Budget record collecting

name that tune
cary114
United States of America

Re: Budget record collecting

Post by cary114 » 09 Jan 2019 03:39

Vinyl Master Whoopee That is a whole lot of fun and listening pleasure.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 09 Jan 2019 03:51

Tinkaroo wrote:
08 Jan 2019 21:45
That was quite a haul of records vinyl master, and quite a bit of country too! =D>

Yes, Carroll Baker was born in Bridgewater, Nova Scotia, Canada. She was called Canada's First Lady of Country and is a multiple Juno and Order of Canada winner. She was on tour this past fall doing a gospel and hits tour. Her father was a fiddler.

Bridgewater is not far from the birthplace of Hank Snow in Liverpool.
I knew there was a Canadian connection, Tink...Thanks for pointing it out...Here she is with the great Conway Twitty...

Hey, Tink...Being that Hank Snow, Anne Murray and Carroll Baker were all born in Nova Scotia, have you ever visited their birthplaces? :-k
Last edited by vinyl master on 09 Jan 2019 04:11, edited 1 time in total.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 09 Jan 2019 04:10

cary114 wrote:
09 Jan 2019 03:39
Vinyl Master Whoopee That is a whole lot of fun and listening pleasure.
Exactly, cary114...If you visit the thrift shops as much as I do, you too could have the same listening pleasure...I've been noticing a lot of well-cared-for classic country in the thrift shops and I've been picking up some real classics! I have to thank my dad for introducing the genre to me in the first place! He grew up on a farm and was surrounded by this stuff back in the day...I recognize a lot of the names and I remember watching "The Tommy Hunter Show" with him out of Windsor, Canada here back in the 80's...He liked all the good country music from the 50's to the 80's...Sometimes, he'd tune into the new stuff, but was real fond of the old stuff...

Here is a "comeback" special Tommy Hunter did in 2003 to commemorate his 27 years on the air...

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 09 Jan 2019 04:35

Vinyl Master, you sure know how to find'em. I like classic country as well. I wish the thrift stores here in Ottawa were as good. All I see is the same beat up undesirable titles. I actually stopped going to most of the stores here as it wasn't worth the time. However, I had a first last week. I found a Blue Note Stanley Turrentine - The Look Of Love. There was also an LP of Bobby Orr and some 50's jazz on Columbia. It is time for me to make another trip to Ikea for shelving, and figger out where to stick it. Do I really need the bed? Naw...

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 09 Jan 2019 04:54

circularvibes wrote:
09 Jan 2019 04:35
It is time for me to make another trip to Ikea for shelving, and figger out where to stick it. Do I really need the bed? Naw...
Thanks, circularvibes...I guess persistence pays off! :wink:

Now, regarding the bed, who says you can't have the best of both worlds? :wink:

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=84683

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 09 Jan 2019 04:58

circularvibes wrote:
09 Jan 2019 04:35
Vinyl Master, you sure know how to find'em. I like classic country as well. I wish the thrift stores here in Ottawa were as good. All I see is the same beat up undesirable titles. I actually stopped going to most of the stores here as it wasn't worth the time. However, I had a first last week. I found a Blue Note Stanley Turrentine - The Look Of Love. There was also an LP of Bobby Orr and some 50's jazz on Columbia.
I would keep looking, circularvibes...Try to visit as many as you can in Ottawa...The ones where you find rare or unusual titles (Pretty much anything that isn't Mantovani, Lawrence Welk, Ray Conniff, Percy Faith, Andre Kostelanetz, 101 Strings, James Last, or similar...), I would keep going back to...You never know what titles you might find with a little perserverance and patience...Many times I find nothing and then, I go to a different store and voila! Like night and day! :wink:

In fact, how many of these have you been to? :-k

https://www.yelp.ca/search?cflt=thrift_ ... tawa%2C+ON

And have you been here? :-k

http://turningpointmusic.ca/

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 09 Jan 2019 05:15

Turning Point rocks! They are one of my two regular LRS stops. The other is Compact Music. Not much second hand stuff at Compact for my taste, but they carry new records and aren't a major chain. Both shops are extremely helpful and friendly. The Sally Anns in my area have overpriced their stock and it sits six months to a year. Same with St. Vincent de Paul. I used to love St Vincent but they started asking like four to ten dollars for donated Ray Conniff and Lawrence Welk records. Bibles For Missions is lacking in quality stock, but at 49 cents, I usually find a couple. The problem is I know where the donations come from. A LRS drops their unsalable discs off there and then told them how to price it. I wait until they have a big summer sale, they let me in the storage area last year and I found some 78's and LP's for 49 cents each. Plus they are real friendly. The only issue is they close at five pm and I don't get a ride in time. I tend to go to Value Village a lot as my partner is a senior and I get the discount on Tuesdays. I haven't had a real haul in close to a year, but I keep hoping. I am surprised that Christmas didn't bring out a pile of good stuff. Even the garbage room in my building didn't have much like most Christmases.

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 09 Jan 2019 09:45

vinyl master wrote:
09 Jan 2019 03:51
Hey, Tink...Being that Hank Snow, Anne Murray and Carroll Baker were all born in Nova Scotia, have you ever visited their birthplaces? :-k
I have visited the towns, but haven't been to the museums for Hank or Anne yet. I did visit Rita MacNeil's Tea Room in Big Pond, Cape Breton though.

