the home of the turntable

is there a thread for us to post our own album reviews?

name that tune

is there a thread for us to post our own album reviews?

Postby Tonya James » 17 Oct 2017 06:52

Hey Guys, I've had a bit of a look for a list of your album reviews. Is there one? Can someone please link me?

I'm having a crack at it, would like to know if there's any interest to start one.
Tonya James

Australia

Re: is there a thread for us to post our own album reviews?

Postby vinyl master » 17 Oct 2017 08:08

Hey Tony...

There was this thread here...

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=80960

Check this one out, too...

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=88215

Here's another great thread, although currently locked...

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=18329&start=135

You could start another one, if you like, Tony...I'd be down to add to it from time to time...I'm sure there are others who would probably do so, too...
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Postby Tonya James » 17 Oct 2017 09:48

Thanks Tony. Had a look at the links. My taste is not quite as mature and sophisticated as you guys. Will probably start one up relating to Heavier material. Although, I don't see a lot of personal album reviews. Maybe not enough interest. Can you recommend any other forums I could check out?

I've really enjoyed the weekend. It's wet here, so I've had a few days to devote my time. I'm listening and hearing again, it's absorbing, and I love to find and share new music.
Tonya James

Australia

Postby Tonya James » 17 Oct 2017 10:26

I do have a history with Uriah Heep, Sabbath, Purple, Zeppelin, Budgie, Mountain and the like. I can add to that thread. Thanks again.
Tonya James

Australia

Postby Veggie Boy » 17 Oct 2017 13:11

You might want to contribute to this thread:

Your Top Three Recommended Vinyl Albums
Veggie Boy

Canada

Postby Tonya James » 18 Oct 2017 11:42

Thanks Veggie Boy, Will definitely check that link.
Tonya James

Australia

Postby RockerFrank » 19 Oct 2017 08:20

Hey VM and VB, you know, a review is not necessarily a recommendation. Reviews are supposed to be critical and bring out both positive and negative aspects.
RockerFrank

Finland

Postby vinyl master » 19 Oct 2017 10:39

RockerFrank wrote:Hey VM and VB, you know, a review is not necessarily a recommendation. Reviews are supposed to be critical and bring out both positive and negative aspects.

Of course, in that "Top 3 Albums thread"...

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=98557

...we do go into detail a bit more about WHY we like our chosen picks...And of course, they wouldn't be in our "Top 3", if we didn't like them...I'm sure we could nitpick about a few negatives here and there, but overall, at least on my end, they are the albums that are the least objectionable to me...Ones I can listen to over and over and never grow tired of...I was talking about ORIGINAL pressings, too...If I started to delve into reissues, remastered versions, etc., the same critique might change, with some added warnings and/or praises regarding the sound...Maybe if they changed the artwork, the track order or some songs were missing, I might be slightly upset...

It's one thing to recommend a list of albums we like...It's another to pinpoint WHY we like them...
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Postby Tonya James » 19 Oct 2017 11:19

RockerFrank wrote:Hey VM and VB, you know, a review is not necessarily a recommendation. Reviews are supposed to be critical and bring out both positive and negative aspects.

G'day RockerFrank. Thanks for the input man. I have realised that I'm in way over my depth with you guys. Not only on a technical side, but also about sound quality. I grew up with vinyl on my parent's decent system. When I listen to music, I like good sound. Full and clear. I know quite and loud vinyl. But, that's about it.

Thankfully, I made an enquiry before I let rip.

You're right man. 'Recommendation' is the right word. I'm no expert, historian, musician or journalist. A review should be critical and objective.

I have missed a lot over the last few years, when I let vinyl slip from my life. It's an absolute joy to experience it again. I go to bed and wake up thinking about music and my records, although I don't strictly listen to vinyl.

I'm now on the hunt again, and my eagerness nearly got the better of me. I've really been thinking about the music I listen to, and I thought I could share that. I'm hooked on this forum and don't mind writing a line or two.

I write about albums I listen to without going too much into the artist profile. I have let personal opinions about bands stand in the way of the music. An example is the new Sepultura 'Machine Messiah'. It's common opinion that they lost the plot. This album kicks ass.

Again, Thanks Man.

Respect, Tony
Tonya James

Australia

Postby RockerFrank » 19 Oct 2017 13:59

G'day Tonya! I'm definitely interested in all kinds of reviews and recommendations. Especially on the Sepultura album and the Fantomas movie themes album which you mentioned elsewhere. I saw Mike Patton live with FNM in '95, he's a great singer. I also saw Sepultura in '96. Like many others I lost track of the band after the line up changes. Glad to hear they're succeeding again.

VM, just to clarify, I didn't mean that recommendations should contain criticism, I just meant that a review thread could serve a different purpose. It would be interesting to read also opinions about albums that are not our faves.

I've often stumbled upon a site called Metal Archives where users write their own reviews on metal albums. I've never tried writing a music review myself. I have tried writing a few movie reviews but they didn't turn out very good.
RockerFrank

Finland

Postby Tonya James » 20 Oct 2017 09:35

Hey RockerFrank.

I was a too enthusiastic with my idea to write about albums. I should do a little research before I jump in, and some practice wouldn't hurt either.

I have really enjoyed writing here, everyone has been very welcoming. But, I should wander in slowly, not kick the door down. I am practicing, I've done a couple on Word processor, including The Director's Cut. Rather than get laughed at, I should do some work first to make it something I can be proud of.

The Seputura album is a great listen. I've only played it twice. Another listen tonight, flac format. If I don't get into an album on the first listen, it's a good sign for me. My first listen was split in two, my second was in full. The second listen was very enjoyable.

Unfortunately I have not seen either. I wouldn't be surprised if Sepultura tour big with this one. I will check Metal Archives as well.

Thanks again.

Stay in touch man, sounds like you know what you're talking about.

Tony. Tonya was a typo that I couldn't repair.
Tonya James

Australia

Postby Tonya James » 20 Oct 2017 22:48

RockerFrank wrote:G'day Tonya! I'm definitely interested in all kinds of reviews and recommendations.

G'day RockerFrank,

I'm still finding my way around, learning how to post properly so people get notified when I write them.

I replied to you without a quote, maybe you could check the post thread again.

Thanks man....
Tonya James

Australia

Postby RockerFrank » 21 Oct 2017 07:40

Tony, I did notice your post. I totally get it, writing good reviews is not easy. Plenty of lousy ones in official magazines, too.

Don't worry about quoting, I don't have any notifications turned on anyway.
RockerFrank

Finland

Return to Music and Records