Budget record collecting

name that tune
vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Re: Budget record collecting

Post by vinyl master » 27 Nov 2017 17:09

billshurv wrote:I stopped listening to Youtube advice on stuff like this a long time ago. You appear to use it as a substitute for doing your own research. You also seem to forget that there is a world outside of the USA. In the UK we don't have yard sales, but we have the strange world of the car boot sale. Records there are 97% junk, both content and condition but as I found when someone threw about 500 away there are some jewels to be found.

There is a definate ecosystem now at least here. Charity shops are wise to ebay and prices are high compared to 10 years ago.
Well, it would make sense that the guy is from the U.S....Maybe they need something like this from a British standpoint? :-k Of course, I don't use YouTube as a substitute for research, but actually as a COMPLEMENT to what I already know...If I'm not willing to open my eyes to other people's vinyl experiences, I might miss out on some good ideas...I was recently reading about the guy who invented Amazon's newest sensation, the Instant Pot, a combination pressure cooker-slow cooker...The inventor trolls the comments/reviews section looking for the worst reviews and honest criticisms more than genuine accolades and praises because it's the criticisms that allow him to perfect the next generation of his product, in essence, to make it better! So, it's all in how you look at things...

There must be good pressings in Britain, as it is the Brits who helped keep vinyl alive and literally, the careers of many early singers who couldn't catch a break here in the States...For instance, the Brits go crazy over the Northern Soul stars, many of which would sadly go unnoticed in Detroit, but not to the Brits! What's sad is that I read this article recently about a large group of Brits who traveled to Detroit recently just to visit the Motown Museum and see the history...The history AND city WE here take for granted and have overlooked, those same Brits have been waiting MONTHS, even YEARS to see! :shock:

http://www.freep.com/story/entertainmen ... 785977001/

In any case, you guys do have car boot sales, but also charity shops, antique shops, record shops, record fairs and the like...Do they sell vinyl in the bookstores over there, too? :-k There are some who even say that the British pressings of certain albums and singles are superior to the same U.S. versions! Sure, you might be paying a bit more, but what about the quality of the records? :-k

You get what you pay for, as they say...

Anyway, a few more things to think about and consider... :-k

E41877
United States of America

Post by E41877 » 27 Nov 2017 18:41

I picked up another budget record collection win a couple of weeks ago. I was at a yard sale looking at some "junk" records, when an nice elderly woman walked up to me and asked me if I wanted her old Jazz record collection. I said sure and I followed her to her home which was a couple of blocks away. She pulled out almost 200 old Jazz, Soul and Gospel lps. She said she didn't want them anymore. I don't know much about these as I'm a collector of all things Rock, but they appeared to be old (1950's-70's) pressings and most in great condition. I asked her much she wanted for all and she said I could have them for free if I just hauled them off. I felt bad and gave her $20, which was all I had in my wallet at that time, but she was happy with it. I haven't had the time to look up the values in all of these yet, but I think I may have hit the jackpot with just a few that I have researched. Some of these appear to be highly sought after pressings and worth a lot of coin. Notable artists include John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Dave Brubeck and others.
Last edited by E41877 on 27 Nov 2017 18:51, edited 1 time in total.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 27 Nov 2017 18:50

E41877 wrote:I picked up another budget record collection win a couple of weeks ago. I was at a yard sale looking at some "junk" records, when an nice elderly woman walked up to me and asked me if I wanted her old Jazz record collection. I said sure and I followed her to her home which was a couple of blocks away. She pulled out almost 200 old Jazz, Soul and Gospel lps. She said she didn't want them anymore. I don't know much about these as I'm a collector of all things Rock, but they appeared to be old (1950's-70's) pressings and most in great condition. I asked her much she wanted for all and she said I could have them for free if I just hauled them off. I felt bad and gave her $20. That's all I had in my wallet at that time, but she was happy. I haven't had the time to look up the values in all of these yet, but I think I may have hit the jackpot with just a few that I have researched. Some of these appear to be highly sought after pressings and worth a lot of coin. Notable artists include John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Dave Brubeck and others.
Ooh, a list of some of the titles might be helpful...There might be some interesting ones in there... :-k

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 27 Nov 2017 18:54

Perhaps if you listen to some of them you might gain an appreciation for jazz. 8)

E41877
United States of America

Post by E41877 » 27 Nov 2017 20:43

Ooh, a list of some of the titles might be helpful...There might be some interesting ones in there... :-k[/quote]

Here are some of the Jazz, Blues and Soul. I didn't include Gospel.

