Budget record collecting

name that tune
TheSoylentMan

Re: Budget record collecting

Post by TheSoylentMan » 26 Oct 2017 17:53

billshurv wrote:I've said it before, but I miss the days when half price books had albums for 50c.
Absolutely. This is pretty much what got me into record collecting. A Half Price Books opened near me sometime in 2006, and I was there the day it opened. The bulk of my collection came from their clearance section in those few years before the "vinyl craze" hit. I should post pictures of some of the gems that came out of that clearance bin.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 26 Oct 2017 18:32

TheSoylentMan wrote:
billshurv wrote:I've said it before, but I miss the days when half price books had albums for 50c.
Absolutely. This is pretty much what got me into record collecting. A Half Price Books opened near me sometime in 2006, and I was there the day it opened. The bulk of my collection came from their clearance section in those few years before the "vinyl craze" hit. I should post pictures of some of the gems that came out of that clearance bin.
You should post some pics! I'm sure we'd love to see them! :D

reynolds617
United States of America

Post by reynolds617 » 26 Oct 2017 19:18

vinyl master wrote:
TheSoylentMan wrote:
I second that. Would love to see some photos of your best finds!

Even used records tend to be pretty pricey. I wish I knew more about the quality of the pressings I'm buying. I do my best to look things up on Discogs while I'm at the store, but not all of them have that many ratings and often there are no barcodes to scan which means looking at the deadwax, and God help you if it's something like a Zeppelin album where there are 56,000 different pressings. I couldn't even positively identify my Led Zeppelin II pressing on a desktop computer let alone my phone.b :roll:

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 27 Oct 2017 03:19

I did find a few more interesting titles recently...

Here's one from the thrift shop where I bought that Sherwood...

Being a Nat "King" Cole fan, I thought this one was unique for $1.00...

I also picked up a few interesting country-rock, pop and soul titles on 45', mostly promos, and a few white-labels...

1. TUFANO GIAMMARESE Music Everywhere/Just A Dream Away (These guys were in The Buckinghams, who did "Kind Of A Drag" and "Don't You Care"...)
2. JEFF FENHOLT I Need You/I Need You (Supposedly, an Eric Carmen song, also recorded by The Euclid Beach Band...)
3. BOATZ It Was Only The Radio/It Was Only The Radio
4. SMOKEY ROBINSON Sweet Harmony/Sweet Harmony
5. GEORGE JACKSON (If I Could Get On That) Soul Train/Smoking And Drinking
6. TOBY BEAU Into The Night/Into The Night

An example...

50 cents a piece at the same thrift shop! Like what has been said, at those prices, you can take risks! :D

TheSoylentMan

Post by TheSoylentMan » 07 Nov 2017 14:28

reynolds617 wrote:
vinyl master wrote:
I second that. Would love to see some photos of your best finds!

Even used records tend to be pretty pricey. I wish I knew more about the quality of the pressings I'm buying. I do my best to look things up on Discogs while I'm at the store, but not all of them have that many ratings and often there are no barcodes to scan which means looking at the deadwax, and God help you if it's something like a Zeppelin album where there are 56,000 different pressings. I couldn't even positively identify my Led Zeppelin II pressing on a desktop computer let alone my phone.b :roll:
I took some pictures over the weekend. Will try to post them when I get a chance.

TheSoylentMan

Post by TheSoylentMan » 10 Nov 2017 19:40

Ok, as promised here are a few pictures. I am not a great photographer and I was too lazy to remove all the outer sleeves to reduce glare. But you get the idea. Here are some of my favorite finds from the Half Price Books 50 cent bin:
IMG_6487.jpg
(790.4299999999999 KiB) Downloaded 362 times
Seriously, what were these doing in the clearance bin??
IMG_6483_copy.jpg
(800.59 KiB) Downloaded 363 times
Ugh, why is this loading sideways? It's right-side up on my pc...
IMG_6484.jpg
(659.67 KiB) Downloaded 360 times
Original shrink & hype sticker, flawless vinyl

A few more...
Attachments
IMG_6493.jpg
(879.66 KiB) Downloaded 356 times
IMG_6488.jpg
(840.24 KiB) Downloaded 358 times

TheSoylentMan

Post by TheSoylentMan » 10 Nov 2017 19:46

Prog!
IMG_6492.jpg
(926.88 KiB) Downloaded 357 times
Not pictured are loads of the more "common" seventies acts - near-complete catalogs of Steely Dan, Supertramp, Chicago, Elton John, Billy Joel, James Taylor, Moody Blues, Eagles, Toto, etc etc...

