Why Is Modern Pop Music So Terrible?

name that tune
rewfew
long player
long player

Re: Why Is Modern Pop Music So Terrible?

Post by rewfew » 07 Jun 2018 15:35

Little wonder Johnny Lennon sarcastically mocked Sir Paul's predisposition for "Silly Little Love Songs", juxtaposing new lyrics, "You think people would've had enough of Paul McCartney". That was kind of mean in old Johnny's case to his old mate, but he was kind of known to be ars-castic.

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America
Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

Post by JDJX » 07 Jun 2018 17:47

"Silly' songs are one thing... we have always had some through the ages.
The same thing goes for bad songs in general

However, one thing the Beatles and Lennon/McCartney, etc, etc never did was to use the same musical hook / cliche in almost every song.

BTW, music is far from the only things /industries that millennials (world wide) are said to have killed or, are in the process of killing... Google it.
Evidently, they seem to think that they have it the very worst of any previous generation in history.

No wonder that that don't care what there music really sounds like and what they use to listen to it .
They are obviously a very troubled generation.

They are the first generation to grow up with the internet and never learned to separate fact from fiction on it... or think for themselves.
They are indeed troubled.

I apologize for this but, it goes to the heart of the reason for their bad music

rewfew
long player
long player

Post by rewfew » 07 Jun 2018 18:41

JDJX wrote:"Silly' songs are one thing... we have always had some through the ages.

However, one thing the Beatles and Lennon/McCartney, etc, etc never did was to use the same musical hook / cliche in almost every song.
No correction needed. The Beatles are spared from any inference of mediocrity. That group's magic was diminished somewhat after their breakup. And Sir Paul contributed more his share of songs silly and fluffy and forgettable. Course, John's sarcasm to Paul had Yoko's immeasurable contributions to his post Beatles output to answer for. What's worse listening to, today's pop music, or the Yoko Ono Band? It's dead even I think.

I've heard millennial's are one of the most debt burdened group ever. Going to college these days doesn't quite jibe with what the American dream use to. That is a very troubling aspect of the neoliberal economic world.

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by JDJX » 07 Jun 2018 19:50

rewfew wrote:
JDJX wrote:"Silly' songs are one thing... we have always had some through the ages.

No correction needed. The Beatles are spared from any inference of mediocrity. That group's magic was diminished somewhat after their breakup. And Sir Paul contributed more his share of songs silly and fluffy and forgettable. Course, John's sarcasm to Paul had Yoko's immeasurable contributions to his post Beatles output to answer for. What's worse listening to, today's pop music, or the Yoko Ono Band? It's dead even I think.

I've heard millennial's are one of the most debt burdened group ever. Going to college these days doesn't quite jibe with what the American dream use to. That is a very troubling aspect of the neoliberal economic world.
They are not the first (modern) generation to experience hardship and economic burdens by any stretch .
For examples... both of my parents lived through the great depression and WWII.
My generation had to deal with the cold war with the constant threat of nuclear annihilation.... and the Vietnam war/the draft in the US.

I think the the internet and all its false info took its toll on the millennials as they new the net since their birth
It became their only source of info.... good and bad.
They became convinced the their future was doomed as that is what they frequently read on the net.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 07 Jun 2018 20:19

JDJX wrote:
They are not the first (modern) generation to experience hardship and economic burdens by any stretch .
For examples... both of my parents lived through the great depression and WWII.
My generation had to deal with the cold war with the constant threat of nuclear annihilation.... and the Vietnam war/the draft in the US.
True, and not to stray too far from the thread, there seems to be this sense of "We'll make do with what we've got", "We'll grow our own food", "We'll make something out of nothing" and "We'll fix what we have rather than buy new" that were staples during the Great Depression...Rationing was a thing during WWII, but now that economic hard times are back, that same mentality seems to have disappeared...Maybe the younger generation just hasn't been hit hard enough to abandon their consumerist ways...My grandparents grew up on a farm during the Depression and even kept that mentality into the 1960's, still working on the farm...Nowadays, all that is like a distant memory...Farming and manufacturing ain't what it used to be and if you believe the hype, robots will soon be taking over many jobs that used to require the human touch and the cars will drive themselves...All I can say is that when the robots start singing and recording music (a.k.a. taking the soul out of it), I'm done! [-(

We are living in strange times, my friends! #-o

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by JDJX » 07 Jun 2018 20:48

Yeah... self reliance and just building something (anything) seems to be largely a thing of the past.

Instant gratification seems the be the main goal now.
Streaming music fits right into this mind set.

H. callahan

Post by H. callahan » 08 Jun 2018 04:08

The main problem/thing i see here is the shift of priority.

If we compare a time like the great depression with today, its pretty striking that you don´t need to do things yourself any more. Back then it was necessary to built things yourself, let´s say furniture for example. Destitution was the reason for that, but when you´ve built shelves yourself you did something usefull and reasonable.
Today you´d be silly to built furniture yourself, because there´s so much offering in new and used - due to the internet - and a lot of that is better or more suitable than you could built it yourself.
If you did built it yourself you´d always know that there was something better out there which even would have spared you time and money in comparison to building it yourself.
Such a thing can be devastating for one, because it doesn´t matter what you do there´s always someone/something better out there. This can kill motivation.