Miles Davis "Round About Midnight"
Miles Davis "Seven Steps to Heaven"
Miles Davis "Miles Ahead"
Miles Davis "Sketches of Spain"
Miles Davis "At Fillmore"
Dave Brubeck Quartet "Time Out"
Dave Brubeck "Time Further Out"
Dave Brubeck "Countdown Time in Outer Space"
John Coltrane "Coltrane"
John Coltrane "Blue Train"
Jimmy Smith "At Club Baby Grand Wilmington Delaware"
Jimmy Smith with Stanley Turrentine "Prayer Meeting"
Horace Sliver Quartet "Finger Poppin with"
Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers "Meet You at the Jazz Corner of the World"
Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers "3 Blind Mice"
Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers "CD-4 Discrete 4 Channel Stereo"
Bobby Bland "Two Steps from the Blues"
Bobby Bland "Here's the Man"
Sonny Rollins "Our Man in Jazz"
Cannonball Adderley Quintet "Country Preacher"
Cannonball Adderley Quintet "Why Am I Treated so Bad"
Cannonball Adderley Quintet "The Best of"
Cannonball Adderley Quintet "In Chicago"
Esther Phillips "Burnin'"
Chuck Jackson "Arrives"
Nina Simone "At Town Hall"
Nina Simone "At Newport"
Chico Hamilton "The Chico Hamilton Special"
Chico Hamilton "Drumfusion"
Dakota Staton "Live and Swinging"
Dakota Staton "More than the Most"
Gene Ammons & Sonny Stitt "Boss Tenors in Orbit"
Sonny Stitt "Burnin'"
Shelley Manne & His Men "At the Blackhawk"
Shelley Mann "234"
Martin Denny "A Taste of Honey"
Martin Denny "Another Taste of Honey"
Martin Denny "Afro-Desia
Herbie Mann "The Common Ground"
Herbie Mann "At the Village Gate"
Herbie Mann "Gloty of Love"
Herbie Mann "The Inspiration I Feel"
Herbie Mann "Memphis Underground"
Herbie Mann "Concerto in D Blues"
Ray Charles "In Person"
Ray Charles "Modern Sounds in Country & Western Music"
Ray Charles "The Genius Sings the Blues"
Milt Jackson & Ray Charles "Soul Brothers"
Ike & Tina Turner "The Ike & Tina Turner Show"
Ike & Tina Turner "The Gospel According to Ike & Tina Turner"
Pearl Bailey "Naughty, but Nice"
Mongo Santamaria "Yambu" in blue vinyl
Mongo Santamaria "At the Village Gate"
Timi Yuro "What's the Matter Baby"
Dee Clark "The Best of"
Dinah Washington "Tears & Laughter"
Sarah Vaughan" Golden Hits"
Brother to Brother "In the Bottles"
Roberta Flack & Donny Hathaway "Roberta Flack & Donny Hathaway"
Gloria Lynn "At the Las Vegas Thunderbird"
Paul Winter Sextet "Jazz Premiere:Washington"
Paul Gonsalves "Tell it the Way it is"
Coleman Hawkins "Alive at the Village Gate"
Sammy Lowe "The Other Side of the Moments"
The Modern Jazz Quartet "Pyramid"
Jimmy Witherspoon "Roots"
J.J. Johnson Quartet "A Touch of Satin"
Wes Montgomery "Easy Groove"
Houston Person "Underground Soul"
Willis Jackson "Tell It"
Larry Young "Groove Street"
Gene Ammons, Etta Jones/Jack McDuff "Soul Summit"
Lambert, Hendricks and Bavan "At Newport '63"
Roland Kirk "We Free Kings"
Cal Tjader Quartet "Saturday/Sunday Night at the Blackhawk"
Milt Jackson with Frank Wes's & Bobby Jaspar "Bags & Flutes"
Johnny Hodges & Wild Bill Davis "Mess of Blues"
Oscar Toney Jr. "For Your Precious Love"
Della Reese "Della"
Brook Benton "Laura, what's he got that I ain't got"
Brook Benton "Shadrock"
Brook Benton "Lie to Me"
Brook Benton "Golden Hits"
Aretha Franklin "Soul Sister"
Aretha Franklin "Now"
Aretha Franklin "You"
Aretha Franklin "The Gospel Soul of"
Aretha Franklin " Soul '69"
Aretha Franklin "The Tender, The Moving, The Swinging"
Aretha Franklin " Lady Soul"
James Brown and his Famous Flames Sing Christmas Songs
Howlin' Wolf "Chester Burnett a.k.a. Howlin' Wolf"
Last edited by E41877 on 27 Nov 2017 21:10, edited 2 times in total.

