Budget record collecting

name that tune
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Re: Budget record collecting

Post by vinyl master » 29 Jul 2018 07:55

You oughta hear Joni's original take, too! Quite different! :)

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 29 Jul 2018 09:51

vinyl master wrote:Nice catches there, Tink...On the Matthews Southern Comfort LP, is it the UK version on UNI, the U.S. version on Decca or the Canadian version on Pickwick? :-k There are slight differences, as in added tracks and different tracklistings...This song of theirs happens to be a favorite of mine...

Thanks vinyl master!

My version is on Pickwick, and the whole album sounds great, but have to agree their version of Woodstock is pure magic! 8)

I've also got the Joni Mitchell version of the song too and like it as well as the version by Crosby,Stills and company. Matthews version is pretty hard to top and they take it to another level. Any song that takes you away to another place as this one does is special. =D>

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 30 Jul 2018 07:14

IndigoRock2001 wrote: I'll find out EVERYTHING about Coltraine before I'm done.
indi
Then I guess you know about this one...A "lost" album and a recent release!

https://www.discogs.com/John-Coltrane-B ... e/12196312

I see it's a big hit and you owe it to yourself to check it out! =D>

super scope

Post by super scope » 30 Jul 2018 19:27

Tinkaroo wrote:
Kurt45 wrote:Like in the video, I collect almost exclusively from the thrift shop and from $1 bins at LP stores. I take a chance on a lot of records because they are only $1, and I've discovered a lot of music that I wouldn't have if it had been priced at $5 or more.

Our Salvation Army raised their prices from 99¢ to $1.99 last year, and that has slowed down my collecting a bit. At $2, I tend to think twice, especially when I'm holding a stack of records and looking at spend $50-60. I look things up on my phone in the store to find out more about them.
Unfortunately most of the records at places like the Salvation Army are in such poor shape they may not be worth even looking at for 2 dollars apiece. They are kind of shooting themselves in the foot.
For real! Goodwill also. I have seen the same records (junk) on the same shelves for many months.For 2.00, they are getting rid of nothing!I told the people working there that they should just give them away, maybe 3 per customer as a "Goodwill"gesture. Better then them rotting on the shelf and maybe people will find something they like that they never thought they would!

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 31 Jul 2018 05:29

I once talked with the manager of a Sally Ann that I used to frequent. I told her that increasing the price to almost $2 and individually pricing some based solely on recognisable titles was causing most donated records being passed over. I also said they needed to weed out the shelves more than once a year. I was told bluntly, and quite rudely that they didn't have the staff to do such things and if I didn't like it, I could shop elsewhere. So I did! I haven't been back in almost 2 years. Sometimes it is too much work to find a small bargain or a new musical treasure at these shops. I frequent the Value Villages and do much better. I stopped going to the St. Vincent de paul stores for the outrageous pricing schemes as well. I know they are a charity, but they do get greedy at times. I like another chain called Bibles For Missions Thrift Store as well. They are cheaper and I might spend only 50 cents on an LP, but I rarely feel cheated. I have also found other useful household stuff at great prices there. Now, if I moved closer to Vinyl Master, I would need more shelves! Wait, I already do...

super scope

Post by super scope » 31 Jul 2018 06:02

Yes,some places are greedy with their prices. I know (I think)most goes to charity but
they get the stuff for nothing. Some places are over full of stuff so you would think they would price it to sell instead of trying to get top dollar for stuff.I have noticed lots of things on shelves for a pretty long time...and they don't really mark them down to get rid of and make room for new stuff. I think most don't care...if it sells it sells!
I have picked up many items and tried to guess the price....wow! Way off on a lot of things.
Lot of things that people would just toss...I guessed, maybe 2.00 nope..8.00! Who is pricing this stuff...happens a lot!! People going there for a deal on someone else's discards.....c'mon, price it right and get rid of it.....NEXT!

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 31 Jul 2018 07:46

I think I may need more shelves...I went to another thrift store today...on a whim...And what did I find but boxes and boxes of new records...21 LP's and 17 45's later, I spent less than $7.00 for the whole lot...My favorite find was an almost pristine copy of The Beatles' "Help" on Capitol...Made the $7.00 worth it! :D

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 31 Jul 2018 08:59

vinyl master wrote:I think I may need more shelves...I went to another thrift store today...on a whim...And what did I find but boxes and boxes of new records...21 LP's and 17 45's later, I spent less than $7.00 for the whole lot...My favorite find was an almost pristine copy of The Beatles' "Help" on Capitol...Made the $7.00 worth it! :D
Some would think we are all in need of some "Help"! :lol:

That sounds like a pretty good deal vinyl master!

