the home of the turntable

Why Is Modern Pop Music So Terrible?

name that tune

Why Is Modern Pop Music So Terrible?

Postby rewfew » 30 Sep 2017 18:09

Just another YouTube explaining what we already know, but with some statistical backup and reasoning that seems all too familiar and some not so. The Millennial whoop, God... I'd always thought of it as a Kumbaya chant. I feel vindicated in my loathing of this pablum after watching this tube.

rewfew

Re: Why Is Modern Pop Music So Terrible?

Postby analogaudio » 30 Sep 2017 19:13

I haven't watched the video but my brief exposure to the current "charts" via FM radio suggests that at least one thing is lacking that used to be essential to popular music. That is the ability of a creative musician or record producer to raise the interest level of a piece by interspersing variety in the melody and the rhythm. One way this can be done is by the invention (or theft) of a "hook" a brief musical motif that contrasts with the main musical body and may be quickly memorable, something that is easy to whistle or hum, or repeat. These seem to have been universal in popular music for decades, perhaps centuries. Unfortunately this seems to be a lost art, things reach a new low in the form of the "rap song", melodically and rhythmically devoid of variety.
Ted

Technics SL1600mk2, Ortofon VMS30, modified TEAC AH500 as a preamp, Bryston 4B ST amp, Harbeth M40 speakers, all making musical magic :-)
analogaudio
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby TudorTurtle » 30 Sep 2017 20:06

GET OFF MY LAWN! or (don't any of you guys have teenagers?) :)

Teens should play music parents hate.
I say it's a healthy sign...they might not end up living in your basement. My son and I do share some music but his rap stuff is proof to me things are OK.

All good,
TT
TudorTurtle
contributor

United States of America

Postby vinyl master » 30 Sep 2017 20:46

Lyrical intelligence has gone down? :-k Maybe people's intelligence has gone down...We've been DUMBED DOWN! Our attention spans are shorter? THANK GOODNESS FOR VINYL, because it causes us to focus on the music and not constantly switch from song to song! :D

And I see we have Max Martin and Dr. Luke to blame, too! :-k

He's right about a lot of things in that video, and let's not forget the constant use of Auto-Tune, as well...

People have no imagination anymore or the creative urge...Either that or the record companies want their artists to play it safe and not break any boundaries or new ground, since unfamiliarity can affect record sales...

To that I say HOGWASH!!! Name me almost any genre and I could probably name you a RECENT creative artist coming up with quality, intelligent music in that genre...Name me an artist from the past that you love and I could probably recommend a similar NEW artist that you would like...The problem is...Sometimes you have to look harder to find this music, and it usually won't end up on the pop charts at #1...But, it IS out there for the discovery! People just have to be willing to explore outside of their limited bubble and be patient enough to give the music a chance to grow on them...People will turn off a song if it doesn't impress them within several seconds and sometimes, it takes literally several repeated listens for it to stick with you...

YouTube and TV talent shows have changed things, too...And yes, there is some BRAINWASHING go on, as well...We ARE complacent! The "exposure effect" is also out there...A truly great song will be great 5 years from now, 10 years from now, 20 years from now...How many #1 or Top 10 songs today will be that great years from now? Is it any wonder that most of us gravitate to music that is 20-30-40 years old? Why do people go back to artists like Pink Floyd, CCR, Simon & Garfunkel, etc. (In my case, Earth, Wind & Fire, Stevie Wonder & Michael Jackson)? Maybe because there was some thought, creativity, intelligence behind the sound? More complicated instrumentation, creative hooks and plenty of chord changes? REAL songwriting? Maybe all of that? Back in the day, a record might make you think about, ponder, and absorb the lyrics...Nowadays, the record companies and artists don't want you to strain your brain too much, reading into the message too much...And that's a shame! It seems that real poetry and literature have gone out of society at about the same time that pop lyrics have become "dumbed down"...Country music may still have some intelligent things to say and may have an interesting way of saying those things, but if it isn't about partying, drinking beer or a one-night stand, it probably won't be popular...Today's country is not your dad's George Jones-Hank Williams-Johnny Cash kind of country...It sounds a lot more like today's pop, too...And yet, there are people like Sturgill Simpson, Chris Stapleton and Ashley Munroe trying to wave the traditional flag somewhat and keep the "classic sound" alive...They'll win Grammys...You just won't hear them on the radio...

We here on VE like to talk about artists such as Thea Gilmore, Courtney Barnett, Jill Barber, Cecile McLorin Salvant, Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilson...We often praise such music in glowing terms, but will any of that music be heard on the radio any time soon? Will any of those artists have a #1 hit on the pop charts? I doubt that anytime soon! Of course, if it's the latest from someone like Drake, Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber, Selena Gomez (Insert your own "star" here...), etc., it's almost guaranteed to be a bona fide hit on the radio! Not saying that those artists are necessarily "bad", but their dominance on the charts almost guarantees that other, lesser-known but even greater artists don't even stand a chance to succeed...