E41877
United States of America

Post by E41877 » 27 Nov 2017 21:07

:-? :-?
Tinkaroo wrote:Perhaps if you listen to some of them you might gain an appreciation for jazz. 8)
I'll try, but like classical, I just don't have an ear for it. :-?

billshurv
long player
long player

Post by billshurv » 28 Nov 2017 00:46

vinyl master wrote:
In any case, you guys do have car boot sales, but also charity shops, antique shops, record shops, record fairs and the like...Do they sell vinyl in the bookstores over there, too? :-k There are some who even say that the British pressings of certain albums and singles are superior to the same U.S. versions! Sure, you might be paying a bit more, but what about the quality of the records? :-k

https://www.stereophile.com/content/london-calling is worth a read as an Americans view of record shopping in UK!

As I said, charity shops understand the internet now, so check ebay, discogs etc for value and price accordingly. The stuff they can't shift ends up in boot sales. When I found a bin full of maybe 300 LPs after the boot sale in my village there were 20 that were worth picking up. Only so much military band music you can handle. I am guessing he'd been hawking these for weeks got fed up and dumped them.

For the classical music I seek out the best route is ebay where sellers of popular music often buy collections then dump the classical. About 50% of these is either stuff I have or complete dross, so you have to accept that and dump those at the charity shops to end up at boot sales. It has got me to the point where I now seek specific recordings so have to pay market rates. If I ever end up with more shelf space this might change :)

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 28 Nov 2017 02:46

billshurv wrote:
vinyl master wrote:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/london-calling is worth a read as an Americans view of record shopping in UK!

As I said, charity shops understand the internet now, so check ebay, discogs etc for value and price accordingly. The stuff they can't shift ends up in boot sales. When I found a bin full of maybe 300 LPs after the boot sale in my village there were 20 that were worth picking up. Only so much military band music you can handle. I am guessing he'd been hawking these for weeks got fed up and dumped them.

For the classical music I seek out the best route is ebay where sellers of popular music often buy collections then dump the classical. About 50% of these is either stuff I have or complete dross, so you have to accept that and dump those at the charity shops to end up at boot sales. It has got me to the point where I now seek specific recordings so have to pay market rates. If I ever end up with more shelf space this might change :)
Sounds like you have to be more "picky and choosey" over there "across the pond"...The Stereophile article was an interesting read! Maybe it's just that in some places, one must look a little harder and deeper to find the good stuff...And maybe that's turning to online sources or off the beaten path to find the best record shops...One thing I learned long ago in this hobby is to never give up, though! :D

reynolds617
United States of America

Post by reynolds617 » 28 Nov 2017 02:49

Thanks for the article link, billshurv. I'm relatively new to this hobby, but I can absolutely see shelf space becoming an issue in the near future, especially if I find some places with bargain bins. :wink:

So far only one shop I have found in my area has reasonable prices (you have to hunt through a completely (and I mean COMPLETELY) unorganized collection, but the proprietor knows where things are and can point you in generally the right direction. I always get good value for money going there, but you need to plan on spending an hour minimum to find the stuff you want.

