Budget record collecting

name that tune
DasherF
United States of America

Re: Budget record collecting

Post by DasherF » 16 Jun 2019 03:31

8) ... Wednesday is senior AND electronic discount day at G'will...

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 16 Jun 2019 03:45

DasherF wrote:
16 Jun 2019 03:31
8) ... Wednesday is senior AND electronic discount day at G'will...
Does that mean hearing aids are on sale? :lol:

DasherF
United States of America

Post by DasherF » 16 Jun 2019 05:38

Whuh? Say a'gin? 8) #-o :lol:
A nice pair of speakers do the trick...

davidsss
long player
long player
Australia

Post by davidsss » 16 Jun 2019 09:42

vinyl master wrote:
15 Jun 2019 18:30
Well, yesterday's finds include a strange mix...But include 6 CD's at 10 cents a pop! Must have been a "special day" at the Sally Ann...I paid close to $4.00 for the 6 CD's, 4 pieces of sheet music, one album and a digital camera and the camera was $2.00! :D

Anyway, the CD's were...

1. Mark Isham's soundtrack for "A River Runs Through It"
2. "Albinoni's Adagios" on the Erato label (23 of his most famous adagios)
3. Nat King Cole "Capitol Collector's Series"
4. Sade "Stronger Than Pride" (I have the tape and the LP, but I never pass up Sade in the thrift store!)
5. Some compilation titled "Kinky Bossa Nova", featuring artists like Bebel Gilberto, Combustible Edison, Cloudberry Jam, Fantastic Everlasting Gobstopper and The Legendary Jim Ruiz Group...
6. George Winston "Linus & Lucy: The Music Of Vince Guaraldi"

The album was a Canadian compilation titled "Beautiful Music" on the Precision label, featuring 70's hits from Rupert Holmes, Burton Cummings, Jennifer Warnes, Anne Murray, Zwol and others...

The sheet music included these four...

1. Ella Mae Morse "The Blacksmith Blues"
2. Redd Stewart "Slow Poke"
3. Ray Smith "Mockin' Bird Hill"
4. The Four Tunes "Sugar Lump"

Again, I never fail to find or discover interesting things at my local thrifts... :-k
Yeah, but what was the $2 camera?

Sally Ann, what a funny term, wonder where it comes from, we call them Opportunity Shops, although we are Aussies so we shorten everything, as such, they are generally called Op Shops.

DS

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 16 Jun 2019 13:52

vinyl master wrote:
16 Jun 2019 01:30
Tinkaroo wrote:
15 Jun 2019 21:05

Seeing how vinyl master is buying all this Canadian content music, we may make him an honorary Canuck. After all he was a Gordie Howe fan and probably Stan Mikita too!
Well, you're gonna hate me, Tink...But, I walked into a different thrift store, my St. Vincent De Paul shop...and well...I'm not as brushed up on the CanCon as you might think...There was a CD copy of Ashley MacIsaac's "Hi! How Are You Today" for sale cheap and I didn't pick it up! #-o When I was looking at the song titles, one stood out to me and probably what you're thinking of me for not buying the CD...

What'd I miss out on??? :-k

Still, there were TONS of classic country CD's and albums, so I picked up the following twelve LP's for cheap...

1. WILLIE NELSON Pretty Paper (Columbia)
2. WILLIE NELSON Half Nelson (Columbia)
3. BRENDA LEE Feels So Right (MCA)
4. DOLLY PARTON Great Balls Of Fire (RCA Victor)
5. BRENDA LEE Sings Top Teen Hits (Decca)
6. PAUL ANKA Diana (ABC-Paramount)
7. JERRY BUTLER Aware Of Love (Vee-Jay)
8. GEORGE JONES 16 Greatest Hits (Starday)
9. GEORGE JONES Golden Hits (Gusto)
10. JEANNIE C. RILEY Sock Soul (Little Darlin')
11. JO BASILE & HIS ORCHESTRA My World (Columbia)
12. BOXCAR WILLIE King Of The Road: 20 Great Tracks (Warwick)

Some bought for the covers, some bought for the music, but all cheap! 11 of the 12 still had their original shrink wrap on them, so a well-cared for collection at any rate! =D>
Sleepy Maggie is the song you should give a listen too.

Those other pickups sound good.

You might also like this by Ron Hynes of Newfoundland

Here are the Cottars from Cape Breton covering Atlantic Blue written by Ron Hynes

Big B5515
long player
long player

Post by Big B5515 » 20 Jun 2019 01:18

Reading a few threads, I got to thinking that I finally had a pick that would qualify for joining this record collecting thread as well, being everything I bought today was either $2 or 50 cents. The two albums were in almost perfect condition, and the Diamond Disc, while having a couple chips ending well before start groove, was the only one in the stack still looking playable, and once cleaned of smoke?, sounded to be only lightly played, listening on an Edison phonograph anyway, these 3 were $2 ea. While the $.50 singles look and sound a bit scratchy, they do not skip or lack fidelity, and as scratches are light, I suspect they might be less obvious with a smaller stylus, or after a few plays. While it has a few lighter scratches as well, for 50 cents, I don't think I have a golden record in my small stack of childrens 78s yet either.
https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... p?id=63062
(Just now figured out how to add image not in gallery to second post without uploading again...I think)

DasherF
United States of America

Post by DasherF » 20 Jun 2019 03:35

Hey, B, could you please pass the info along to those of us (I, for one) who don't know how to put the pics in gallery? I have pics I'd like to put up.

