Why Is Modern Pop Music So Terrible?

name that tune
JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America
Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

Re: Why Is Modern Pop Music So Terrible?

Post by JDJX » 01 Oct 2017 20:04

.......As for decent melody I bet a lot of parents didn't like any 60s pop.....
It's a given that we are all partial to the music that we grew up with.

However , actually, my parents did like a lot of the 60s rock..... at least the good rock like from the Beatles and other great groups like "Crosby, Stills & Nash" , etc.

Good music is not appreciated by just one generation and lives on and on.....
Classical music proves this. The Beatles prove this for another example.

Will we still be listening to any of today's droning sounds even 20 years from now ?

billshurv
long player
long player

Post by billshurv » 01 Oct 2017 21:13

well some of the beatles lyrics are completely hatstand and at the same time brilliantly innovative. Yellow submarine got through all that somehow...

Look back at the top twenty for any week in the last 30 years. Tell me how many of those tracks you listen to regularly? One, maybe two if it was a good week? There was dross then and dross now. Good stuff then and good stuff now.

I picked a random year (1973) and looked up the top 50 for that week
http://www.officialcharts.com/charts/si ... 0930/7501/
It was a suprisingly good week, but there is some real carp there.

Billboard hot 100 wasn't much better for that week. http://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-100/1973-10-06

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by JDJX » 01 Oct 2017 21:58

Of course the is always some crap music from any period. :)
......well some of the beatles lyrics are completely hatstand and at the same time brilliantly innovative. Yellow submarine got through all that somehow.........
"Yellow submarine" was/is about some barbiturates which are colored yellow. The Beatles did not pick the color "yellow" at random.
"Octopus's Garden" is a continuation of that theme.

So, like a lot of their songs it has a double meaning. :)

BTW, The "Stones" had their own barbiturate themed song with "Mother's Little Helper"

billshurv
long player
long player

Post by billshurv » 01 Oct 2017 22:17

Well the beatles themselves refute that, which only makes some people think it's true. After all truth can be boring :)

but we should focus on good new music and leave the dross to the commercial stations

Kurt45
United States of America

Post by Kurt45 » 01 Oct 2017 22:31

vinyl master wrote:Maybe I should sic this one on you guys??? :-k :twisted:

I can hear the groans now!! :lol:
Wow. That was surprisingly inane. Thanks, VM, for posting that.

In fairness to her, she is a self-created Youtube star, so presumably we would have never heard her if she'd had to break into the business twenty years ago.

If I'm honest, it is not unpleasant to listen to, as long as I don't focus on the lyrics or her singing ability. I guess I'm easy that way.

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by JDJX » 01 Oct 2017 23:11

billshurv wrote:Well the beatles themselves refute that, which only makes some people think it's true. After all truth can be boring :)
but we should focus on good new music and leave the dross to the commercial stations
Yeah, The Beatles were famous for telling false stories about their lyrics .
For example, to this day, Paul (playfully) insists that it was "cranberry sauce" at the end of "Strawberry Fields" instead of the correct "I'm very bored". :)
They seemed to take delight in their obviously false statements about their lyrics.

noisefreq
United States of America

Post by noisefreq » 02 Oct 2017 04:38

Spinner45 wrote:I like music where you can understand the lyrics, and has a decent melody.
Music, not noise. (cRap)
I find that music written by the performer is more enjoyable, too.
But the stuff out today, pretty much all lame noise.
Few decent ones today, Adele comes to mind.
I LIKE noise. Yeah, I know, hard to believe.

Noise music not "cRap" or whatever.
There are some innovations in rap songs because the style is so limited, you have to come up with something to sell. But I generally don't spend much time searching out rap.

I hear songs from the above mentioned^^^^^ pop stars on the top 40 stations or something my offspring plays on YouTube, and I hear the influences of experimental, electronic and noise music from 20 years ago.
Presets of whatever synth the "music producer" has at his/her disposal in the studio.

If Rebecca Black's song is recorded by her alone and not by someone else with synths, drum machines and vocal effects, then hats off to her for trying. Kind of reminiscent of wimpy 90's Europop with lyrics written by ...well, Rebecca.

