Budget record collecting

name that tune
E41877
United States of America

Re: Budget record collecting

Post by E41877 » 03 Aug 2019 23:45

Bubble Puppy was a psych rock band from San Antonio, TX in the late 1960s. Their first album is worth some $ if you can find one. Great record. Here is a pic of a still sealed copy from my personal collection.
Attachments
076A27D1-541F-4741-A7A0-BA6D0B0A2F78.jpeg
(368.29 KiB) Downloaded 100 times

E41877
United States of America

Post by E41877 » 03 Aug 2019 23:53

vinyl master wrote:
03 Aug 2019 01:24
That said, I've learned a bit about psychedelic music through him and I can appreciate the various styles, arrangements and instruments used...The psychedelic stuff on vinyl can go for big $$$, too, so something to keep an eye out for when thrifting or record shopping...I'll usually buy anything on an unusual label by an unusual-sounding artist...One never knows what they might find! :wink:
This is true. I sometimes find this kind of stuff when I’m record digging.

E41877
United States of America

Post by E41877 » 04 Aug 2019 01:42

Mrs Ritchie Valens
United States of America

Post by Mrs Ritchie Valens » 05 Aug 2019 16:28

My library has records that you can get for 25 sents. I had bought a couple of records there not to long ago.

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 06 Aug 2019 04:37

Mrs Ritchie Valens wrote:
05 Aug 2019 16:28
My library has records that you can get for 25 sents. I had bought a couple of records there not to long ago.
For THAT price, you might want to go there again and keep checking back from time to time... :-k

Mrs Ritchie Valens
United States of America

Post by Mrs Ritchie Valens » 06 Aug 2019 16:35

Yeah, but most of the records are of stuff I'm not really interested in. Most of the records are classical music. There's nothing wrong with classical music, I'm a singer of it after all. But, I'm not just going to buy something for the sake of buying something because of the price.

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 06 Aug 2019 17:14

You should never buy records (or anything) just because it is cheap. The better stuff demands more patience. In my city, Value Village has 12 inch records at $1.99. I am reasonably selective. I find stuff every so often that amazes me. My biggest thrill is when I find rare enough goodies in the regular bin for $1.99 and there is common drek on the expensive counter for $5.99 and up. If they see "Beatles" or "Rolling Stones", they jack the price to over $10 regardless of condition or even if the right record is inside. I find 50's jazz, C&W, R 'n' R in reasonable shape often enough to keep me coming back. I once found over 30 quadraphonic LPs in once played condition. I recently found Tommy Chong's first single for 99 cents in playable shape. I don't have the wonderful shops that VM has in Detroit, but I still find stuff to waste money on. As a teenager living with my grandma, I was at the local used record store at 14 y.o. a bit too long once. She came in and patiently waited. She started to get a bit miffed and said so to the shop keeper, who also happened to be a young grandma, like mine. I was going through the 25 cent singles. The lady told my grandma to be thankful that I was spending my money on records instead of drukqs and that some would be worth money some day. Grandma never complained about my records ever again. I was never on the streets and never stayed out late or got in big trouble back then. I did have to buy needles often though.

Mrs Ritchie Valens
United States of America

Post by Mrs Ritchie Valens » 06 Aug 2019 21:07

Yeah that's true. You should never buy something just to buy it/ how cheep it is.
I loved your story about your Grandma.

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 07 Aug 2019 05:16

Yeah, I remember those days, CV...I've stayed too long at the record stores before, and I've had family members get miffed about the records, BUT it's one hobby that has kept me out of trouble and away from the drukqs! And what's wrong with having fun with a stack of singles...Some people do the baseball card thing...Some do the Happy Meal toys...Some did the Beanie Babies a few years back...Some still do! My own grandma happened to save scraps of fabric and bits of yarn to make quilts...I just happen to collect records! What's so wrong about THAT, I say??? :?

DasherF
United States of America

Post by DasherF » 07 Aug 2019 12:59

...not a thing, vm...obviously, we all do. Parameters are different for everyone...some know what they want when they see it, others love all the music they can get their hands on for that price...no one's wrong, nor "righter" than the other...said it before in the bike biz..."different spokes for different folks..."

Big B5515
long player
long player

Post by Big B5515 » 09 Aug 2019 03:13

Just thought I'd follow up on a couple previous posts, as I had a chance to bake a couple warped 78s, and revisit the Salvation Army store. The 78s cooked up flat and playable even if the Ray McKinley side shown is a bit dull sounding. Things were still as I left them at the salvation army so I grabbed the other copy of Surfin' Bird which despite it's looks, actually cleaned up and sounded decent, and another oddly named group, the Yellow Balloon, I had left behind, which turned out to be a bit of a bust to my tastes.
IMG_2236.JPG
(161.63 KiB) Downloaded 49 times

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 10 Aug 2019 14:19

Well, maybe a bust to your tastes, but good psychedelic pop for me, B...Actually, if you don't dig it, you could send it to me... :mrgreen: I have a CD of Yellow Balloon's work, but I don't own any vinyl by them yet! :( By the way, Yellow Balloon's biggest hit was a song titled, ironically, "Yellow Balloon"...And to really get crazy on you, the b-side was a tune called "Noollab Wolley", which is "Yellow Balloon" SPELLED BACKWARDS AND PLAYED BACKWARDS!! :D

It was actually recorded by Dean Torrence of Jan & Dean fame first...AND it was issued under the "Jan & Dean" name, although Jan, being in that recent auto accident at the time, wasn't even ON the record! The Yellow Balloon version became more popular, becoming a Top 30 hit, while Jan & Dean's version just bubbled under the Hot 100...

