the home of the turntable

What are these splotches on this record?

name that tune

What are these splotches on this record?

Postby ralphrexfan » 11 Oct 2017 06:15

At first I thought it was mold, but it doesn't come off when cleaned. I have never seen anything like this before. It's a double LP, and each record has these splotches on one side.
Clearaudio Concept MM
Pro-Ject Phono Box S
NAD C375BEE
B&W 685 S2
ralphrexfan

United States of America

Re: What are these splotches on this record?

Postby cafe latte » 11 Oct 2017 07:34

It is probably a reaction between the inner sleeve and the vinyl of the record. some inner sleeves made out of that stretchy plastic bag type plastic react with the record.
Chris
cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

Australia

Postby DL110luvr » 11 Oct 2017 08:40

Looks like the condition my 2 Pugs would leave it in....after they "examined" (read: tasted/licked/drooled on) it!!
Seriously, I tend to agree with cafe latte....Can you still play the disc? Is there noticeable surface noise?
DL110luvr

United States of America

Postby ralphrexfan » 11 Oct 2017 09:36

The record in question is Eostre by Zoviet France. The outer sleeve is folded silk-paper, and the inner sleeve, which I presume was originally in contact with the discs is made out of latex. Though I can't picture how the records could be placed so that one side of each disc would be I contact with the latex unless the discs were directly in contact with each other.

I noticed that one of the descriptions for another copy up for sale mentioned that one side of each disc had mold on it. Perhaps he was mistaken and sees what I see. He did say sound was affected. I briefly played the affected sides and one side had sibilant surface noise that I wasn't sure was correlated with the splotches. The other side sounded fine. I only played each side for a few minutes because I was anxious to get an opinion.

So it's probably not something to worry about?
Clearaudio Concept MM
Pro-Ject Phono Box S
NAD C375BEE
B&W 685 S2
ralphrexfan

United States of America

Postby cafe latte » 12 Oct 2017 00:09

ralphrexfan wrote:The record in question is Eostre by Zoviet France. The outer sleeve is folded silk-paper, and the inner sleeve, which I presume was originally in contact with the discs is made out of latex. Though I can't picture how the records could be placed so that one side of each disc would be I contact with the latex unless the discs were directly in contact with each other.

I noticed that one of the descriptions for another copy up for sale mentioned that one side of each disc had mold on it. Perhaps he was mistaken and sees what I see. He did say sound was affected. I briefly played the affected sides and one side had sibilant surface noise that I wasn't sure was correlated with the splotches. The other side sounded fine. I only played each side for a few minutes because I was anxious to get an opinion.

So it's probably not something to worry about?

Well it wont sound good as you found out and it is not removable either. You really only have half a record if the other side is fine.
Just to be sure it is a reaction fill sink with warm water and dishwash and dip edge of record in the sink trying to keep label out of the water as much as possible. Not that important as most labels are fine to get a bit wet. Get a record anti static brush and in a circular motion brush in the water back and forth following the grooves. If you have some add isopropyl alcohol to the water and give record a good cleaning in this fashion. Next rinse under tap and lastly spray with distilled water to remove any minerals from the tap water and put it somewhere standing on its edge to dry. You can help it along drying carefully with a lens cloth. Lastly if the clean works put the record in a new inner sleeve.
Chris
cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

Australia

Postby Vinylfreak86 » 13 Oct 2017 09:12

I have some new records with this problem, all of them were made in UK. It doesn`t affect the sound, but record doesn`t look so good like it have to be for my money. Maybe they didn`t dry records enough before putting them in sleeves.
Vinylfreak86

Slovenia

Postby MonkeyBoy » 15 Oct 2017 02:23

Do you have any idea how long the latex inner sleeve was in contact with the record? How old is the pressing? Latex apparently only lasts a few years before it starts to break down chemically. Latex is a very strange material to use for housing a record. I wonder why it was chosen.
Music isn't an escape from life, it's one of the reasons to be alive in the first place!
MonkeyBoy
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby ralphrexfan » 20 Oct 2017 03:21

MonkeyBoy wrote:Do you have any idea how long the latex inner sleeve was in contact with the record? How old is the pressing? Latex apparently only lasts a few years before it starts to break down chemically. Latex is a very strange material to use for housing a record. I wonder why it was chosen.

The record is from 1984, but the records were in paper sleeves when I got it, so I don't know how long they were in contact with the latex.

ZOviet France used lots of unusual packaging. Just check out their catalogue on discogs. They clearly miscalculated on this particular record. The affected sides sound like they have a film on it producing a rough, sibilant sound.
Clearaudio Concept MM
Pro-Ject Phono Box S
NAD C375BEE
B&W 685 S2
ralphrexfan

United States of America

Postby cafe latte » 20 Oct 2017 04:14

ralphrexfan wrote:
MonkeyBoy wrote:Do you have any idea how long the latex inner sleeve was in contact with the record? How old is the pressing? Latex apparently only lasts a few years before it starts to break down chemically. Latex is a very strange material to use for housing a record. I wonder why it was chosen.

The record is from 1984, but the records were in paper sleeves when I got it, so I don't know how long they were in contact with the latex.

ZOviet France used lots of unusual packaging. Just check out their catalogue on discogs. They clearly miscalculated on this particular record. The affected sides sound like they have a film on it producing a rough, sibilant sound.

Have you tried cleaning it off with alcohol?
Chris
cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

Australia

Return to Music and Records