Budget record collecting

name that tune
billshurv
long player
long player

Re: Budget record collecting

Post by billshurv » 22 Nov 2017 23:48

spunkerboybr wrote: I think taste is something very relative, and paying $1 for Easy Listening records that the majority of people doesn't like anymore is an excellent score if you like that type of sound. If the records were in Excellent or Near Mint shapes, I'd easily buy them for that price because I enjoy this type of music, especially when needing to focus at work.
Of course it's relative. I was more suprised with the two that I would have snapped up than the ones I would have passed on. I was put off easy listening as my father only had 2 tapes in the car when I was about 8. One was Herb Albert and the other was Neil Diamond. UK to Spain for holidays was a long drive with the same 2 tapes over and over an over again :).

tobyKenobi

Post by tobyKenobi » 23 Nov 2017 10:43

I stumbled across this column the other day: Junk Shop Classical: Music Stories Told £1 Record By £1 Record. A rock and pop fan educates himself about classical music by picking up records for £1 or less in charity shops. And gets a column out of it!

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 23 Nov 2017 23:14

spunkerboybr wrote: Lovely finds, Tinkaroo. I have all four Ray Conniff albums you found, with the difference that all my copies are US Columbia pressings. 'Christmas with Conniff' is a classic album and a must for mostly everyone into seasonal songs played in an Easy Listening style. If you have the opportunity, look for the two other Christmas albums by Ray Conniff, 'We Wish You A Merry Christmas' (1962) and 'Here We Come A-Caroling' (1965).
billshurv wrote:I would have picked up those first two but none of the others are to my taste and $1 for mantovani is 75c too much IMO. The autobahn was worth the trip.
I think taste is something very relative, and paying $1 for Easy Listening records that the majority of people doesn't like anymore is an excellent score if you like that type of sound. If the records were in Excellent or Near Mint shapes, I'd easily buy them for that price because I enjoy this type of music, especially when needing to focus at work.
I look at it as "one man's trash is another man's treasure"...It's funny how I see these odd easy listening albums in the cheap bins and the ones that most people would just discard are the ones I've been actively picking up...Good instrumental music can be good for focusing, meditation and/or stress relief...I find the cares of the day seem to dissipate when listening to a lush orchestra of cascading strings and brass...Or even a soft guitar...Soothing vocals can also have that effect. In regards to the albums themselves, sometimes, the covers alone make the dollar price worthwhile (And in my case, "covers" can mean more than just the album art, esp. if one is a Beatles fan like I am)...People buy records for more than one reason alone...Besides, there's a reason that you see so many of the same titles in the thrift shops. It's a testament to their popularity and if they were popular once, they still have the potential to be popular today to the right people...As always, beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

billshurv
long player
long player

Post by billshurv » 24 Nov 2017 00:26

Hunting for a Schubert quintet I was sure I had on vinyl turned up, this, which is a double album that I paid 98c for in HPB in Dallas in 1998(photo not mine).
Attachments
gilels.jpg
(16.47 KiB) Downloaded 402 times

TheSoylentMan

Post by TheSoylentMan » 24 Nov 2017 18:14

SpeakerMania wrote:theSoylentman....I've got to rush out and check my collection....those are the same albums that make up the core of my collection! Nope, they're all still there....some great titles, and most appear to be in great condition. Many hours of great listening, and cannot...cannot beat the price!
Ha! Thanks for all the comments guys. It was hauls like these that got me started collecting. Yes, they're mostly in excellent shape, at least what's pictured. Although I've definitely pulled less-than-perfect stuff out of the clearance rack because it's often worth the risk for the price. This can cause unpleasant surprises down the road, as I don't always remember - I recently pulled out my copy of Bob Dylan's Greatest hits and discovered it is pretty trashed :?
zwhita wrote:Just wondering SoylentMan, were most of these purchased before 2010? I managed to get about 3 of the ones pictured for really cheap at half-price books, but most of them I own which I got from HPB were $3-$7, and that's before they really started raising their prices.
zwhita, most were purchased from 2006 to probably 2010. I know what you mean about the jump in price. I think my experience in the last 5 years or so has been the same as yours. Also, my memory is usually pretty good but I might have paid more for a couple of these. I'm a big Yes and Peter Gabriel fan, so it's possible I pulled a couple of those titles from the non-clearance rack.
zwhita wrote:I don't even want to think about what I paid for my Rush and Queen albums, and Dusty in Memphis I got from ebay for $25, so that's a lucky find.
I actually had the best bargain luck with 12 inch dance singles from the late 80's, but none for less than $2. Just can't find deals like this easily in the Dallas area anymore.

