Why Is Modern Pop Music So Terrible?

name that tune
rewfew
long player
long player

Re: Why Is Modern Pop Music So Terrible?

Post by rewfew » 27 May 2018 15:52

Skweek wrote:explain why this decline (over the best part of a generation now) exactly correlates to the decline in sales and profits.
You really believe companies related to the distribution of music are now languishing. The traditional physical product of music merchandise has declined in sales due to the wholesale shift of how music is distributed with digital technology. The industry has adapted in kind to maximize individual sales. Writers of music have not been paid commensurate to the structure afforded them during the pre digital era(s). Legislation has recently been enacted to ameliorate some of this discrepancy. Who knows, maybe having a greater initiative, the depth of music may benefit. The original youtube of this thread resonated with me to give some explanation to what my experience to trends in pop music are. It's just, my opinion man. That's what forums do for a subject matter. Whether yeah, nay, or what the hey.

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America
Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

Post by JDJX » 27 May 2018 22:15

Fact is, recording artists never made that much money from their records in the pre digital era.
They made their money mostly via personal appearances /concerts.

On of the main reason why the recording companies were all for digital DLs and streaming is simple..... They no longer needed to market a physical product.
It a marketer's m dream come true.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 28 May 2018 03:26

JDJX wrote:They no longer needed to market a physical product.
As long as there are concert (or artist) t-shirts for sale (another source of needed revenue for the bands!), there will ALWAYS be a PHYSICAL product to sell! T-shirts are ONE thing that they can't do digitally...

Don't even get me started on keychains, stickers, photos, mugs, and other assorted merchandise! [-X

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by JDJX » 28 May 2018 16:02

vinyl master wrote:
JDJX wrote:They no longer needed to market a physical product.
As long as there are concert (or artist) t-shirts for sale (another source of needed revenue for the bands!), there will ALWAYS be a PHYSICAL product to sell! T-shirts are ONE thing that they can't do digitally...

Don't even get me started on keychains, stickers, photos, mugs, and other assorted merchandise! [-X
Most of which have always been bootleg..... :)
In any event, even bootleg items can be like free advertisement for an artist.
I have even been to concerts in the past where bootleg items for the band appearing were being sold in the theater's lobby .

Even authorized items are did not give a band/artist that much revenue compare to personal appearances.

BTW, selling distal music via DL/streaming is lot like digital bills and digital payments that all companies are promoting.
I'm constantly being pestered to "go paperless" (read much cheaper for them).... just to increase their profits. :)

rewfew
long player
long player

Post by rewfew » 28 May 2018 16:35

JDJX wrote:BTW, selling distal music via DL/streaming is lot like digital bills and digital payments that all companies are promoting.
I'm constantly being pestered to "go paperless" (read much cheaper for them).... just to increase their profits.
Making/ maximizing profits know's no bounds in the hands of capitalism. What they can't squeeze out of the public by hook, they use the aid of politicians by crook. Net neutrality is their holy grail to control the flow, pun intended, of even more profit's.

reynolds617
United States of America

Post by reynolds617 » 06 Jun 2018 20:54

vinyl master wrote:As long as there are concert (or artist) t-shirts for sale (another source of needed revenue for the bands!), there will ALWAYS be a PHYSICAL product to sell! T-shirts are ONE thing that they can't do digitally...

The members of Joy Division and New Order can attest to that. They never really made their own merchandise until about 1989. As a result, they lost out on all those potential profits and the debts of their club, The Hacienda essentially ate up what profits they did make. When they got audited the tax man refused to believe they had no income from t-shirt sales and fined them a huge sum. This could only happen to them.

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by JDJX » 06 Jun 2018 23:40

Much more on the "millennial whoop" that has taken over much of today's pop/rock music.......

Young people today are being "sold" music not on its unique musical merits, but on its blatant familiarity.

https://www.google.com/search?q=milinia ... irefox-b-1

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 07 Jun 2018 00:19

Found this interesting, too...