Getting back to what some of the recent posters have said it makes sense for the thrift stores to keep their prices low and to weed out some of the trashed and unplayable records and bin them.

If someone donated a shirt which was half eaten by moths, would they put it out for sale? The same should apply to records. A severely scratched record isn't worth 1 cent, and pricing it at $2 is absurd. As some have mentioned and most of us have experienced, that same trashed record will sit there for years unless someone who has no sense of what is playable or not gets suckered into buying it. As my friend Mr. T would say "I pity the fool".

billshurv
long player
long player

Post by billshurv » 31 Jul 2018 10:54

Back in the 80s second hand shops would do effectively a dutch auction on records. They would start at £10, then after two weeks drop to 8 and so on until they hit the £1 bin. I still have a lot with the large price sticker with all the adjustments on. That seems to be a logical way to do it.

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 31 Jul 2018 14:04

vinyl master wrote:I think I may need more shelves...I went to another thrift store today...on a whim...And what did I find but boxes and boxes of new records...21 LP's and 17 45's later, I spent less than $7.00 for the whole lot...My favorite find was an almost pristine copy of The Beatles' "Help" on Capitol...Made the $7.00 worth it! :D
Oh and I also picked up copies of Dean Martin's "A Winter Romance" and some great jazz from Dave Brubeck ("Last Set At Newport"), Bud Shank ("Michelle") (a second copy, but I love the cover and it was in such good shape!) and The Eddie Higgins Trio ("Soulero")...

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 01 Aug 2018 21:17

billshurv wrote:Back in the 80s second hand shops would do effectively a dutch auction on records. They would start at £10, then after two weeks drop to 8 and so on until they hit the £1 bin. I still have a lot with the large price sticker with all the adjustments on. That seems to be a logical way to do it.
I would like to see this kind of sale for used records except for all the inept people that don't know how to handle records who will of course want to check the condition. The only way this would work for me is if the records were graded by someone who knows how and then the discs are sealed or kept somewhere protected from grimy, gritty thrift shop customers' hands. And oh yeah, make sure the idiots who steal the nice inner sleeves from stuff they don't like, such as classical LP's, thereby devalueing some sweet vinyl finds. I collect quad records and once watched a guy take the sleeves from about a dozen UK quad Angel pressings and a few box sets, only to put them on common 80's pop titles and walk away. So the store sold me one LP that day instead of about 20. I wonder how that sits with the store managers?

billshurv
long player
long player

Post by billshurv » 02 Aug 2018 00:19

whereas I won't pay for a sealed record unless it's very cheap.

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 02 Aug 2018 01:33

billshurv wrote:whereas I won't pay for a sealed record unless it's very cheap.
I am curious if having a local trustworthy record dealer grading the discs before sealing might change your opinion. I know some thrift shops exist on volunteer efforts from the local community. Perhaps if these charities were to ask the local record dealers for grading Help, or at least to offer suggestions as to what is truly more desirable than the regular crap. I would certainly be more willing to buy that way. Perhaps also, if after paying for the record, it might come with a guarantee of satisfacion for the premium paid. I only suggest this as one local thrift shop here actually has a dealer who donates regularly and offers suggestions and the store now has records at differing prices, but at least it is based on condition more so now that they had a bit of education on grading.

billshurv
long player
long player

Post by billshurv » 02 Aug 2018 08:32

I doubt it. I would rather look at it myself. Plus with a vacuum rcm I can recover most things. I don;t think there is clear understanding of any of the grading systems across buyers and sellers personally. Plus some of my best finds have been a few pennies and a risk purchase.

Something like a classical box set I know will have been rarely played. If say 8 LPs the last one maybe never!

mrw00ds

Post by mrw00ds » 03 Aug 2018 10:40

billshurv wrote: Something like a classical box set I know will have been rarely played. If say 8 LPs the last one maybe never!
A few years ago (from the local Oxfam shop) I picked up the Decca Wagner "Ring" cycle (22 LPs) for 50 quid in the original hefty wooden presentation box. The only side out of the 44 with any apppreciable surface noise was the one with The Ride of the Valkyries on it, which makes me wonder if that was the only bit that the previous owner ever played!

The rest are spectacular; I also had the Blu Ray Audio transfer of the complete cycle on one disc and these LPs wiped the floor with it...those 1960s Decca cutting engineers certainly knew what they were doing =D> =D> =D> I ended up selling the Blu Ray! :lol: Whether you like Solti's in-yer-face conducting or not there's a "shock and awe" about the sound of this set that was somehow squashed by the digital remastering.

Also, and this for me is more serious, some of the original tapes had deteriorated (how was that allowed to happen???) so the digital version used some alternative takes that were in storage, i.e., not the takes selected and approved by the conductor and producer. A travesty. Avoid.