vinyl engineer
United States of America

Re: Budget record collecting

Post by vinyl master » 06 Jan 2020 04:47

Paff wrote:
06 Jan 2020 04:43
vinyl master wrote:
04 Jan 2020 04:07

18. THE EURYTHMICS Greatest Hits (Arista) (I've always liked Annie Lennox's voice and one of my first cassettes was of The Eurythmics, but I never had a CD of the highlights...)
Since you like Annie Lennox, and I KNOW you know your power-pop, it's safe to assume you're familiar with The Tourists?

Very much so, Paff...Somewhere around here, I have a 45' of "I Only Want To Be With You" on Epic...

https://www.discogs.com/The-Tourists-I- ... se/3137880

I'm really surprised that stuff didn't hit bigger, in the age of The Cars, Gary Numan, The Human League and whatnot...

There is a reason their best-of is called "Should Have Been Greatest Hits"...

https://www.discogs.com/The-Tourists-Sh ... ter/485503

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 06 Jan 2020 09:29

vinyl master wrote:
06 Jan 2020 02:41
Tinkaroo wrote:
05 Jan 2020 09:49
Thanks for the condolences guys.

Her loss as well as that of my brother just over a year ago, both long before their time is a lesson to take better care of our health and to not smoke cigarettes or anything else.
They are very bad for our health in so many different ways. :evil:
Amen to that, Tink...And it's only getting harder for smokers...Our state (and country) just bumped the legal age to buy cigarettes to 21 from 18...

https://www.freep.com/story/money/busin ... 794526001/
Unfortunately restrictions and prohibition don't work as well as education. I think seeing examples of people we know who are suffering health problems or who's life has been cut short by smoking related illnesses can send a stronger message.If they think it's cool and will make them one of the in crowd then some who are desperate for acceptance will join the other sheep.

Seeing commercials by the likes of Yul Brynner, William Talman and Leonard Nimoy are some good examples of such public service eulogies about the dangers of smoking.

Besides all that it's a filthy, smelly habit that can lead to property and wildfires due to carelessness.

Paff

Post by Paff » 06 Jan 2020 16:20

vinyl master wrote:
06 Jan 2020 04:47

I'm really surprised that stuff didn't hit bigger, in the age of The Cars, Gary Numan, The Human League and whatnot...

There is a reason their best-of is called "Should Have Been Greatest Hits"...

https://www.discogs.com/The-Tourists-Sh ... ter/485503
Even worse is that Tourists' records WOULD be in the dollar bin now, had Annie and Dave not gone on to form Eurythmics (much like how copies of Buckingham/Nicks would also reside in dollar bins had they not gone onto another band, can't think of the name right now). I just discovered them a year ago, but now have all three LPs plus the (should have been) Greatest Hits collection.

I too always liked Annie Lennox's voice, but could never get into Eurythmics. Trouser Press referred to "Sweet Dreams" as a "dirge", and I think that's an accurate description. I'd thought about picking up some LPs anyway, figuring maybe there's some "deep cuts" (aka, "not hits") I might like, but really, The Tourists give me Annie's voice matched with music I can actually enjoy. It's enough for me.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 19 Jan 2020 07:26

Well, I thought I should mention that I had another very interesting haul from my local thrift store the other day (and yes, you probably wish you had my thrift stores...), but here goes...Some cool records, although there's a slight problem...The records themselves look (for the most part) very pristine, but it's the outside covers that could use some work...Some of them have a bit of mold and dust and mostly at the bottoms of the covers and records, but I think they're worth a cleaning...For example...

You see what I have to work with, right??? :-k #-o

Anyhoo, not all of them were rough...And here's a list of what I picked up...Another mixed bag!

1. MILES DAVIS Sketches Of Spain (Columbia)
2. RINGO STARR/PETER SELLERS "The Magic Christian" Soundtrack (Commonwealth United)
3. BILLY VAUGHN Moon River (Pickwick/33) (Bought mainly for the cover...)
4. THE GRAINGERS Shine Your Light (12" rare funk record!) (BC)
5. VARIOUS ARTISTS "Leroy" Soundtrack (Cotillion) (Artists on this album include Buffalo Springfield, The Byrds, Cream and Led Zeppelin)
6. FRANCOIS GLORIEUX Plays The Beatles (Vanguard) (This is a nice compilation of Beatles songs done in classic-al style!)
7. PEABO BRYSON I Am Love (Capitol)
8. RICK WAKEMAN Journey To The Center Of The Earth (A&M)
9. WYNTON MARSALIS Hot House Flowers (Columbia)
10. "Hanna Barbera's Snagglepuss And The Wizard Of Oz" (Columbia Special Products)
11. VARIOUS ARTISTS Flight Of The Bumblebee And Other Favorites From Old Russia (Deutsche Grammophon) (Classical LP featuring selections from Shostakovich, Rimsky-Korsakov, Dvorak, Rachmaninov, etc.)
12. A promo classical/pop 10"? record that states "Selections From Capitol Records High Fidelity Library For V-M Tri-O-Matic High Fidelity Record Changers And Phonographs - Demonstration Record Not For Sale"...One side composers like Prokofiev, Schubert and Chopin...The other side pop from Les Paul, Nat "King" Cole, Ray Anthony and more!
13. TERRY GIBBS AND HIS ORCHESTRA Launching A New Sound In Music (Mercury) (Another space age cover!)
14. VARIOUS ARTISTS "Looking For Mr. Goodbar" Soundtrack (Columbia) (Artists featured include Marlena Shaw, The Commodores, Thelma Houston & Donna Summer)
15. GLADYS KNIGHT & THE PIPS The Best of Gladys Knight & The Pips (Buddah)
16. THE FOUR SEASONS The Four Seasons Story (2-LP set) (Private Stock)
17. VARIOUS ARTISTS Avon Valentine Favorites (RCA Special Products) (A promotional album for Avon with Elvis Presley, Johnny Mathis and others...)

Sooo...Whaddya think??? Any thoughts on this latest batch of wax??? :-k

cary114
United States of America

Post by cary114 » 20 Jan 2020 02:27

VM, Not that is important what I think, But I think you have a lot of upcoming fun listening to some interesting and rare music. =D> =D> =D> =D>

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 20 Jan 2020 09:55

That sounds like some fun stuff and you get to ride that midnight train with Gladys, Miles, Ringo, Frankie and Snagglepuss too! :wink:

DasherF
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DasherF » 21 Jan 2020 23:33

Hey, vm! I think this is a good time to try that 2-in-1 shampoo bit one of our other members "advocated" a few years back...I find it works wonders on the worst sounding records...that "Come Fly With Me" had mold like yours...got a sponge brush, wet it and the record down, a drop of 2-in-1 on the record, spread it around into the grooves, rinse, dry, play...
And agreeing with Tink, yeah, Boss, fun stuff!

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 31 Jan 2020 10:55

Some more thrift store finds in great shape.:

-Tommy Roe-We Can Make Music -1970

-Barry Manilow-Live (Double LP 1977)

-Claude King-Meet Claude King- 1962

-Helen Reddy- I Am Woman-1972

-Claudine- Love is Blue A&M- 1968

-James Last- In Concert- 1973

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 23 Feb 2020 19:04

Well, folks...I think my latest haul has been my best so far (or at least most enjoyable)...Take a look!

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... 1&t=116769

$7.25 for the whole kitty and kaboodle (so I think it qualifies as a "budget find") and I even found one of my "holy grails"...Life is good! :D