To be fair, some of the more "collectible" artists pictured (Stones, Queen, LZ, Doors) were not in the best shape but are still listenable. I'll bet your Queen records play better than mine. Still, I'm glad I picked them up when I did as nowadays they'll slap a $10-$20 price tag on those artists regardless of condition :evil:

I think I just got lucky on the Dusty album. My guess is they looked at the cover and thought it was some easy listening record from the sixties and they didn't know what they had.

Rush is an odd one - back in the day I feel like their records were about as common as the other big-name prog acts (Yes, Genesis, Kansas etc), and they were just another nerdy prog band (no complaints from me). Then recently they became "cool," and record stores started displaying them (and pricing them) like your Pink Floyd and Bowie.

TheSoylentMan

Post by TheSoylentMan » 24 Nov 2017 21:08

Tinkaroo wrote:A thrifting we will go.
Kraftwerk-Autobahn-Philips 1974
That's an amazing find! I don't think I've *ever* seen original Kraftwerk releases secondhand, let alone in a thrift shop.

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 24 Nov 2017 21:42

How is this for a budget find? I found Anne Murray's first record from UNB for a buck at my local reccord shop. This is from 1965, before she was even known or on TV. It is marked up and crackly, but the last one I found was distorting and the previous one was so scratchy that it was unlistenable. With only 500 pressed for local sale, I am happy to have one that can be cleaned up and play better. I also feel excited that I got one up on the store. I like these unexpected finds.

tobyKenobi

Post by tobyKenobi » 25 Nov 2017 07:32

TheSoylentMan wrote: That's an amazing find! I don't think I've *ever* seen original Kraftwerk releases secondhand, let alone in a thrift shop.
The trick is to buy them about 10 years ago before vinyl became "cool"! I've picked up a 1974 Autobahn and a 1981 Computer World for a few pounds apiece (can't remember exactly but I know it wasn't much). Sadly you need a Tardis or similar to pull this off.

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 25 Nov 2017 09:28

TheSoylentMan wrote:
Tinkaroo wrote:A thrifting we will go.
Kraftwerk-Autobahn-Philips 1974
That's an amazing find! I don't think I've *ever* seen original Kraftwerk releases secondhand, let alone in a thrift shop.
It just goes to show that it pays to keep looking, even if sometimes you strike out and find nothing.

Sometimes records get donated to a thrift store since somebody is moving, cleaning house or whatever. Some people haven't played records since the 1980s and have no means to play them. To them it may just be junk cluttering up their house. Many have moved on to CD's or digital. They are surprised anyone is even interested in old records.

The summer before last I cam across a yard sale where the people were moving and asked if he had any records, since none were out. He went in the house and brought out two boxes of great records from the 1970s that had been lightly played and well cared for. I got the ones I picked out for a dollar apiece, but left many behind which I already had so someone else might have a chance at them.

Not everyone is greedy these days or thinks they are sitting on a box of gold. The key is to keep looking and to realize that there may be a treasure or two among many of which may amount to trashed records. Maybe you have to look through hundreds of records to find one you like that is in good shape. It is a bit like panning for gold.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 27 Nov 2017 06:32

If you're into new records, this guy has some pretty good tips for finding them at decent prices...

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 27 Nov 2017 07:58

If you're like me, though, and like to shop at the thrift stores, I picked up 38 more records at my favorite 10 cent thrift shop...Some of which I will be gifting away, but I found these, which I'll probably keep, as most of them I didn't have until now...

