Post by billshurv » 25 Jul 2018 09:39

I have 6 kids, and therefore claim the glutton crown :P

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Re: Budget record collecting

Post by Tinkaroo » 25 Jul 2018 11:12

Even though some budget record excursions prove to be fruitless, occasionally you discover some gems or make some new discoveries.

At a $1 per record it's worth it to take a chance on some new albums or artists you might not have tried out before. Sure there are lots of what some might consider undesirable records that you have to sort through, and some in poor shape but the occasional gems make it worth the search and that is part of the fun. Plus you often get a good laugh at some of what you see! :lol:

IndigoRock2001

Post by IndigoRock2001 » 25 Jul 2018 18:26

vinyl master wrote:
IndigoRock2001 wrote:I'd love to know the kinds of things you picked when (in your words) the record bins were far stranger! =D>
k
I sure wish I could figure out how to post pictures in the post! I'd love to show them to you as well as just telling you about them. Anyway some of my best picks were (I'll only mention a few of the best) Kooky 77 sunset strip (this is just crazy, it's Ed Burns in character as Kooky singing stuff written for him which was clearly the suits idea of hip crazy slang of the day.) White noise an electric storm in hell, This starts with the sounds of an orgy, the music is 1969 vintage electronica all with spiced tape and loops. It grows on you actually I really like it. It's so odd/bad though you (and I have) can clear a room at the end of a party by putting it on, people just flee. Here's the Brailettes. It's a group of blind girls, doing early 60's Rock, pretty unlistenable so bad, but the concept just kills and I love the name of the group. The Confessions of Dr. Dream, Kevin Ayers. This has an opening which I describe as the musical equivelant of just finding out you have cancer. I mentioned it to a musician and he said "You actually have that!!??" turned out it has a following among musicians. They think it's really "seminal". This next one isn't that strange but I really love it. it's one of my favorite finds. Gay Gordons, Jim Cameron and his scottish country dance band. Apperantly the Gay Gordons are a traditional set of songs, if I'm ever sad I can just put this on and be cheered right up. The Bab Ballads and cautionary tales. This is an album of short cautionary stories for children, but not for children. "The lion made a sudden stop, he let the dainty morsel drop. But the lion having reached his head, the miserable child was dead." I just love this!! And if I had any children I would make it reaquired listening. Well those are some of the top finds, I know as soon as I post this I'll remember some odd just increadible one I HAVE to tell you about. But for now that gives you an idea of how the bins used to be. Maybe they still are, but I doubt it. There are just too many collectors like me who will really go for anything truely odd. There somehow didn't used to be. Right now I'm making a huge switch from Indy Rock to Jazz. I'm listening to nothing but John Coltraine, It's upsetting to me since I just sold the farm collecting the Indy Rock, and now there are SO MANY Coltraine albums alone that I literally simply don't have the money for them, but I'm spending next months rent, and eating nothing but potatos to buy Coltraine albums, so far I have (well it started with) Duke Ellington and John Coltraine, a limited edition on purple vinyl. Then Blue Traine, which I happen to be listening to at this very moment. Cosmic Music John Coltrain and Alice Coltrain (assuming that's his wife) I'll find out EVERYTHING about Coltraine before I'm done. I'm planning on reading a few biographies of him. When I have an obsession it's so complete that I consume everything possible about that person, place or thing. There must be at least one movie about Coltraine and I'll find out what it is and watch it. I just immerse myself in the object of my obsession. The thing is that, albums I was lusting and drooling over last week, I may never listen to algain, because the obsession has changed. Also got Infinity, Stellar Regions, and there are some more odd ones he did. When I first heard Cosmic Music (yesterday) I said to myself "I knew you had it in you" This is 'experimental' to say the very least!. After hearing what sounded like 'dinner jazz' with Duke Ellington and Coltraine, I knew if this guy was a geniious he had more than that in him. And he does!!.
Also just a few days ago I was telling a friend how MUCH I hate jazz. Now I'm listening to it and enjoying it. I always try to force myself to listen to things I think I hate, over and over I'll listen to something I hate, thinking there must be something there. Sometimes, there really is, and I find it, then love the thing I thought I hated.
Well I've said too much, I'll excuse myself now. Take care
indi

billshurv
broken record

Post by billshurv » 26 Jul 2018 01:50

I'm going to lead off by saying you probably need to watch that obsession. A tidal subscription might be a good adjunct to the record buying to allow you to sample things! Jazz can get expensive, especially if you get into the blue note catalogue.

having said that, Jazz is odd, it does seem to 'click' with people at some stage going from a hatred or a 'meh' to liking it (although Albert Ayler is still an aquired taste). It's also scary at first as it covers so many styles and such a a long period.