I really need to make a point of stopping off at random yard sales I find and asking if they have any vinyl if there's none in evidence. Based on this thread that seems to be your best route to scoring some great stuff for short money from someone who just wants it carted off.

The hunt really is a big part of the fun of this hobby as I'm learning.

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 28 Nov 2017 03:01

E41877 wrote:I picked up another budget record collection win a couple of weeks ago. I was at a yard sale looking at some "junk" records, when an nice elderly woman walked up to me and asked me if I wanted her old Jazz record collection. I said sure and I followed her to her home which was a couple of blocks away. She pulled out almost 200 old Jazz, Soul and Gospel lps. She said she didn't want them anymore. I don't know much about these as I'm a collector of all things Rock, but they appeared to be old (1950's-70's) pressings and most in great condition. I asked her much she wanted for all and she said I could have them for free if I just hauled them off. I felt bad and gave her $20, which was all I had in my wallet at that time, but she was happy with it. I haven't had the time to look up the values in all of these yet, but I think I may have hit the jackpot with just a few that I have researched. Some of these appear to be highly sought after pressings and worth a lot of coin. Notable artists include John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Dave Brubeck and others.
You have a great find in that collection and it is worth trying to listen to. I really hope you asked that kind lady if there was any equipment to go with those records as the electronics may have been just as interesting and valuable. People who bought that kind of music, in that quantity and took care of it did NOT buy a crappy console or portable record playerr, they usually bought decent stuff that would put todays' stuff to the test.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 28 Nov 2017 03:17

E41877 wrote::-? :-?
Tinkaroo wrote:Perhaps if you listen to some of them you might gain an appreciation for jazz. 8)
For sure, you've got some classics there..."Seven Steps To Heaven", "Sketches Of Spain", "Blue Train", "Bags & Flutes", "Time Out", etc. All classics! You could always try to sell some of those here on VE's classifieds, if they are not for you, as I'm sure there are plenty of jazz lovers who would love to have them! Of course, if you ever listen to a lot of 70's progressive rock, I'll bet you anything that many of them were listening to jazz, too...The Wes Montgomery and Herbie Mann records have some nice, mellow stuff on them...One thing about jazz I personally appreciate is listening for the different instruments and hearing something different each time...Some of it can be challenging, esp. if you're not into jazz too much...Some of it like the Mongo Santamaria stuff borders on jazz-funk...As the great Louis Armstrong once commented, though..."If you have to ask what jazz is, you'll never know!"

As Esperanza Spalding once said, "If you don't already know about jazz music, how would you be exposed? How would get an opportunity to find out if it spoke to you? If you get exposed to it enough, you might find a taste for it."

And then there are the words of John Philip Sousa..."Jazz will endure just as long people hear it through their feet instead of their brains."

Dave Holland says, "Jazz has such a great feeling and great emotional content that it really doesn't require you to have technical understanding of it. I think you just have to allow your feelings to go with the music and you will find yourself carried along by it fairly quickly."

Finally, as Henry Rollins once commented, "To my ears, jazz sounds better in warm weather and after the sun has gone down. While I will listen to some of my favorite jazz records in cooler weather, it's the warmer nights that really make them come alive. Something about those sounds and the heat of the night really makes it happen for me."

I think jazz is just something you have to feel, not think about or worry about...The nice thing is that whatever music you like, there are entryways that will lead you into jazz. I think, as one gets older, they develop more of an appreciation for it like a fine wine...That doesn't mean a younger person can't get into it, but as our bodies slow down more, we are more taken by the sounds of jazz as it reflects a rhythm that is more like our own daily realities...