Big B5515
long player
long player

Post by Big B5515 » 20 Jun 2019 05:56

To use a picture you posted in another thread, from the menu beside your name at top, select user control panel, then manage attachments, and then right click desired picture and copy its link. Paste link between [img] (picture symbol on full editor). It's been a while since I've used the gallery, but the same might work too.

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 25 Jun 2019 22:18

Well, I guess I should tell you I picked up a few more oddities and curiosities recently and my curiosity was definitely piqued! On the way back from a long-planned family reunion up north, I stopped at an outdoor antique festival along the way...There were some really unique items there that I saw like this lamp made out of an old bed pan...

...this interesting Kodak poster...

...and this cowboy statue...

The guy selling the Kodak poster had lots of interesting collectibles...I saw a Dick Clark button for $70 and a set of Beatles postcards+a few more from Chubby Checker and others at $20 a card...A little too rich for my blood, but I did come across some interesting records! Most were $5.00 or less, with many being $1.00 or $2.00, so they qualify for my budget thread...The haul is quite a hodgepodge of genres, too...Care to see what I found? :-k

First up is this unusual 3-record disco set of knockoff tunes...

Then, there was this interesting jazz album from Carla Bley...

I also found this album by The Connection...They look to be a Christian group, but they do several covers from the likes of Rare Earth, Kenny Rogers, Bill Withers and Neil Young on here, so I thought that was interesting, to say the least...

This is one of Reba's earlier efforts...

I have "Blade Runner", "Chariots Of Fire" and "Opera Sauvage" among other albums from Vangelis, but I didn't have this one...Could be an intriguing listen...

Here's an interesting Magnavox album that features performers as disparate as Glen Campbell, Peggy Lee, The Raspberries and The Sounds Of The 70's Orchestra!

Another hit album from Dionne Warwick that I didn't have...The title track was written by The Bee Gees, too!

I look for odd Beatles albums and again, I was not disappointed...Something for classical and rock fans alike! :D

I also found these 2 unknown 45's in a stack of various hit singles...

Could be fascinating to hear those, too...

I also love any train-related covers, so this one called out to me...

Finally, speaking of The Beatles, this "Sgt. Pepper's"-inspired atrocity called my name...I have the CD, but was stoked to find it on vinyl...

You really haven't lived until you've heard Leonard Nimoy and William Shatner sing the hits, by the way! =D>

In any case, I hope you like my latest finds...One never knows what they might come across at these places, which is why it makes life so much fun! :)

DasherF
United States of America

Post by DasherF » 25 Jun 2019 23:31

vm, the Golden Throats gets me! I do have Bill Shatner doing "Lucy..."...lawd have musseh...I have a compilation of Shatner and Nimoy on mp3...(wow... ](*,) ](*,) )
I had the screen enlarged when I scrolled down...when the picture came up I hadn't read the caption yet... thinking "vm, SHE can't be in your budget...!" #-o

cary114
United States of America

Post by cary114 » 26 Jun 2019 02:15

VM I think you had way to much fun.

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 26 Jun 2019 04:12

cary114 wrote:
26 Jun 2019 02:15
VM I think you had way to much fun.
Yeah, I usually do... 8-[

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 26 Jun 2019 04:24

Oh, and lest I forget...A good friend of mine known as Big B5515 sent me these from one of his (and my) favorite record shops...I've bought from them many times over the years online and he lives not far away from them...Assumption Records is their name and selling rarities is their game! I have found lots of stuff from them at fair prices that I couldn't find anywhere else...They are not my only go-to record store, but Big B personally sent me these to fill a few holes in my collection...

Thanks again, B...Something will be headed your way hopefully soon one way or the other...I can't tell you when or what, but be on the lookout... :-k

Big B5515
long player
long player

Post by Big B5515 » 04 Jul 2019 04:22

When I checked the Salvation Army store the other day, I noticed a tall stack of records that was not there last visit, so made a point to go back when not busy, and check them out. I found a couple albums of interest that appeared practically unplayed, and an acoustic 78 with a side by a saxophone sextet, the Six Brown Brothers that I was already familiar with from a CD compilation. Not seeing the sign which was once on the wall listing the prices, I asked and someone replied "Big ones are 75 cents, small ones are 50 cents". While I also picked 2 other 78s that were both warped, one, a Spanish title, and on the other, someone must have liked and wore out the song "Red Silk Stockings And Green Perfume" by Ray McKinley , I'm plenty happy with these three for a combined cost of $2 which all played without issue.
IMG_2208.JPG
(61.34 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
I decided to hold off on posting the other two 78s, at least until I have a chance to bake them between two pieces of glass and confirm they are once again flat and playable. At that price, there may be a few other albums on their shelves worth a try as well, the less than pristene ones I passed on thinking they were still priced at $2.

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 05 Jul 2019 06:15

The thrift shops are the places to go, B! And in your area, you've got the Animal Friends at Mountaineer Mall, The Fairmont Rd. Goodwill, The Hunters Way Goodwill, The Ranch Community Store, The Penny Pincher in Fairmont, The Hospice Care Shop in Reedsville, The Sally Ann, and of course, Retro-Tique! :wink: