Why Is Modern Pop Music So Terrible?

name that tune

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Re: Why Is Modern Pop Music So Terrible?

Post by fscl » 06 Feb 2018 17:29

Oversuse, like this:

Kind of an interesting series...... :-k :-k :-k

Fred

AgedAngel

Post by AgedAngel » 07 Feb 2018 07:08

Several posters have mentioned Spotify and Pandora and other music streaming services that just spit a continuous stream of vaguely melodic and rhythmic constructions into the perpetually worn earbuds of the listener. (Yeah, I'm amping up the harshness level there a bit because I'm the sworn enemy of algorithms.)

But this "steady stream" stuff reminds me very much, and distressingly so, of the section of T. H. White's Once and Future King where Arthur has been turned into an ant in order to experience their existence:
He waved his antennae carefully...assuring himself of his new senses, planting his feet squarely in the insect world as if to brace himself in it. ... Then he became conscious of something which had been waiting to be noticed—that there was a noise in his head which was articulate. It was either a noise or a complicated smell, and the easiest way to explain it is to say that it was like a wireless broadcast. It came through his antennae.

The music had a monotonous rhythm like a pulse, and the words which went with it were about June—moon—noon—spoon, or Mammy—mammy—mammy—mammy, or Ever—never, or Blue—true—you. He liked them at first, especially the ones about Love—dove—above, until he found that they did not vary. As soon as they had been finished once, they were begun again. After an hour or two, they began to make him feel sick inside.
'Nuff said.

AA

tckmet
United States of America

Post by tckmet » 07 Feb 2018 08:51

I think this young woman verifies the way modern music is done and relates to the other youtube video posted by fscl.

Tom

https://youtu.be/p0xYagKwUo8

Tonya James

Post by Tonya James » 07 Feb 2018 09:21

Just watched the clip, I agree. Replacing musicians with machines, c'mon? Bland, bland, bland. Not to mention insulting.

I'm not trying to be contentious is any way, I know it's a matter of semantics, but not all 'modern' music is made this way, obviously. I don't see any evidence of it in any of the albums I've seen posted here. We have good ears.

Electronic instruments and music have their place, I sure have my share. but to replace credited musicians with computer generated sounds is, as I said 'insulting', to them and to those who hear it.

billshurv
long player
long player

Post by billshurv » 07 Feb 2018 11:08

So Stockhausen, Cage etc are insulting? Note that Alan Turing is credited with the first music played by a computer! (this has been restored and can be heard here http://blogs.bl.uk/sound-and-vision/201 ... music.html)

AgedAngel

Post by AgedAngel » 07 Feb 2018 11:54

One leitmotiv that seems to crop up in all the analyses of popular music is "human beings crave familiarity". I don't think this is true at all. Oh, perhaps for algorithm-created streams on Pandora, but if familiarity is all there is to popularity, why does the vast panorama of classical music all sound so different?

Even within the same musical period, there are vast differences in feeling, tone, timbre, and harmonic progressions. Nobody would mistake Bach for Scarlatti (or vice versa). And the Venn diagram containing Beethoven and Brahms might intersect at a few points, but there's no mixing them up.

Nor is this cavalcade of differences confined to classical music. Consider the music of the 60s. Every band sounded different. Everyone had their own sound, their own mix, their own hooks. CCR and Blood, Sweat, and Tears similar? Yes and Genesis? Journey and Fleetwood Mac?

It seems that this craving for familiarity -- hence, all pop sounds the same -- is something new. Maybe the listening audience has been dumbed down. Maybe they don't want anything on their streaming feed to distract them from getting a new high score in Candy Crush.

I might add that, as a musician, I've been pretty much turned off by the pop acts I hear on TV. Not only are the mixes pretty much the same, but my ear is telling me that the melodic patterns and the harmonic progressions are virtually identical (far beyond that "millennial whoop" described in that Thoughty2 video). We seem to have entered an era that hearkens back to the "modal melody" period of Medieval music, in which composers did not so much write melodies as assemble them from preordained Lego-block clusters of notes, the selection of which varied depending on what kind of composition was being created.

Give me that old-fashioned rock and roll.

AA

Tonya James

Post by Tonya James » 07 Feb 2018 12:13

billshurv wrote:So Stockhausen, Cage etc are insulting? Note that Alan Turing is credited with the first music played by a computer! (this has been restored and can be heard here http://blogs.bl.uk/sound-and-vision/201 ... music.html)
Hey Man, not at all. I was just referring to the clip referenced. If actual musicians are being credited on an album when electronics have replaced them, then yes.