Just a few things to think about there, and I'd love to hear what you guys have to say that can add to the discussion...This has been a topic that has crossed my mind often in recent years, but no one seems to have addressed it properly...
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Postby vinyl master » 30 Sep 2017 20:53

Listen to the words, especially the chorus on this one...I can't tell you if this was a hit, but it does tell you a bit about the state of popular music nowadays...

And yes, WORDS do do a song justice...It's lamentable, though, that there aren't any decent ones in that song... :(
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Postby vinyl master » 30 Sep 2017 20:56

Maybe I should sic this one on you guys??? :-k :twisted:

I can hear the groans now!!! :lol:
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Postby Roberto C2H3 » 01 Oct 2017 00:45

I have no idea. I listen to none of it voluntarily what so ever. When I listen to it randomly (I do not watch TV so its from a radio in a cab), I cringe #-o
"Be civil to all; sociable to many; familiar with few; friend to one; enemy to none." Benjamin Franklin
Roberto C2H3
long player
long player

Argentina

Postby ham-shack » 01 Oct 2017 01:09

vinyl master wrote:Maybe I should sic this one on you guys??? :-k :twisted:

I can hear the groans now!!! :lol:

Oooops... I meant to click on "report this post" not quote. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Just Kidding.... I think.... :mrgreen:
ham-shack

United States of America

Postby billshurv » 01 Oct 2017 01:30

TudorTurtle wrote:
Teens should play music parents hate.

+1 Been happening since the dawn of popular music.
billshurv

United Kingdom

Postby Vinylfreak86 » 01 Oct 2017 08:45

It is not problematic, that one producer is making music for different groups. But in the past they were making music with heart, now they are only thinking about money.
Vinylfreak86

Slovenia

Postby Tonybro » 01 Oct 2017 09:12

A lot of good points Vinylfreak86 has the reading of it. The music industry now deals with 'Product' not 'Music'. They have to keep releasing 'Product' to keep the young (short attention span) buying or consuming. By it becoming 'Product' no one producing it has any interest in quality - they just want to keep it churning out...

Don't get me wrong, there was a pile of sh*t released in the 50s/60s/70s/80s/90s but at least it was creative sh*t!
Tony
Linn LP12, Hercules II, AudioMods Classic, Ortofon Cadenza Red
Technics SL1200 Mk2 'Blooey' Nagaoka MP500
Linn Axis Basik Plus Arm Denon DL-110
STD 305S SME3009 II Shure V15 III
Tonybro
long player
long player

United Kingdom

Postby Spinner45 » 01 Oct 2017 09:22

I like music where you can understand the lyrics, and has a decent melody.
Music, not noise. (cRap)
I find that music written by the performer is more enjoyable, too.
But the stuff out today, pretty much all lame noise.
Few decent ones today, Adele comes to mind.
Spinner45

United States of America

Postby tckmet » 01 Oct 2017 11:12

Spinner45 wrote:I like music where you can understand the lyrics, and has a decent melody.
Music, not noise. (cRap)
I find that music written by the performer is more enjoyable, too.
But the stuff out today, pretty much all lame noise.
Few decent ones today, Adele comes to mind.

But even Adele had succumb to the political correctness cRap to apologies for Her talent to inferiour music/noise :roll: so it goes deeper than what we think. Money, Mind Craft, and Control :twisted:
tckmet
contributor

United States of America

Postby JDJX » 01 Oct 2017 15:05

One problem is the bean counters in all media forums now just want to produce/sell the same pablum BS over and over.... just foster proven money makers on the public.
The same goes for the vast majority of performers who just want to be just like the cookie cutter boring masses.

During the heyday of the 45 and "top 40" radio, the goal was to be different and better.

Also yelling and forcing a run on almost every note has largely taken the place of good singing... again because most everyone does it.

If anyone ever saw the movie "Pirate Radio", it nicely and honestly illustrate how important good music once was to the masses.
Now, music is often just droning background music and/or listened to with earbuds.

BTW, Carlos Santana has said that his father once told him to consider the beat the masculine part of the music and the melody the feminine part and you must and marry the two.
Now, a lot of music just mostly has the masculine part... the beat.

Having said all that, it seems that some in the younger generations are discovering classic rock - pop and embracing it fully.
So, maybe there is some hope for the future. :)

One example......a 14 year old rising star from Romania, an extremely talented guitarist, who gets good music. :)

*Thorens 165 with M97xE
*Lounge Audio phono pre
*NAD C-350 amp
JDJX
long player
long player

Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

United States of America

Postby billshurv » 01 Oct 2017 18:16

Spinner45 wrote:I like music where you can understand the lyrics, and has a decent melody.
Music, not noise. (cRap)

Well unless you view of popular music ended with the great american songbook, you are selectively forgetting all the music from 60s, 70s, 80s that would have fallen into that category, basically from the point LSD came widely available.

As for decent melody I bet a lot of parents didn't like any 60s pop.

In fact modern pop music is good, just commercial playlist music isn't, as has been said. Protunes and soundcloud means anyone can release music. You aren't tied to a big label and associated A&R. It's a great time to be a music lover. Just avoid stations with a top 40 playlist. If you are over 25 you are not their market.
billshurv

United Kingdom

Next

Return to Music and Records