Hopefully after dipping around in it a bit you will start to realise how much it has influenced modern music and start to move further back to understand where Jazz came from and then start to explore the blues and folk music and get an appreciation of how the European settlers bought their instruments over and this in time mutated and mixed with the music of those who had somewhat less choice over being in America.

At this point you suddenly realise you have made the jump to eclectic :)

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 26 Jul 2018 06:39

IndigoRock2001 wrote:
I sure wish I could figure out how to post pictures in the post! I'd love to show them to you as well as just telling you about them.
Hey Indi...Check your PM's...I sent you a message...
IndigoRock2001 wrote:There must be at least one movie about Coltraine and I'll find out what it is and watch it.
Yeah, it's THIS! =D>

https://www.coltranefilm.com/#about

Do not forget about "A Love Supreme", either! :wink:

And there are some beautiful versions of "Naima" out there...
IndigoRock2001 wrote:Also just a few days ago I was telling a friend how MUCH I hate jazz. Now I'm listening to it and enjoying it. I always try to force myself to listen to things I think I hate, over and over I'll listen to something I hate, thinking there must be something there. Sometimes, there really is, and I find it, then love the thing I thought I hated.
Well I've said too much, I'll excuse myself now. Take care
indi
Yeah, I've thought the same things, too, in the past...But, every so often, we must open ourselves up to the things we hate and try to find something to like about them...Which is why I think you will also be a disco fan in no time...Maybe you should dip your toes in with this one!

If you like the man, you should also look for these excellent compilations of his work with others such as Fred Wesley & The JB's, Marva Whitney, Bobby Byrd, Vicki Anderson, Lyn Collins (The Female Preacher) and many more! I have the earlier CD versions, but they're now on vinyl and were reissued a couple of years ago!! :D

https://www.discogs.com/Various-James-B ... se/9333679
https://www.discogs.com/Various-James-B ... e/10058771
https://www.discogs.com/Various-James-B ... se/9411393

Here's another interesting one...

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Funky-S ... se/3735377

One of my favorites he did!

If you're a diehard James Brown fan, THOSE are essential in ANY form!

And if you like those, might I recommend finding a copy of THIS!!

https://www.discogs.com/Curtis-Mayfield ... se/5951698

or the re-released gatefold...

https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/1745291?ev=rb

Fantastic stuff from Curtis...You'll get a good "impression" of his solo work! :lol:

Have fun(k), my friend!! :wink:

JoeE SP9
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 26 Jul 2018 16:46

IndigoRock;
Since you currently have a Coltrane obsession you owe it to yourself to listen to A Love Supreme. My Favorite Things is also IMO something you should hear.

IndigoRock2001

Post by IndigoRock2001 » 26 Jul 2018 17:34

JoeE SP9 wrote:IndigoRock;
Since you currently have a Coltrane obsession you owe it to yourself to listen to A Love Supreme. My Favorite Things is also IMO something you should hear.
I really like A Love Supreme, was listening to it yesterday, and also I was somewhat surprised that My Favorite things is a long take on the song from the Sound of Music. I guess it was current at the time. I just expected this one would be literally his favorite songs. I kind of like it, it takes me right back to the 60's and my early childhood, not a bad thing.
As I mentioned elsewhere I've 'blown' my obsession with Coltrane by listening/sleeping to him overnight. I woke up not wanting his records at all. Hopefully this hasn't messed with my ability to enjoy listening to him. I hadn't gotten to the point yet where I respected Jazz, I still think it all sounds a lot like background music, or what I call wallpaper music. But setting a mood without demanding attention isn't a bad thing at all, in fact it's kind of good for certain times.
indi

IndigoRock2001

Post by IndigoRock2001 » 26 Jul 2018 17:41

vinyl master wrote:
IndigoRock2001 wrote:
I sure wish I could figure out how to post pictures in the post! I'd love to show them to you as well as just telling you about them.
Hey Indi...Check your PM's...I sent you a message...