So yeah, I definitely miss the glory days of the Half Price Books clearance bin :D

VinyldechezPierre
France

Post by VinyldechezPierre » 11 Nov 2017 18:09

vinyl master wrote:What have been your favorite finds so far for under a dollar or two? :-k
Way too many to list but, for the most part, artists I'd never heard of before. Albums, often enough, bought for their beautiful covers and only a few times disappointed.

Then there are the weird finds, some of which I have just shown in another of your threads. Wonderful quirky things that I'll never listen to much but will love to play when someone else is around. :lol:

One that did not make it on the other thread, I believe, is a 45 (and I don't usually buy those) by Bourvil. Bourvil was a famous french actor, gone for 47 years now, and when I realised what I was looking at, I just had to buy it. Especially at the asking price of $1...

A-side is a cover of Gainsbourg's "Je t'aime moi non plus", a song that was banned in the US. Maybe still is for all I know. Anyway, it was a strange kind of combo. Bourvil, mostly a comedy actor I would say, was rather conservative (in his public personna anyway) while Gainsbourg was a shock artist. The Marilyn Manson of his time but way more interesting in a way. My reason for getting it.

As it turned out this was not a straight cover and I shouldn't have been surprised. Re-worked to better fit Bourvil's rather conservative fan base but still absolutely wonderful. And probably, the main reason I found it is that I live about 20 minutes from his village, I am right in the middle of his main fan area.

Now, to get back to budget collecting, I don't know why more people do it (don't do it?). I've bought a few collections at like less than 20 cents an album and found amazing stuff in there. And wilk find more, I'm sure. I've got at least 300 vinyls waiting to be listened to.

Of course, I am very open musically and that probably makes my life easier. When you're stuck in a specific style/genre, it is a lot harder to go and buy anything. :oops:

Be open to life!

And music.

E41877
United States of America

Post by E41877 » 12 Nov 2017 14:39

TheSoylentMan wrote:Ok, as promised here are a few pictures. I am not a great photographer and I was too lazy to remove all the outer sleeves to reduce glare. But you get the idea. Here are some of my favorite finds from the Half Price Books 50 cent bin:
IMG_6487.jpg
Seriously, what were these doing in the clearance bin??
IMG_6483_copy.jpg
Ugh, why is this loading sideways? It's right-side up on my pc...
IMG_6484.jpg
Original shrink & hype sticker, flawless vinyl

A few more...
Those are some great titles. =D>

E41877
United States of America

Post by E41877 » 12 Nov 2017 14:41

TheSoylentMan wrote:Prog!
IMG_6492.jpg
Not pictured are loads of the more "common" seventies acts - near-complete catalogs of Steely Dan, Supertramp, Chicago, Elton John, Billy Joel, James Taylor, Moody Blues, Eagles, Toto, etc etc...

So yeah, I definitely miss the glory days of the Half Price Books clearance bin :D
...and more great titles. =D> I'm always finding stuff like this every weekend at garage/yard sales.

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 21 Nov 2017 18:21

A thrifting we will go.

I found the following at two thrift shops for a buck apiece, all in good condition.

Benny Goodman Quartet-Together Again-1964 RCA German stereo pressing.