So do we blame Max Martin and Dr. Luke for the mess we're now in? :-k

Remember, too, in the old days we had songs from John Lennon & Paul McCartney, Bob Dylan, Carole King & Gerry Goffin, Burt Bacharach & Hal David, Stevie Wonder, Ellie Greenwich & Jeff Barry, Barry Mann & Cynthia Weil, Johnny Mercer, Sammy Cahn & Jule Styne, Cole Porter, George & Ira Gershwin, Henry Mancini, Brian Wilson, The Brothers Gibb (Barry, Maurice & Robin), Nick Ashford & Valerie Simpson, Doc Pomus & Mort Shuman, Jerry Leiber & Mike Stoller, Billy Joel, Elton John & Bernie Taupin, John Bettis, Laura Nyro, Joni Mitchell, Paul Williams, Roger Nichols, Jimmy Webb, Holland-Dozier-Holland, Paul Simon, Smokey Robinson, Mick Jagger & Keith Richards, Chuck Berry, Ray Charles and many more songwriters of their calibre...If any of you are younger and do NOT recognize any of these names, please do yourself a favor and look them up...Either that, or start reading liner notes! :?

You want to know how to write the perfect song? Study the highlighted names above! =D>
Last edited by vinyl master on 07 Jun 2018 00:56, edited 6 times in total.

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by JDJX » 07 Jun 2018 00:35

Yeah.... that video was the very first post in this thread .
It's worth re-posting though. :)

BTW, I noticed this so-called "millennial woop" a few years ago...before I knew that it had a name.... and was repulsed by it.... by the relentless "ohhh eee ohhh....." in many new songs.
I even heard one band on SNL whose song was basically just one long millennial woop
over and over and over... ad nauseam.

I remember thinking... WTF happened to originally?

I also remember when "disco sucks' T- shiets were in vogue... I had one. :)
Perhaps we now need "The millennial woop sucks" T- shirts. :)

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by JDJX » 07 Jun 2018 02:33

For anyone who think the "millennial woop" is just in some old people's imaginations...

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by JDJX » 07 Jun 2018 02:42

One more........

reynolds617
United States of America

Post by reynolds617 » 07 Jun 2018 02:45

I’ve long suspected most of that and it makes me so angry. The cynicism of the industry is breathtaking.

I put my foot through the screen and sent Max Martin and Dr. Luke the bill.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 07 Jun 2018 03:29

I'm curious, but I wonder about the early origins of this "whoop"...Could it have roots in something like Gloria Estefan's "Oh-way-oh!" here...

Or The Time's "Oh-wee-oh-wee-oh"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2FPQvwhSDY

Let's throw these into the mix, too...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lQVG7Gf7I4 (The woo-hoos!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_r0n9Dv6XnY (The woah-ohs at the end...)

Or does it go back even further than that? People always argue about the first rock n' roll song...What about the first tune to feature the dreaded "millenial whoop", so we can have something to blame it on??? :? Thoughts? :-k

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by JDJX » 07 Jun 2018 04:52

The millennial whoop is quite specific in nature.

"The millennial whoop is a melodic pattern alternating between the fifth and third notes in a major scale, typically starting on the fifth, in the rhythm of straight 8th-notes, and often using the "wa" and "oh" syllables

This is quilt different than the "oohs and ahas", etc in other songs that do not follow the specific millennial woop pattern.

Also...from Wikipedia....
"The term was first coined by the musician Patrick Metzger, who described it in a blog entry on The Patterning in August 2016,[2] and later in a TED talk in February 2017.[4] He suggests that, while the millennial whoop gained popularity from the late 2000s to 2010s, it has probably always been around."

So, yes, it probably goes back a ways.
However, so do a lot of musical cliches but they are not used ad nauseum in so many songs like the millennial whoop now is.

billshurv
long player
long player

Post by billshurv » 07 Jun 2018 13:15

vinyl master wrote:
Remember, too, in the old days we had songs from Paul McCartney, B

He also gave us the frog chorus, which is seriously bad.