Conway comes in to join her partway through this one.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 09 Jan 2019 10:00

Tinkaroo wrote:
09 Jan 2019 09:45
vinyl master wrote:
09 Jan 2019 03:51
I have visited the towns, but haven't been to the museums for Hank or Anne yet. I did visit Rita MacNeil's Tea Room in Big Pond, Cape Breton though.

Conway comes in to join her partway through this one.
Guess you'll have to add those to your to-do list someday, Tink... :-k

Considering the legend that Anne is, it could be fun to see where she grew up...I found a copy of her album "Straight, Clean & Simple" a while back and it's a good one from the old days...Here's a tune from it with a timeless message...

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 09 Jan 2019 11:33

Anne is one of my idols. I had the luck of seeing her live as a teeneager. She didn't just sing, she interacted with her audience. Drunk hecklers waving lighters shouted out requests after just 3 songs. She said she didn't normally take requests at the beginning of the show but would do what she could. She handled the situation with great diplomacy. While the requests were being yelled out, a young girl shouted out for Hippo In The Bathtub. It was Anne's second encore! She didn't feel well after the show and did not come out for autographs, but she DID send an assistant who took things in to be autographed. I had the Snowbird LP signed. Wish I had not lost it in a move. She is a real class act.

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 09 Jan 2019 11:46

circularvibes wrote:
09 Jan 2019 11:33
Anne is one of my idols. I had the luck of seeing her live as a teeneager. She didn't just sing, she interacted with her audience. Drunk hecklers waving lighters shouted out requests after just 3 songs. She said she didn't normally take requests at the beginning of the show but would do what she could. She handled the situation with great diplomacy. While the requests were being yelled out, a young girl shouted out for Hippo In The Bathtub. It was Anne's second encore! She didn't feel well after the show and did not come out for autographs, but she DID send an assistant who took things in to be autographed. I had the Snowbird LP signed. Wish I had not lost it in a move. She is a real class act.
I saw Anne Murray at Ontario Place once upon a time.

Snowbird written by PEIs Gene MacLellan was one of my mom's favorites. Here is a nice version done by his daughter Catherine who had a hard time even listening to his songs after losing him so early on.

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 09 Jan 2019 12:09

I have her first LP from UNB where she sings to an acoustic guitar. She did A Little Bit Of Soap and another song that escapes me. It came out in '65. I wish it was in better shape but with only 500 pressed, I count myself lucky to have it.

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 09 Jan 2019 12:22

You don't see that one listed in her discography. They have "What About Me" from 1968 as her first.

I do have quite a few of her early records.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 17 Jan 2019 00:02

OK, I didn't mention this earlier, but I picked up another batch of cheap records...Different Sally Ann close to me, but more country and other stuff...

1. RAY STEVENS Just For The Record (Warner Bros.)
2. THE SANDPIPERS Softly (A&M)
3. JOE CAIN & HIS ORCHESTRA The Great Hits Of The 60's (Time)
4. VARIOUS ARTISTS Country Colors (Columbia House)
5. LOBO Calumet (Bell)
6. KELSO HERSTON AND THE GUITAR KINGS Country & Western: The Great Hits Of The 50's (Time)
7. CONWAY TWITTY Clinging To A Saving Hand & Steal Away (MCA) (His gospel album, which I hadn't heard...I have stuff from him, back when he was just a rockabilly singer named Harold Jenkins...His real name, by the way!)
8. DEL REEVES The Del Reeves Album (United Artists) (I always liked his hits "Girl On The Billboard" and "Looking At The World Through A Windshield", so I thought I'd take a chance again...)
9. DEL REEVES Gettin' Any Feed For Your Chickens? (United Artists)
10. TAMMY WYNETTE Tammy Wynette (Harmony Stereo)
11. HANK SNOW Sings Your Favorite Country Hits (RCA Victor)
12. HANK SNOW Heartbreak Trail: A Tribute To The Sons Of The Pioneers (RCA Victor)
13. LOBO The Best Of Lobo (Big Tree) (My mom turned me onto his stuff...She's always been a fan!)
14. BOBBY RYDELL Born With A Smile (Pickwick International) (This is a nice one... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzUNH610xmQ )
15. LESLEY GORE Boys, Boys, Boys (Mercury) (Another one of my mom's favorites...)
16. THE REALISTICS Today's Greatest Hits (Columbia House)
17. THE OSMOND BROTHERS We Sing You A Merry Christmas (Metro) (Remember when they were on Andy Williams' show? Here they are with Julie Andrews... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnmbst2nuyg )
18. VARIOUS ARTISTS Ronco Presents A Christmas Gift (Ronco) (The neat thing about this Christmas album is that the inside folds out into a nativity scene...)
19. LOBO Of A Simple Man (Big Tree)
20. HANK SNOW The Southern Cannonball (RCA Camden)
21. THE BROWNS The Best Of The Browns (RCA)
22. HANK LOCKLIN The Girls Get Prettier (RCA Victor) (Hank's just smiling away on the cover of this one, surrounded by seven pretty girls...Another favorite country singer of my dad's...)
23. BUCK OWENS & HIS BUCKAROOS You're For Me (Pickwick 33)
24. RAY STEVENS Unreal!! (Barnaby)

Again, another interesting stash...

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 17 Jan 2019 14:16

Those look like some nice finds vinyl master! =D>

I have the Best of Lobo LP. He had some memorable songs.