Kraftwerk-Autobahn-Philips 1974

Barbra Streisand-Classical-CBS 1976

Sandpipers-Greatest Hits- A&M/MFP

Mantovani-Moon River and Other Great Movie Themes- London records- English pressing

Bert Kaempfert-Dreaming In Wonderland-1965 Polydor- German pressing
Bert Kaempfert-Love Letters- Polydor-1965 German pressing

Ray Conniff-The Happy Beat-1963 CBS
Ray Conniff-Laughter in The Rain- 1975 CBS
Ray Conniff-Another Somebody Done Somebody Wrong Song-1975 CBS
Ray Conniff-Christmas With Conniff-CBS

Al Hirt-Have a Merry Little-1980 RCA Camden

Boney M-Christmas Album-1981 Atlantic

Plus 4 CDs:

Sarah Harmer-Oh Little Fire-2010

Bruce Cockburn-Christmas-1993 True North

Julie Andrews & Andre Previn-Christmas With- 2005 Mastertech-Australian Pressing

Matt Dusk-Peace on Earth-2004 Decca

billshurv
long player
long player

Post by billshurv » 21 Nov 2017 21:38

I would have picked up those first two but none of the others are to my taste and $1 for mantovani is 75c too much IMO. The autobahn was worth the trip.

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 21 Nov 2017 22:23

theSoylentman....I've got to rush out and check my collection....those are the same albums that make up the core of my collection! Nope, they're all still there....some great titles, and most appear to be in great condition. Many hours of great listening, and cannot...cannot beat the price! :mrgreen: Oh, and big thumbs up on the Foreigner album, Uniman4, ..hadn't listened to it for years, and agree, great production values there!

spunkerboybr

Post by spunkerboybr » 22 Nov 2017 11:06

Tinkaroo wrote:A thrifting we will go.

I found the following at two thrift shops for a buck apiece, all in good condition.

Benny Goodman Quartet-Together Again-1964 RCA German stereo pressing.

Kraftwerk-Autobahn-Philips 1974

Barbra Streisand-Classical-CBS 1976

Sandpipers-Greatest Hits- A&M/MFP

Mantovani-Moon River and Other Great Movie Themes- London records- English pressing

Bert Kaempfert-Dreaming In Wonderland-1965 Polydor- German pressing
Bert Kaempfert-Love Letters- Polydor-1965 German pressing

Ray Conniff-The Happy Beat-1963 CBS
Ray Conniff-Laughter in The Rain- 1975 CBS
Ray Conniff-Another Somebody Done Somebody Wrong Song-1975 CBS
Ray Conniff-Christmas With Conniff-CBS

Al Hirt-Have a Merry Little-1980 RCA Camden

Boney M-Christmas Album-1981 Atlantic

Plus 4 CDs:

Sarah Harmer-Oh Little Fire-2010

Bruce Cockburn-Christmas-1993 True North

Julie Andrews & Andre Previn-Christmas With- 2005 Mastertech-Australian Pressing

Matt Dusk-Peace on Earth-2004 Decca
Lovely finds, Tinkaroo. I have all four Ray Conniff albums you found, with the difference that all my copies are US Columbia pressings. 'Christmas with Conniff' is a classic album and a must for mostly everyone into seasonal songs played in an Easy Listening style. If you have the opportunity, look for the two other Christmas albums by Ray Conniff, 'We Wish You A Merry Christmas' (1962) and 'Here We Come A-Caroling' (1965).
billshurv wrote:I would have picked up those first two but none of the others are to my taste and $1 for mantovani is 75c too much IMO. The autobahn was worth the trip.
I think taste is something very relative, and paying $1 for Easy Listening records that the majority of people doesn't like anymore is an excellent score if you like that type of sound. If the records were in Excellent or Near Mint shapes, I'd easily buy them for that price because I enjoy this type of music, especially when needing to focus at work.

zwhita

Post by zwhita » 22 Nov 2017 17:27

Just wondering SoylentMan, were most of these purchased before 2010? I managed to get about 3 of the ones pictured for really cheap at half-price books, but most of them I own which I got from HPB were $3-$7, and that's before they really started raising their prices.
I don't even want to think about what I paid for my Rush and Queen albums, and Dusty in Memphis I got from ebay for $25, so that's a lucky find.
I actually had the best bargain luck with 12 inch dance singles from the late 80's, but none for less than $2. Just can't find deals like this easily in the Dallas area anymore.