Now when you wanted to built up a music collection back in the old days you either had to go with vinyl or with tape.
If you went with vinyl you carefully selected which records to buy with your hard earned money - unless you were silly rich. Same goes for tape, you did listen and select what to record from the radio before you did record it, because your tapes did cost money.

Today you´d rather copy the music first and then listen to it, probably doing the selecting afterwards. And because collecting music doesn´t cost a lot any more you don´t need to look for quality. And because building up a big collection isn´t hard and doesn´t take time any more, there´s no real challenge or benefit in it like it used to be.

So the priority is shifted. It´s just arbitrary - and arbitrary things are bad for motivation.
Maybe todays music is bad because it´s the result of that arbitraryness, it reflects the arbitraryness of the internet/digital possibilities.
One of the digital possibilities are the social networks. If you wanted to get in touch with your friends before the internet you had to physically meet them, or ring them up or write a letter.
Ringing up did cost money, so you made your mind up before calling them what to tell them - writing a letter does take time and also some money, so you focus on the important things.
Today the complete world is just a click away - more or less for free - and there´s always something going on somewhere, whether it´s important or not, so why still take your time and busy yourself with music?
On your way to school, to work, to where-ever you now facebook or twitter etc. . You don´t take your time to listen to music like you once did, you´re busy all the time to not miss out all the stuff and loose your followers etc. .

So music no longer is something to immerse in, but just accompaniment - like the background music in a mall. Such music isn´t meant to be interesting, overwhelming etc., its just meant to be there and maybe lift your mood a little so you buy more products - and that´s it.

Priorities were shifted by the internet/social media a lot and music suffered pretty it seems.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 08 Jun 2018 04:28

And YET, whether we realize it or not...All this technology isn't necessarily good for us...

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... -new-focus

We're losing the power to concentrate, as the article suggests, whereas something like a vinyl record encourages greater concentration and takes a bit more effort/thought (finding a record to play, playing it, and all the related rituals that go along with it)! We're also shifting our attentions to some quite unimportant things, due to the very nature of social media! Something to think about, people! :-k

By the way, I still write letters, send cards and make long phone calls on occasion! :wink:

And despite what it may look like otherwise, I do get out and enjoy the sunshine once in a while! A little fresh air never hurt anybody! :D

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 08 Jun 2018 04:55

Regarding the music, too, ever notice that no one puts out a 10-minute or 15-minute opus of a song anymore? During the prog-rock days, those things were all the rage...Even classical pieces demanded our attention for a much longer stretch...But, I wonder with all these short attention spans nowadays, does anyone even take the time anymore to listen to anything longer than a minute? :-k

It's exactly why you hear more "hooks" in songs than you ever did, and right away...No build-ups, no intros, no prologues, no instrumental beginnings...Right to the vocals and the hooks, because artists can't afford for people to get turned off to their music in the first few seconds...

While I love a good 3-minute song like anyone, it appalls me that we've gotten so complacent and "lazy" that we can't suffer through a longer piece and actually enjoy it! Something like this, perhaps? 8)

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 08 Jun 2018 08:51

Once upon a time most pop songs were only about 2:30 long on average!

I agree though about some longer songs with good intros being very memorable.

Songs like:
-Green Eyed Lady-Sugarloaf
-Black Magic Woman-Santana
-Riders on The Storm-The Doors
-Suzie Q-Creedence Clearwater Revival

.....just to name a few.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 08 Jun 2018 10:37

Here's another one...

Just over a minute (1:09) before the vocal even kicks in! :shock:

rewfew
long player
long player

Post by rewfew » 09 Jun 2018 15:52

Though I'm obviously loath to the status of popular music currently, I feel a large part of this contribution is the bottom line of the music industry itself. And the youtube video bears that out somewhat. But I'm actually not so pessimistic of the Millennial's as seems to be singled out for here. They have their own struggles and demands to deal with. http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/20 ... ouseholds/
Maybe their perceived sense of entitlement is offset by disillusionment from what the baby boomers took for granted. Education translated to ascending lifestyle, housing, consumption. In general, a better future. Our economic/ political system, has taken the hard earned gains from our parents generation, (which we benefited greatly) and eroded it to a current state of stagnant wages, high housing, education, healthcare, childcare and generally cost of living. The millennial group just happen to grow up in a revolution of computing which like any revolution in history has unique consequence and outcomes. I actually have some faith that this current and ever to follow generation have the sense and will to evolve beyond our current entitlement's of the few.

reynolds617
United States of America

Post by reynolds617 » 09 Jun 2018 16:02

Check out my post on page 9. Good music is still being made. It’s just not on commercial radio.

rewfew
long player
long player

Post by rewfew » 09 Jun 2018 16:11

reynolds617 wrote:Check out my post on page 9. Good music is still being made. It’s just not on commercial radio.
Everyone know's that. No one denies this. I haven't joined to listen in on your selections, I'll give it a go.

reynolds617
United States of America

Post by reynolds617 » 09 Jun 2018 16:35

I only posted that because some respondents to this thread have posited that all contemporary music is rubbish. I was only trying to say that that’s not entirely true. You just have t dig for it. With the caveat of course that the definition of “good music” is highly subjective. ;)