I hear digital editing techniques used in the structure of songs that were originally devised years ago.
The chorus of Selena Gomez' "It Ain't Me" comes to mind. Choppy cut-ups technique. It's a sound that gets and keeps my attention because it's weird.

Now these pop songs exist in commerical music that are designed for teens to listen to in between the commericals or download onto their phone for a dollar. It's outrageous and often dissonant to catch the listener's ear.
But is it really any different than it was 30, 40 or 50 years ago?

I rarely ever like popular music. When a music artist gets "popular" I lose interest quickly because it becomes homogenized and "produced" sounding.
Designed for the masses.

IMO, Modern Pop Music is as terrible as it's always been unless you like it and then it's great.
My musical interests are just wider.

Arumatik49

Post by Arumatik49 » 02 Oct 2017 09:54

The Buggles told me that video killed the radio star. I assumed all music was down hill after that.

billshurv
long player
long player

Post by billshurv » 02 Oct 2017 10:10

JDJX wrote:
Yeah, The Beatles were famous for telling false stories about their lyrics .
For example, to this day, Paul (playfully) insists that it was "cranberry sauce" at the end of "Strawberry Fields" instead of the correct "I'm very bored". :)
They seemed to take delight in their obviously false statements about their lyrics.
Well depending which interviews you read they got very peeved with people reading things into the lyrics, which is why they wrote 'Glass Onion'.

But nothing like the fuss over the (very forgettable) Eezer Goode by the Shamen. That was hard to explain away.

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by JDJX » 02 Oct 2017 16:04

Well depending which interviews you read they got very peeved with people reading things into the lyrics, which is why they wrote 'Glass Onion'.......

That might be but, it's just an excuse to lie about their purposely often ambiguous lyrics.
Truth is, they liked the controversies as they often actively fostered it .

BTW, "Glass Onion" just relates to them living in the fishbowl of popularity and them having many layers to their personalities (like an onion).... and how their lyrics are often perilously ambitious/nonsensical... or blatantly serious.
They were indeed annoyed about the stupidity/ignorance of some in the general public and responded in a way only they could... with another rather ambiguous song....... often slyly condemning the ignorant with seemingly nonsensical lyrics... creating even more controversies. :)

plyscds
United States of America

Post by plyscds » 02 Oct 2017 18:36

"And this, too, shall pass away."

philbrown
United States of America

Post by philbrown » 04 Oct 2017 23:13

It's always been this way. Music manufactured to meet the popular taste has been there since the first drum was made. The drummer hit it in a way that pleased him or her and one of the listeners asked for a different beat.
Bingo.
Manufactured popular music.
For a view from the 50s see The Idolmaker starring Ray Sharkey.
Phil Brown

MonkeyBoy
long player
long player

Post by MonkeyBoy » 05 Oct 2017 03:19

JDJX wrote:
.......As for decent melody I bet a lot of parents didn't like any 60s pop.....
It's a given that we are all partial to the music that we grew up with.

However , actually, my parents did like a lot of the 60s rock..... at least the good rock like from the Beatles and other great groups like "Crosby, Stills & Nash" , etc.

Good music is not appreciated by just one generation and lives on and on.....
Classical music proves this. The Beatles prove this for another example.

Will we still be listening to any of today's droning sounds even 20 years from now ?
I was surprised when my mother, 86 years old, told me she liked a lot of The Beatles music we played when we were growing up. She still only listened to classical when she played music, but at least she liked the melodies of the music we played back then.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 05 Oct 2017 06:29

It's funny that my own mom used to listen to The Beatles religiously...Was an avid "Ed Sullivan" fan, too, and remembers when they were on the first time...Her mother couldn't understand why all the girls were screaming so loudly and used to tell her to "turn down that 'yeah, yeah, yeah' music"! My, how times have changed! If she thought The Beatles were bad... :shock:

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 05 Oct 2017 06:42

Of course, every once in a while, someone resurrects a classic...