the home of the turntable

The Album Cover Art of Reid Miles

name that tune

The Album Cover Art of Reid Miles

Postby cminor7b5 » 13 Sep 2017 00:01

Wondering if people are familiar with the album cover photography and design by Reid Miles?

From Wiki: Miles was hired in his own right around 1955 by Francis Wolff of the jazz record label Blue Note to design album covers when the label began releasing their recordings on 12" LPs. Miles designed several hundred covers, frequently incorporating the session photographs of Francis Wolff and, later, his own photographs,

Image Image Image Image

After moving more into photography he became know for his "Norman Rockwell" approach. He would photograph everyone individually, pick the shots with the best expressions and then emulsion strip them all together into a composite. All pre-photoshop. A now dead art.

Here's a Chicago cover he did.

Quite the interesting career.
• 2017 Rega Planar 2 • Rega Carbon cartridge
• Mingda MC34A Integrated Amp • Totem Rainmaker
cminor7b5

Canada

Re: The Album Cover Art of Reid Miles

Postby vinyl master » 13 Sep 2017 09:54

Sounds like an unsung hero to me! We all know about (or should know about) the work of Roger Dean, Hipgnosis, Storm Thorgerson, Phil Hartman (Yes, THAT Phil Hartman!), Alex Steinweiss, Andy Warhol, Peter Max, Jack Davis, Mati Klarwein, Burt Goldblatt, David Stone Martin, Josef Albers and many others, but thank you for introducing us to a new name...Reid Miles! I'm sure I have plenty of albums in the collection designed by him, too!

It makes me wonder, too...How many of you have some of these iconic albums, but never thought about who actually designed them??? :-k
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Postby cminor7b5 » 13 Sep 2017 13:14

vinyl master wrote:Sounds like an unsung hero to me! We all know about (or should know about) the work of Roger Dean, Hipgnosis, Storm Thorgerson, Phil Hartman (Yes, THAT Phil Hartman!), Alex Steinweiss, Andy Warhol, Peter Max, Jack Davis, Mati Klarwein, Burt Goldblatt, David Stone Martin, Josef Albers and many others, but thank you for introducing us to a new name...Reid Miles! I'm sure I have plenty of albums in the collection designed by him, too!

It makes me wonder, too...How many of you have some of these iconic albums, but never thought about who actually designed them??? :-k

Could you elaborate on Phil Hartman?
cminor7b5

Canada

Postby davidsss » 13 Sep 2017 13:22

Very much 50s/60s design in those first 4 covers. I really like design from that era. I used to work as a graphic designer and first learned design before computers took over. You really had to work out imaginative ways to make an effect work and I think not having a computer to do it for you made designers more imaginative - limited by tools the imagination ran wild.

Love good design.

DS
Micro Seiki BL51 TT, Stax UA7 Tonearm, RCM Sensor Prelude Phono Stage, Dynavector XX-2 MkII Cart, Rotel RCD865BX Cd Player, Melody I34R amp and Osborn Epitome Speakers.
davidsss
long player
long player
contributor

Australia

Postby vinyl master » 13 Sep 2017 21:51

cminor7b5 wrote:
vinyl master wrote:Sounds like an unsung hero to me! We all know about (or should know about) the work of Roger Dean, Hipgnosis, Storm Thorgerson, Phil Hartman (Yes, THAT Phil Hartman!), Alex Steinweiss, Andy Warhol, Peter Max, Jack Davis, Mati Klarwein, Burt Goldblatt, David Stone Martin, Josef Albers and many others, but thank you for introducing us to a new name...Reid Miles! I'm sure I have plenty of albums in the collection designed by him, too!

Could you elaborate on Phil Hartman?

You may find this interesting, but long before SNL comedian Phil Hartman was a funnyman extraordinaire, he was a graphic designer and created many album covers and logos! Poco's "Legend", America's "Harbor" and "History: America's Greatest Hits" were just some of them...He even designed America's logo, among others...Check these out, too...

https://www.fastcodesign.com/3044107/8- ... il-hartman

Interestingly, Steely Dan's "Aja" has also been attributed to him, but has since been debunked...Still, the rumor persists...

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/d ... er.475472/
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Postby cminor7b5 » 13 Sep 2017 23:06

vinyl master wrote:You may find this interesting, but long before SNL comedian Phil Hartman was a funnyman extraordinaire, he was a graphic designer and created many album covers and logos! Poco's "Legend", America's "Harbor" and "History: America's Greatest Hits" were just some of them...He even designed America's logo, among others...Check these out, too...

https://www.fastcodesign.com/3044107/8- ... il-hartman

Interestingly, Steely Dan's "Aja" has also been attributed to him, but has since been debunked...Still, the rumor persists...

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/d ... er.475472/

I did not know that! Very interesting info on PH.
cminor7b5

Canada

Postby cminor7b5 » 13 Sep 2017 23:15

davidsss wrote:Very much 50s/60s design in those first 4 covers. I really like design from that era. I used to work as a graphic designer and first learned design before computers took over. You really had to work out imaginative ways to make an effect work and I think not having a computer to do it for you made designers more imaginative - limited by tools the imagination ran wild.

Love good design.

DS

DS: I still work as a graphic designer in a large corporation. I'm 61 and at this stage in my career I much prefer to work client-side, than agency-side.

Computers are great in many ways but they definitely change the way you design and not always for the better. The cost and time involved in pre-computer graphic design meant you had to put a lot more effort into concept and planning. Every agency had in-house proofreading. Mistakes were too costly so we tried our best to prevent them.

Computers makes it easier for anyone to design. But this makes it harder for anyone to be a Master or an expert. Computer chops do not replace knowledge of design history, design theory, proper typography, etc. The computer is really just the tool. The designer still needs to come up with new, usable concepts or it's just desktop publishing not graphic design.
cminor7b5

Canada

Postby cminor7b5 » 13 Sep 2017 23:22

Andy Warhol has designed/illustrated many well known album covers.

He got his start doing jazz album covers for the Prestige label.

Image Image Image Image
cminor7b5

Canada

Postby davidsss » 14 Sep 2017 12:11

cminor7b5 wrote:
davidsss wrote:Very much 50s/60s design in those first 4 covers. I really like design from that era. I used to work as a graphic designer and first learned design before computers took over. You really had to work out imaginative ways to make an effect work and I think not having a computer to do it for you made designers more imaginative - limited by tools the imagination ran wild.

Love good design.

DS

DS: I still work as a graphic designer in a large corporation. I'm 61 and at this stage in my career I much prefer to work client-side, than agency-side.

Computers are great in many ways but they definitely change the way you design and not always for the better. The cost and time involved in pre-computer graphic design meant you had to put a lot more effort into concept and planning. Every agency had in-house proofreading. Mistakes were too costly so we tried our best to prevent them.

Computers makes it easier for anyone to design. But this makes it harder for anyone to be a Master or an expert. Computer chops do not replace knowledge of design history, design theory, proper typography, etc. The computer is really just the tool. The designer still needs to come up with new, usable concepts or it's just desktop publishing not graphic design.

This is so true, the computer is a tool. Tools do affect our work but, yeah, colour separating bromides, ruby lith etc were a pain.

Good design is invaluable. You can teach someone how to use a tool but it takes talent to design.

So much good design on record covers, part of the enjoyment.

DS
Micro Seiki BL51 TT, Stax UA7 Tonearm, RCM Sensor Prelude Phono Stage, Dynavector XX-2 MkII Cart, Rotel RCD865BX Cd Player, Melody I34R amp and Osborn Epitome Speakers.
davidsss
long player
long player
contributor

Australia

Return to Music and Records