1. DAN FOGELBERG & TIM WEISBERG Twin Sons Of Different Mothers
2. TIM BUCKLEY Happy Sad
3. JOAN BAEZ Blowin' Away
4. TOM RUSH Tom Rush
5. QUICKSILVER MESSENGER SERVICE Shady Grove
6. LAURA NYRO Nested
7. JOHN MAYALL The Turning Point
8. FLEETWOOD MAC Bare Trees
9. RITA COOLIDGE The Lady's Not For Sale
10. JOHNNY TRUDELL Dream Dance (A nice find! The funky and jazzy debut from a legendary Detroit musician... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVXLILcsRPk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVN3k6hB_uc )
11. MICHAEL PINDER The Promise
12. RAY THOMAS Hopes, Wishes & Dreams (The last two will help complete my Moody Blues collection nicely...I still have a few more solo releases to look out for, but these were only 10 cents apiece...Who can argue??? 8-[ )
13. THE BYRDS Mr. Tambourine Man
14. QUICKSILVER MESSENGER SERVICE Quicksilver Messenger Service
15. JOHN MAYALL U.S.A. Union
16. LOUIS NYE AND THE STATUS SEEKERS Heigh-Ho Madison Ave! (This has to be the weirdest find of the bunch! :roll: Not on the actual record, but these are just as weird... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4W5EcLTXus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPh6fxIxBiM)
17. BOB JAMES BJ4
18. GEOFF LOVE AND HIS ORCHESTRA Play Your Top TV Themes
19. V/A (EUEL BOX) Benji Soundtrack (I know, but it's a childhood memory hearing the music and there's some interesting music on here...)
20. JOHN & PAUL WILLIAMS Cinderella Liberty Soundtrack
21. V/A Long Hot Summer (Westchester compilation)
22. FATHER JOSEPH DUSTIN Father's Day
23. V/A Big Country (Tampa label comp)
24. ALLAN SHERMAN For Swingin' Livers Only
25. MEL TILLIS & THE STATESIDERS One More Time (R.I.P. to the recently deceased Mel on that one!)

Some folky, bluesy and unusual stuff there...AKA my normal thrift store haul! :wink:

The girl behind the counter almost charged me $1.00 an album, but then I mentioned that they were always 10 cents...She was worried she'd get in trouble because she was selling the DVD's for 10 cents and she didn't know they were $2.00 apiece...Thankfully, I reminded her that I'd bought many albums there for 10 cents before, and I don't plan on stopping now...Hopefully, the prices stay that way...

The best part, though, was schooling a lady that was behind me in line...She was surprised I was buying albums and told me of an old suitcase player from the 30's that was handed down to her from her grandmother and now sits on the shelf as a display piece...I told her about Gary over at The Voice Of Music and said that if he can't help her get the parts she needs to get it working again, NO ONE CAN! I can't believe how often I've mentioned Gary's name, so I hope he's not too mad at me for sending more business his way... :oops:

billshurv
long player
long player

Post by billshurv » 27 Nov 2017 09:23

vinyl master wrote:If you're into new records, this guy has some pretty good tips for finding them at decent prices...
Ah, another wet behind the ears younger than my children thinking they know it all. Marvellous.

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 27 Nov 2017 09:49

Some more great finds there at a bargain price V-M! =D>

I have a couple of them, but would have been happy with The Byrds and some of the others you found too. Definitely not throwaway junk as in the Paul McCartney song.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 27 Nov 2017 10:11

billshurv wrote:
vinyl master wrote:If you're into new records, this guy has some pretty good tips for finding them at decent prices...
Ah, another wet behind the ears younger than my children thinking they know it all. Marvellous.
Yes, but I didn't know about the Reddit links...He's definitely right about setting up a Discogs account...To find certain records, you have to sometimes open yourself up to as many avenues as possible and do a lot of searching...Young or old, it's important to hear all thoughts...You might just get some good ideas that you hadn't thought of before...

I think all of us have our "secret" places where we go to find vinyl...The "honey holes" that only we know about and no one else! It's good that there are online sources out there, too (esp. on newer albums), for those willing to take a chance or save a bit of money...With used, I think Discogs is a great resource, but that has never stopped me from buying at thrift shops, garage sales, antique shops, flea markets, Craigslist, record stores and other such places...If there are places on Reddit or Amazon that offer up good deals on vinyl, I can add those to the list of spots to search...There might be some interesting things here, if one watches the site consistently...

https://www.reddit.com/r/VinylDeals/

I would be curious, though, if anyone has purchased anything from any of those links he mentions... :-k

billshurv
long player
long player

Post by billshurv » 27 Nov 2017 12:10

I stopped listening to Youtube advice on stuff like this a long time ago. You appear to use it as a substitute for doing your own research. You also seem to forget that there is a world outside of the USA. In the UK we don't have yard sales, but we have the strange world of the car boot sale. Records there are 97% junk, both content and condition but as I found when someone threw about 500 away there are some jewels to be found.

There is a definate ecosystem now at least here. Charity shops are wise to ebay and prices are high compared to 10 years ago.