I must admit I had to look up Stockhausen, Cage and Turing before making a reply. No offence intended to electronic musicians and electronic music, I love my Techno, Trance and House.

I picked up Eberhard Schoener 'Meditation' 1973 - 1982 Re-Issue Kuckuck Records, W. Germany, for $2 in an op shop two days ago, not mint, but pretty good.

I posted on 'Did You Buy Any Vinyl Today/', if ya wanna check it out.

Cheers Man.

ralphrexfan

Post by ralphrexfan » 07 Feb 2018 12:27

To contribute one of many reasons pop music has gone to the toilet:

Families have given more and more power to decide how money on entertainment is spent to their children. What's profitable became based on what a younger, much younger audience wanted. This market change wasn't fully tapped into as it grew. Then suddenly in the second half of the nineties the music industry shifted gears and focused on children. Grunge turned to post-grunge, which unlike post-punk, and post-rock is not a term of creativity, punk turned to pop-punk, goth turned to emo, r&b turned to boy bands and pretty girls, etc. Watered down music with very little artistic merit took over. The adolescents and young adults of today grew up on this music further increasing the demand for vapid garbage.

But let's be honest, while talent, creativity, and artistry were exponentially more present in pop music decades ago, popular music has always been relatively boxed in with similar structures and genres. There's a lot more to music than rock and soul, and very little of what's good ever stood a chance of breaking into the mainstream.

tckmet
United States of America

Post by tckmet » 07 Feb 2018 13:05

billshurv wrote:So Stockhausen, Cage etc are insulting? Note that Alan Turing is credited with the first music played by a computer! (this has been restored and can be heard here http://blogs.bl.uk/sound-and-vision/201 ... music.html)

In defense of Tonya James I do not think he was putting down computer generated music billshurv but was in referance to the youtube clip that I had posted and in the video there is a disclaimer and that the musician was not putting anyone down but was stating how a real musician is replaced by a prefab sound.

I agree that it takes talent and artistic abilities required to use a computer as another musical medium to produce music.

But I digress and that modern pop/country music is prefabbed ear candy for the sheepeoples and it is driven by cold corporate greed for the most part just my gut feeling and belief. I have posted the clip again enjoy!

https://youtu.be/p0xYagKwUo8

Tonya James

Post by Tonya James » 07 Feb 2018 23:12

Hey Folks, just another quick thought. If you wish to determine where the power lies within any society, look to the most prominent buildings. Castles, Churches, now Corporate Skyscrapers. We are at the mercy of commerce. Just look at all the other disposable products on the market, not much is made to last these days, it's not good for profits. Why should music be any different.

tckmet
United States of America

Post by tckmet » 08 Feb 2018 11:17

Oh so how True!

Sad thing is that relationships/family are in the same boat. :(
Last edited by tckmet on 08 Feb 2018 11:19, edited 1 time in total.

billshurv
long player
long player

Post by billshurv » 08 Feb 2018 15:07

BTW can anyone from the other side of the pond explain the genre 'Americana'. And is its use considered good or bad?

@tkmet: I know it was a wind up. But for all the people who think that protools and autotune signalled the end for 'good' popular music I still maintain that there was a lot of dross around in every decade since the term was coined and over 40s still think the yoof listen to rubbish.

There are however inflection points that made things worse rather than better, such as autotune, Stock Aitken and waterman, the Lord-alge brothers etc.

Nigel Gomez
Trinidad & Tobago

Post by Nigel Gomez » 08 Feb 2018 21:42

Previous generations often say that modern pop music sucks. It's a vicious cycle. All generations have good and bad pop music.

rewfew
long player
long player

Post by rewfew » 09 Feb 2018 00:00

billshurv wrote:BTW can anyone from the other side of the pond explain the genre 'Americana'. And is its use considered good or bad?
Well I thought this title was conjured up on your side of the pond. You all have festivals of such, which is great. But I think it has to do with roots r&r, rock a billy, blues, soul, surf, zydeco, country western swing and such. Good old music played by real people for real people to have a real good time. No millennial whoops allowed. Wohh-oh! wohh-oh! ohh-woh! ohh-woh! No choreographed dancing with flash pots and pyrotechnics. Singers lip syncing.