga, so he could have uninterrupted classical recordings. And the maximum recording recording time was keyed to a symphony he liked, 82 minutes or so. The bean counters arrived later.
Phil Brown

IIRC the CD was made with long enough play time to hold a specific recording of Beethoven's 9th.
ARC SP9, HW19, RB300, Sumiko Blackbird: Front: Magnepan 1.7, 2 x 12" TL subs 2 bridged Crown XLS 402, 2 modified Dyna MK-III's. DBX-223XS, Behringer DSP1124P, rear: Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX-2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545
JoeE SP9
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby ham-shack » 05 Nov 2017 23:21

All my discs are CX encoded..... LaserDisc that is. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
ham-shack

United States of America

Postby JoeE SP9 » 06 Nov 2017 19:12

Am I the only one who remembers how much a single CD cost back then? IIRC the cost was >$25. The Sony CDP-101 IME sounded awful. It had high frequencies that made me want to cut off my ears and run away.
ARC SP9, HW19, RB300, Sumiko Blackbird: Front: Magnepan 1.7, 2 x 12" TL subs 2 bridged Crown XLS 402, 2 modified Dyna MK-III's. DBX-223XS, Behringer DSP1124P, rear: Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX-2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545
JoeE SP9
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby philbrown » 06 Nov 2017 22:46

JoeE SP9 wrote:Am I the only one who remembers how much a single CD cost back then? IIRC the cost was >$25. The Sony CDP-101 IME sounded awful. It had high frequencies that made me want to cut off my ears and run away.

COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY OFF TOPIC: The first CD players used one DtoA converter and switched it back and forth between channels. This resulted in phase errors that could do just what you heard. Or something else. That's the problem with phase errors: unpredictability:
Plus the first of anything isn't perfect. Remember the first transistor amps?
Phil Brown
philbrown

Return to Music and Records