By the way, if you ever want to find out all of this chart info I spout out, it's absolutely worth it to get a copy of Joel Whitburn's "Top Pop Singles" book here...

https://www.amazon.com/Top-Singles-1955 ... 0898202051

These are also essential...All the information you'll ever need here, too...

https://www.amazon.com/Billboard-Book-T ... DHS4SGAGE6

https://www.amazon.com/Bubbling-Under-B ... oks&sr=1-1

They are my go-to guides for any chart-related info I could ever want to know about!

Keep in mind that you might be able to find cheaper versions of those books by buying used...I keep a look out at the used book stores, thrift stores and online for any cheap copies of Joel's books and also, the various record guides that have come out over the years...Your local library may also have those in the reference section, or you can request them...

Big B5515
long player
long player

Post by Big B5515 » 10 Aug 2019 16:23

I'll set Yellow Balloon record aside for the next package I send your way, It sounded to have been played a few times with a less than serviceable stylus, but still was listenable if played with a conical.

Mrs Ritchie Valens
United States of America

Post by Mrs Ritchie Valens » 18 Aug 2019 16:13

Vinyl Master,
Intresting story about the Yellow Balloon record!!

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 15 Sep 2019 11:00

So, I went in to one of my local thrift shops again (My once-"10 cent" hangout) on a whim and what do I see??? They renovated the place a bit and now, instead of a small section for records, they have two or three rubber totes full of records, along with a 10-cubby shelf jammed with more records, so I decide to investigate and came away with these interesting finds for 25 cents each, slightly more but not a dealbreaker...

1. BING CROSBY, GRACE KELLY & FRANK SINATRA Soundtrack to "High Society" (Capitol)
2. IGNIAZIO PRIVITERA Sicilia mia Sicilia (Sorriso) (Looks to be a compilation of Sicilian songs)
3. DICK SCHORY'S NEW PERCUSSION ENSEMBLE Music For Bang Baaroom And Harp (RCA Victor)
4. THE FOLKSWINGERS (A supergroup featuring Glen Campbell & The Dillards?) 12 String Guitar! (World Pacific)
5. JO STAFFORD & GORDON MACRAE Memory Songs (Capitol)
6. ROSEMARY CLOONEY Mixed Emotions (Harmony)
7. THE NORMAN LUBOFF CHOIR Apasionada (RCA Victor) (Bought mainly for the cover!)
8. THE DON ELLIOTT OCTET feat. CANDIDO Jamaica Jazz (ABC-Paramount)
9. KEN NORDINE & VARIOUS ARTISTS Sounds In Space (RCA Victor)
10. REX SMITH Sooner Or Later (Columbia) (I've seen this album before, but I'd always passed it up...I have a soft spot for 70's pop, so I thought I'd revisit it...)
11. ENGELBERT HUMPERDINCK Last of The Romantics (Epic) (I'm not much a fan of his, but his cover of Stevie Wonder's "Love's In Need Of Love" intrigued me...)
12. SIR JULIAN GOULD The 13 Fingers Of Sir Julian (RCA Victor)
13. NAT KING COLE AND HIS TRIO/GEORGE KINGSTON Early Recordings (Wyncote)
14. GENE MCDANIELS Hit After Hit (Liberty)
15. BEN SWEETLAND "I Can": The Key To Life's Golden Secrets (Success Motivation Institute) (An interesting motivational album...)
16. RON STEELE Chicago Guitar (Ovation)
17. HENRY FONDA, BUD GREENSPAN The Voices Of The 20th Century (Coral)
18. MIKE OLDFIELD Tubular Bells (Atlantic) (I never pass a good copy of this one up when I see one cheap...)
19. PRIMO PEOPLE Primo People (Capitol) (Looks to be some more 70's sunshine pop...)
20. VARIOUS ARTISTS All About Rain (Capitol Custom) (Looks like a promotional comp for U.S. Royal Tires)
21. WAYNE NEWTON Change Of Heart (20th Century Fox)

I also picked up what looks like a homemade record of someone's wedding...

And then the following 78's...

22. HAZEL SCOTT Fascinating Rhythm/The Man I Love (Decca)
23. MAYNARD FERGUSON What's New?/The Hot Canary (Capitol)
24. THE AIR CHECK ORCHESTRA Jazz Compilation (Air Check)
25. EDMUNDO ROS & HIS ORCHESTRA Flying Flutes - Samba/Chile Sauce - Samba (London promo)
26. ROSEMARY CLOONEY & JIMMY BOYD Dennis The Menace/Little Josey (Columbia)

and then the following 45's...

27. PATSY CLINE She's Got You/Strange (Decca)
28. PERRY COMO Wanted/Look Out The Window (RCA Victor)
29. BOBBY VINTON Roses Are Red/You And I (Epic) (w/ picture sleeve)
30. GUY MITCHELL Singing The Blues/Crazy With Love (Columbia)
31. and 32. Two promotional 45's for Milpath, a tranquilizer drug reportedly used against seizures...

Against, the pickings never fail to be as fascinating as Hazel Scott's rhythm! By the way, speaking of Hazel (the first African-American woman to host her own TV show??? :shock: ), she apparently played with Charles Mingus??? Here's a little primer on her...

Anyway, another cool lot of records... 8)