Now I have to figure out how to check PM's. Sorry I'm kind of obtuse to a lot of things. But thanks for the PM I'm going to look for it right now, and then maybe send some pics of some of my favorite things.
indi

P.S. I don't think it's humanly possible for me to ever be able even to endure Disco, let alone love it. But I will take your word for it that the possibility exists and try to hold my nose and expose myself to some of it. Cheers!

reynolds617
United States of America

Post by reynolds617 » 26 Jul 2018 19:05

Good to have your reasons and take a flier on things, vinylmaster.

For my part I pretty much only buy things I KNOW I'm going to play about 80% of the time. I'm trying to get more into jazz and I'll do a bit of research on Spotify if I hear of something that sounds interesting to make sure I like it before I buy it online.

The time I tend to take chances is the rare occasion I can get to an actual brick and mortar record store. I comb the New Arrivals bin first and go from there. When buying online, I always have a shopping agenda and don't tend to deviate from that. To each his own. My collection is growing, but it's pretty heavily curated; if I know I'm not likely to play a given record, I put it in the "sell" pile. This is for space/storage considerations and so I don't have to weed through a bunch of stuff I'm never going to play if I'm honest.

It'd be cool to have a Michael Fremer-level record collection, but at a certain point it becomes impractical.

His collection is insane, by the way. As is his system. If you haven't seen the video of his listening area, you need to check it out.

IndigoRock2001

Post by IndigoRock2001 » 26 Jul 2018 21:15

I have seen the Michael Fremer video. He also has a record player which cost as much as a house. I liked it when he said his friend turned him on to some $21.000 phono cables, and he decided they were well worth the money and bought them. What possible effect could cables have on the sound to make them worth $21.000. With him, though he's supposed to be a relatively unbiassed reviewer of all things audio, I wonder if a sort of "it's twenty thousand dollars to I can hear the difference" effect. I wonder if he's just trying to have the most expensive stereo in the world, rather than unbiassedly assessing the merits of the various things he tries out. He always seems to decide that the most expensive happens to be the best. He also has a $12.000 tonearm on his record player, I mean REALLY?
indi

reynolds617
United States of America

Post by reynolds617 » 26 Jul 2018 23:50

I’d have to watch it again, but I believe he says it’s a THIRTY thousand dollar tonearm.

Thirty.

Hey, I don’t begrudge him for having an amazing system. He knows his stuff and he’s entertaining. I don’t think he recommends stuff he doesn’t like, but most of the equipment he reviews I couldn’t afford in a million years anyway. I love that he’s a vociferous advocate for the quality of analog audio. He’s a guy I’d love to have dinner with if we’re talking “famous” people. I think it’d be a blast.

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 27 Jul 2018 05:59

Michael Fremer would be absolutely a great guy to talk shop with...But, at some level, his appeal is to people with more dollars than sense...Then again, if you have the $$$ and are bored with your system, why NOT tweak it a bit??? :-k Of course, he can talk of expensive audiophile pressings all he wants...All sides are heard, though, as all of you are commenting on a thread here titled "Budget Record Collecting"...I think there is enough space in the vinyl world to accommodate ANY and ALL views on the subject of buying records! =D>

Remember, just as it's good to know that audiophile pressings exist and you can get good quality by spending a lot of money, you can ALSO get some very good quality by saving a bit of it, too! :mrgreen:

billshurv
broken record

Post by billshurv » 27 Jul 2018 08:49

His previous reference deck was $90k plus $25k for the optional stand. Oddly he always gives best marks to the most expensive equipment...

Note audio reviewer never pay list. Sometimes they never pay at all!

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 29 Jul 2018 00:03

I picked up the following LPs for $3 each:
-Mathews Southern Comfort- Later That Same Year
-Frank Sinatra- Nice N Easy(mono)
-Cher-Cher featuring Gypsys,Tramps and Thieves

I got the following for 50 cents each
-Johnny Horton- Greatest Hits
-Bill Anderson-Don't She Look Good
-Chet Atkins- More of That Guitar Country
-Jack Greene-You Are My Treasure
-Ned Landry-The Girl Left Behind Me
-Bob Wills and His Texas Playboys- In Concert (double album)

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 29 Jul 2018 07:47

Nice catches there, Tink...On the Matthews Southern Comfort LP, is it the UK version on UNI, the U.S. version on Decca or the Canadian version on Pickwick? :-k There are slight differences, as in added tracks and different tracklistings...This song of theirs happens to be a favorite of mine...