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 28 Nov 2017 03:19

circularvibes wrote:
E41877 wrote:I picked up another budget record collection win a couple of weeks ago. I was at a yard sale looking at some "junk" records, when an nice elderly woman walked up to me and asked me if I wanted her old Jazz record collection. I said sure and I followed her to her home which was a couple of blocks away. She pulled out almost 200 old Jazz, Soul and Gospel lps. She said she didn't want them anymore. I don't know much about these as I'm a collector of all things Rock, but they appeared to be old (1950's-70's) pressings and most in great condition. I asked her much she wanted for all and she said I could have them for free if I just hauled them off. I felt bad and gave her $20, which was all I had in my wallet at that time, but she was happy with it. I haven't had the time to look up the values in all of these yet, but I think I may have hit the jackpot with just a few that I have researched. Some of these appear to be highly sought after pressings and worth a lot of coin. Notable artists include John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Dave Brubeck and others.
You have a great find in that collection and it is worth trying to listen to. I really hope you asked that kind lady if there was any equipment to go with those records as the electronics may have been just as interesting and valuable. People who bought that kind of music, in that quantity and took care of it did NOT buy a crappy console or portable record playerr, they usually bought decent stuff that would put todays' stuff to the test.
I agree with circularvibes...You may want to see if she had any decent equipment left to play those records on...A collection like that does not come from an audio amateur!

reynolds617
United States of America

Post by reynolds617 » 28 Nov 2017 03:25

Those Martin Denny records are classics of exotica! Fix yourself a drink in a Tiki mug and throw those bad boys on!

Which brings me to mention (off topic), one of my favorite discoveries on the internet: The Retro Cocktail Hour.

If you need to shake things up from your musical routine, I can recommend no finer program than that. Host Darryl Brogdon's knowledge of exotica and space age pop is peerless, and it's always a fun show. They're all available to stream online.

HIGHLY recommended.

E41877
United States of America

Post by E41877 » 28 Nov 2017 04:01

circularvibes wrote:
That's the first thing I asked when I saw her collection. She didn't have any equipment. :(

E41877
United States of America

Post by E41877 » 28 Nov 2017 04:12

vinyl master wrote:
E41877 wrote::-? :-?
For sure, you've got some classics there..."Seven Steps To Heaven", "Sketches Of Spain", "Blue Train", "Bags & Flutes", "Time Out", etc. All classics! You could always try to sell some of those here on VE's classifieds, if they are not for you, as I'm sure there are plenty of jazz lovers who would love to have them! Of course, if you ever listen to a lot of 70's progressive rock, I'll bet you anything that many of them were listening to jazz, too...The Wes Montgomery and Herbie Mann records have some nice, mellow stuff on them...One thing about jazz I personally appreciate is listening for the different instruments and hearing something different each time...Some of it can be challenging, esp. if you're not into jazz too much...Some of it like the Mongo Santamaria stuff borders on jazz-funk...As the great Louis Armstrong once commented, though..."If you have to ask what jazz is, you'll never know!"

As Esperanza Spalding once said, "If you don't already know about jazz music, how would you be exposed? How would get an opportunity to find out if it spoke to you? If you get exposed to it enough, you might find a taste for it."

And then there are the words of John Philip Sousa..."Jazz will endure just as long people hear it through their feet instead of their brains."

Dave Holland says, "Jazz has such a great feeling and great emotional content that it really doesn't require you to have technical understanding of it. I think you just have to allow your feelings to go with the music and you will find yourself carried along by it fairly quickly."

Finally, as Henry Rollins once commented, "To my ears, jazz sounds better in warm weather and after the sun has gone down. While I will listen to some of my favorite jazz records in cooler weather, it's the warmer nights that really make them come alive. Something about those sounds and the heat of the night really makes it happen for me."

I think jazz is just something you have to feel, not think about or worry about...The nice thing is that whatever music you like, there are entryways that will lead you into jazz. I think, as one gets older, they develop more of an appreciation for it like a fine wine...That doesn't mean a younger person can't get into it, but as our bodies slow down more, we are more taken by the sounds of jazz as it reflects a rhythm that is more like our own daily realities...
I'll give Jazz another chance with some of these classic records. I am a huge fan of 70's progressive Rock and you are right that some of these artists were influenced by Jazz.